Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing the Alliance mode solo tonight (and I found it to be even more fun than the competitive game to the point where I wish there were more end bosses for variety), and it seemed thematically odd that Malaphyas' second side would still be summoning monsters and firing bolts once you'd taken down his blue side, since the similar, inherent abilities do disappear.

I didn't find anything in the rules (though I've been known to be blind to them), so I played that he still did as instructed in the Alliance rules. I was more just curious what others thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, I thought of the bolts and summoning as more of an effect from the Throne room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. The villain also summons on his blue side at the start of combat, though.

Still, it can justify the rule (assuming I have the rule correct).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
The random Major/Minor summoning and bolt throwing are part of the throne room rules, and happen regardless of which side he is on. The fixed Major summoning (his power) only happens on his blue side, and happens in the throne room and the sewers. The second line on his power listing about throwing bolts is likely a reminder for the throne room that should have been edited out (ie errata).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:
The random Major/Minor summoning and bolt throwing are part of the throne room rules, and happen regardless of which side he is on. The fixed Major summoning (his power) only happens on his blue side, and happens in the throne room and the sewers. The second line on his power listing about throwing bolts is likely a reminder for the throne room that should have been edited out (ie errata).

hmmmm... oh u are likely right, is a misprint... the bolt part is not on the rulebook under her powers... sighs CMON, they misprint that in the reference sheet ?

if this is correct I`m playing that boss wrong (no playing alliance, but PvP) though she is pretty fun like that lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Castle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
silverbowen wrote:

But, it says that you roll for a minor/major monster type for when he summons, so you could assume that it applies to his character ability and doesn't happen immediately, just as lightning is mentioned in his character ability but refers to Grimbolts.
The major monster roll could in fact, just be an old version of the throne room rule that hasn't been updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bouncy wrote:
The major monster roll could in fact, just be an old version of the throne room rule that hasn't been updated.

This is my take on that whole situation too. The rulebook version and the player reference card version are too similar for it to be a coincidence or designed that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bumping this thread for clarification:

- Throne room effect shoots magic bolt at the beginning of each turn.
- Throne room effect summons a random monster at the beginning of each turn.
- Malaphyas (blue side) summons a random Major monster at the beginning of combat.

Are those correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ebbe Cee
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
Esvath wrote:

- Malaphyas (blue side) summons a random Major monster at the beginning of combat.

Are those correct?

Bumping in hopes for verification on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EbbeC wrote:
Esvath wrote:

Are those correct?

Bumping in hopes for verification on this.

I think you are correct in all points...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.