GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,304 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Playing options with the MoM expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrei Bugeanu
Romania
flag msg tools
Hello,

I've just bought the expansion for Eldritch Horror, Mountain of Madness and I'm a little bit confused about this part of the rule

"This side board is only used if Rise of the Elder Things is the
Ancient One or when using the Doomsayer From Antarctica
Prelude card"

So my question is this:

I cannot play with the new map of Antarctica if one of those conditions are not fulfilled?

How about if I will not pick the Doomsayer From Antarctica
Prelude card and not Rise of the Elder Things Ancient One ??? I cannot play with the new map/gates/focus tokens/Antarctica Adventure cards/Antarctica research cards?

Can anyone put a little light on me

Thank you in advance!

NOTE: for example I saw that there are other Prelude Cards which I would like to play with them and maybe I would like to combine with a monster from the base game, not necessarily with the Rise of the Elder Things Ancient One.

Have a great day!whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yes, you only use the Antarctica side board if you are against Rise of the Elder Things AO or using the "Doomsayer from Antarctica" Prelude card.

The game is playable if you decide to simply include Antarctica regardless, but Elder Things/Doomsayer come with more ingame reasons to visit Antarctica, so the sideboard is integrated into the game better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackS0ull wrote:
"This side board is only used if Rise of the Elder Things is the
Prelude card"

So my question is this:

I cannot play with the new map of Antarctica if one of those conditions are not fulfilled?
According to the rules, you cannot.
As usual, you're free to ignore/modify the rules any way you like as long as all players agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Bugeanu
Romania
flag msg tools
Hello guys,

Many thanks for the clarifications. Of course that for the first two games I will choose or that AO or that Prelude card.

Thanks also for your quick responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of the reason for that rule is to avoid the problem that showed up in Arkham Horror where people felt that they needed to play with all three sideboards, no matter how many investigators they were playing with. It meant that there was simply too much space to cover by too few investigators. And it keeps the sideboards being a 'special treat' rather than a drudge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackS0ull wrote:
Prelude card"

So my question is this:

It's one of the common complaints about the side board in the big box expansions: unlike That Other Game where the side board is always supposed to be in play if you use the expansion (though you may opt to not use it), in this game you are only supposed to use it only in particular scenarios. Personally, I think this devalues the big box expansion. You can put the side board into play and it will have an effect (Gates will Spawn and so you'll have to go to the side board), but doing so creates a sort of meta-dilution of theme. If I played the game more often than I do, I might be inclined to always draw a random Prelude and let that dictate the "scenario" that I'm playing for the session. As it is, I play infrequently, so I like to pick my setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackS0ull wrote:

How about if I will not pick the Doomsayer From Antarctica
Prelude card and not Rise of the Elder Things Ancient One ??? I cannot play with the new map/gates/focus tokens/Antarctica Adventure cards/Antarctica research cards?

The focus tokens can be used in every game, but the map with the related gates, clues (not focus), and antarctica specific cards shall be used only under the above mentionend conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Onken
Germany
Varel
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackS0ull wrote:
Hello,
I cannot play with the new map/gates/focus tokens/Antarctica Adventure cards/Antarctica research cards?

You're supposed to always play with the focus tokens. It's an addition to your pool of possible actions - and often a good one.

I understand, that it sounds disappointing to not always have this cool (pun not intended) sideboard. But the fact, that it does come into play only once in a while, makes the sideboard something special - also after many games of Eldritch Horror!

But I can also understand, that you want it to be present in more games, when you play the game on an irregular base - though it gets harder, if you take the long walk to Leng only for this gate there.

Got ninja'd on this focus thing ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're also allowed to use multiple preludes if desired. So you can use the Antarctica prelude in addition to another one if you really want the sideboard.
But if you are like me, you will find that the sideboard is more trouble than it's worth. Even when using the prelude, it's usually one or two people going there one time to finish the adventure and possibly clean up some gates or clues. It's much more interesting when playing Rise of the Elder Things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
You're also allowed to use multiple preludes if desired.
As a houserule you're allowed to do anything, but this sentence sounds like you're officially allowed to use multiple preludes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of us bring this up when the question is "Which Expansion to buy?" The Sideboards are really well made and make it feel like a "bigger" expansion, but the small expansions do just as good a job at providing the parts that go into a regular game, like Investigators and Conditions. I like having MoM, but I don't bring Antarctica out all that often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PXR5
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
A lot of us bring this up when the question is "Which Expansion to buy?" The Sideboards are really well made and make it feel like a "bigger" expansion, but the small expansions do just as good a job at providing the parts that go into a regular game, like Investigators and Conditions. I like having MoM, but I don't bring Antarctica out all that often.

I'd second that. It's very much how I feel, you can get a lot of value from the small expansions. MoM is my only board expansion at the moment which is not bad for somebody who thought he'd never get a board expansion, it just took me a while to catch onto how much I enjoy this excellent game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Bugeanu
Romania
flag msg tools
Thank you very much guys for your comments. Now I have a better idea about this game and about the recently bought extension.

I can't wait to finish this working week and on Saturday we will play together with the base game and with the MoM extension.

As I already stated, first 2 games we will play for sure with the new board from the extension, then I will see how I will proceed.

Thanks a lot again for your explanations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor James
United Kingdom
Norwich, Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To join in this discussion: I only have the FL and SR expansions at the moment and I would like to continue collecting these but is it possible to play other small expansions that were produced after MoM and use all their components and, if so, which are the best ones to get? I just have no room for adding any boards to the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bcoot9 wrote:
To join in this discussion: I only have the FL and SR expansions at the moment and I would like to continue collecting these but is it possible to play other small expansions that were produced after MoM and use all their components and, if so, which are the best ones to get?
If you have FL and SR already, then there is only one small expansion left at this moment - Signs of Carcosa. And, as you have all the others, it's automatically the best one to get.
Here's the list of all expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.