GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,365 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Herbaceous» Forums » Variants

Subject: Feed the Guinea Pig rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Mayer
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Small variant for those who like guinea pigs:

After each time you pot herbs, you may 'feed the guinea pig' by taking any number of herbs that are in your private garden (never from the common garden) and placing them off to one side in your 'guinea pig pile.' These herbs are out-of-play. When the game is over, herbs in your guinea pig pile are worth 2 points each. (As opposed to 1 point each for each un-planted herb left in your private garden at the end of the game).

That's it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Baraf
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We used to have Guinea Pigs.

I love this. Can't wait to try it!
~Ed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be interesting if instead of a straight 2 points/herb donated to the guinea pig, points are awarded in the order of who donated most, then second most, etc. maybe even award count numbered herbs as more. This would give those numbered herbs another ability beyond the glass jar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mayer
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
colmustard21 wrote:
I think it would be interesting if instead of a straight 2 points/herb donated to the guinea pig, points are awarded in the order of who donated most, then second most, etc. maybe even award count numbered herbs as more. This would give those numbered herbs another ability beyond the glass jar.

I like that idea.

After trying out my original variant a couple of times, I think that for the most part it doesn't make sense to feed the guinea pig until the very end, which is okay theme-wise, but it could be improved upon game-wise I think, and your suggestion may improve on that.

Or, I had another idea, which I'll post below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mayer
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

An Alternate Feed the Guinea Pig variant:

After each time you pot, you may select one and only one herb from your private garden to put into the 'Feed the Guinea' Pig pile. At the end of the game you score points based on this scale:

1 herb: 2pts
2 herbs: 6pts
3 herbs: 10pts
4 herbs: 14pts

(it's the same scale as the identical herb card).

And if you like the idea: Special Herbs are worth their point value if fed to the guinea pig.

The point of the alternate variant? This way you have a difficult decision of giving up herbs early in the game, herbs you might need later, in order to score big with the guinea pig.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.