GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,804 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ability Timing and Death rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Abdelrhaman Mohamed
United Arab Emirates
Dubai
DXB
flag msg tools
mbmb

Hey

To use ability or card abilities 1st you have to engage the monsters can you then use Teleport or Swap to run away? or u must take the damage from 1 or 2 monsters then you can Teleport out of the room?

Example you walk into a room spawn monster or monsters then use ur dice to activate teleport to escape a confirmed death if damaged? since you automatically Fight when you encounter a monster

Also you encounter a room with 2 monsters you fight 1st kill it do you take the EXP and Card then fight the 2nd monster? or you must Fight both then get EXP if you killed and if you ended up getting killed by the 2nd monster you lose that EXP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Doughty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
...are better than one.
badge
Isaiah 41
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that once you engage in battle you are in it till the end and can't escape it.

Also when 2 or more monsters are in the room you don't get any xp or treasure cards until after you fight everything. So for example you fight 2 monsters. You kill the first but then you don't kill the 2nd monster. You take that damage and then you would get the xp for the first kill and applicable treasure card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ho
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
To use ability or card abilities 1st you have to engage the monsters can you then use Teleport or Swap to run away? or u must take the damage from 1 or 2 monsters then you can Teleport out of the room?

You have to finish the fight first and if you survive the fight then you can teleport afterwards.

Quote:
Also you encounter a room with 2 monsters you fight 1st kill it do you take the EXP and Card then fight the 2nd monster? or you must Fight both then get EXP if you killed and if you ended up getting killed by the 2nd monster you lose that EXP.

As above, you have to fight through all the monsters. If you defeat the first one but lose the second one (meaning you took the payback damage but did not die), then you get the XP and rewards for killing the first monster. Take the rewards after the entire battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DrProfHazzmatt
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Riding the Kickstarter hype train since 2015.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember the rules correctly (They're not in front of me atm) you actually cannot use abilities, treasure cards, etc, once you actually engage monsters.

All abilities, and any treasure cards that you're going to use for a fight need to be done before you actually engage the monsters (The one exception to this that I can think of being Stump's base ability).

In regards to teleporting before combat, there is a big discussion going on in the thread about the treasure card Divine Heal and whether it can be used pre-combat or not. The discussion has expanded a bit to include teleportation and swap cards as well I believe.

I originally was of the opinion that you can do these things before combat based on the small box on one page that lists the things you can do before combat. One of them just says "Play treasure cards" which implies any treasure card. However, a little further on there is a section that talks about combat a bit more in depth where it specifically calls out that you can only use treasure cards to generate symbols.

As such, I'm now of the opinion that cards like teleportation, hero swap, and divine heal cannot be use pre-combat and you MUST deal with the combat.

...But then I think of the invisibility card. Hmm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Matheus
Brazil
Juiz de Fora
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can swap or use teleport(card) before combat begins.

The rules about generating simbols on cards was to avoid teleport and such efects as invisibility and etc in the midle of combat, as those could be realy confusing ruleswise.

Healing takes place after combat, so using cards or dice that heals or generates elixirs will happen last at that room. You can get defeated before healing takes place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darla Truitt
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I've found this all very confusing too. But my impression now is that before you engage in battle (keep in mind starting a battle is action) you can use abilities and play treasures not pertaining to ranged/melee/shields, but after you begin battle the only treasures you can play are those ranged/melee/shield treasures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LuckyDwarf wrote:
I've found this all very confusing too. But my impression now is that before you engage in battle (keep in mind starting a battle is action) you can use abilities and play treasures not pertaining to ranged/melee/shields, but after you begin battle the only treasures you can play are those ranged/melee/shield treasures.

this is my understanding.

the rulebook states actually that the ONLY actions you can take with monster in the room are:
- Fight a monster
- Use an ability
- Use Magic
- Play a treasure card

as long as you use treasure cards and ability BEFORE or END of combat you are good. only ability / treasures card that can be use in the middle of combat are the ones that give you ranged/melee/defense (those that help combat itself)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hughes
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
PMatheus wrote:

The rules about generating simbols on cards was to avoid teleport and such efects as invisibility and etc in the midle of combat, as those could be realy confusing ruleswise.

Healing takes place after combat, so using cards or dice that heals or generates elixirs will happen last at that room. You can get defeated before healing takes place.

I want to make sure I'm comprehending this correctly,

Does this apply if you start your turn with a monster in the room? IE, opponent moves a monster in your room, your turn comes, can you then play Teleport/Swap/Invisibility to avoid combat with this monster?

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
evercross wrote:
PMatheus wrote:

I want to make sure I'm comprehending this correctly,

Does this apply if you start your turn with a monster in the room? IE, opponent moves a monster in your room, your turn comes, can you then play Teleport/Swap/Invisibility to avoid combat with this monster?

Thanks,

Yes, you can. Treasure cards are one of the limited actions you have available before fighting. Performing Combat is an Action. You don't fight until you say you are performing the Combat action, so you can perform other actions before hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.