dang okra
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi we were playing a game and one of the hero players said that the game isn't balanced because the villain is allowed to see the action dice, giving them the advantage of staying one move ahead, However we couldn't find this in the rules anywhere. I think the hero players are too op to have that extra ability to hide their dice. Can someone clarify this ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
The Nicholas Cage of games! Oh god, not the beeeeeesssss!
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, that's not a thing. Action dice are out in the open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dang okra
Australia
flag msg tools
Yep that's what I thought as well. However the argument is that if it does not prohibit it or say it explicitly in the rule book then what's is stopping the player from doing so. Sorry about the extended question, I'm dealing with a lawyer here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mostman wrote:
Yep that's what I thought as well. However the argument is that if it does not prohibit it or say it explicitly in the rule book then what's is stopping the player from doing so. Sorry about the extended question, I'm dealing with a lawyer here.

Well, the rule book also doesn't prohibit you from hitting the hero players with a broom and stealing their wallets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mb
It isn't that big of an advantage. We've played nine times now and the heroes a villains are fairly balanced. I'd go so far as to say the villain needs to see them to help them make a good choices.

So I wonder if your group feels that seeing the villain cards is also overpowered for the heroes? Seeing them gives lots of valuable information to heroes, like defense icons in play and other in play abilities. This allows them to really prioritize their play. When you think of this both sides have the same advantage.

If you decide that heroes can hide their dice, you should probably also allow the villain to hide their cards.

One other thing is that keeping the dice and cards all out in the open keeps people honest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
I haven't found there to be any issues with the villain knowing the heroes dice rolls. I mean, there's 5 or 6 dice for each hero -- just because you know what they are doesn't mean you know how they're going to be used. "Oh, look, he has two skateboards, a katana, a shuriken and a shell; I bet he's going to range attack Karai, charge her with a melee attack, and then run behind that wall." Yeah, not seeing it, especially since plans can change on the fly depending on how combat resolves.

And if you are being predictable, then it's hardly the fault of the game mechanic that your plans get spoiled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, in board games, everything the rules don't tell you that you can do, you can't.

Now why am I subscribed to this game? I guess it's because I saw TMNT on a cover somewhere and was reminded of my childhood?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Wood
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this game enough to say something here. I really do not think the villian player has an advantage by seeing the other players dice. He gets to play two cards each time. If there is any advantage there at all, it is insignificant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
mostman wrote:

Kick him in the nuts and say that since he didn't tell you couldn't... you could.

I would never advocate theft!!! Just violence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Brownscombe
Australia
Faulconbridge
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the Dice are supposed to be out in the open otherwise with 4 turtle players how are the supposed to co-ordinate the best tactics to use

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our experience, when the heroes are controlled by experienced players, they will have the advantage over the most experienced villain in most scenarios. That said, the game is very well balanced with the dice information being available to the villain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.