XCOM: The Board Game – Evolution» Forums » Rules

Subject: Exalt tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Sonne
Denmark
flag msg tools
Hi guys.
So we've been through 10 games or so, but we're still a bit confused about the exalt token removal rules.

Here's how I understand it.

When you roll on a dangerous task, due to EXALT, you can use a succes to remove the token. You can roll on a completed task, to try to push and remove a token.
This makes great sense for researchers, satelites and global defense where 1 researcher/satelite/interceptor = 1 xcom die

However, what about the squad leader?
Let's say you have 2 enemies in the base and you have assigned 1 sniper and 1 elite heavy.
Enemy 1: Crosshair icon. 1 die
Enemy 2: Yellow crosshair, yellow explosion. 5 dice
Obviously, I would go for enemy 2 first, because that's 5 dice, I might even kill the enemy and remove the exalt token in 1 go. But this seems a bit odd still, that it's easier to remove a token on some enemies rather than others.

What if I kill both enemies with tech cards. How many dice should be rolled to try to remove the exalt token? The same issue goes for the mission tasks.
I've been looking through the rules several times, but I can't seem to find a clarifying answer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misfiring Chong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it like this: EXALT is trying to sabotage your base defense effort. In other words, they only appear when you're fighting the aliens in order to push the odds a bit more against you. When you have no enemies to fight, they hide themselves within your base. Now, when fighting enemies that you have advantage of (specializations), you have the "room" to also pursue and kill the EXALTs. When you're fighting an uphill battle (less dicce), you don't have the room to also deal with EXALT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first instinct is that you have to have symbols there to allow soldiers to roll.

On the other hand, it feels right to allow you to continue making the same roll to push further - one way to allow that would be to say that enemies only die when you're done rolling against them, even if you've got enough successes to kill them - just like you can keep rolling against Research or UFOs after you've got the required successes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The EXALT token is dealt differently as far as the mechanics are related because you technically have no icon to match with the soldiers.

You can assign a Raven to fight Exalt over a continent with no UFOs and just roll 1 Xcom die vs the DANGER die... same in the orbital defense task. When you fight EXALT in the labs you CAN use salvage to roll an extra die but the problem comes if you are fighting Exalt in absence of enemies in the base (which only happens in theory: there's always at least one enemy in the base) or in the mission.

Let's make an example: you already killed the only alien that attacked the base and now you're at threat level 3 with only the exalt token remaining.
Assuming you have a MEC still standing and 2 more soldiers, how many dice would you roll against the DANGER die?

Your odds at this point are 50-50.
I think the MEC and Elite should roll 2 dice each and any other soldier just one die so you need to take a risk by rolling the appropriate number of XCom dice and this is the way I see it should work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The trouble with being able to roll against an empty base rather than having to roll against an enemy (even if it's already dead) is that it raises the question of whether you can roll against an EXALT token rather than an enemy even when there are enemies there? How about if there's a Floater with Evade and you've missed with your one roll? Does it make a difference if there are 3 enemies present, so no empty slots?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Smith
msg tools
The rules say that you do not have to resolve the alien immediately, you can choose to keep rolling, but the alien stays in play until you are done rolling. This solves the problem of not knowing how many die to roll against the token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dutchysaurus wrote:
The rules say that you do not have to resolve the alien immediately, you can choose to keep rolling, but the alien stays in play until you are done rolling. This solves the problem of not knowing how many die to roll against the token.

No the rules say you may only keep rolling to remove EXALT for Global (Interceptor) and Orbital (Satellite) defence tasks against UFO's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shwayne wrote:
Dutchysaurus wrote:

No the rules say you may only keep rolling to remove EXALT for Global (Interceptor) and Orbital (Satellite) defence tasks against UFO's.

From the FAQ:

Quote:
Once I have enough success tokens on a tach, enemy, or mission, can I continue rolling in an attempt to also remove EXALT tokens?

Yes. Research, Enemy and Mission tasks that have the required number of success tokens do not need to be resolved immediately, Players may choose to push in order to remove an EXALT Token on that task.

The next question then says that Global/Orbital Defense tasks can be continued after all the UFOs are gone as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.