Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had yet another go at this, again with Kevin. This time both of us were much more wary of the shrine connection, and I was on the defensive most of the game. I was forced to pre-empt Kevin and play the first land tile, and burned a lot to do that (or rather, had to place more on my board than I'd have liked). The upshot of all that defense was that I was a bit behind in terms of efficiency, and he was primed to win on city placement. But then he blew a number of amphorae drawing extra cards instead of drawing from his remaining stock. I, OTOH, had fully drawn onto my board, so I was primed to build more efficiently for the remaining 3 or so turns. We both agreed afterward that had he saved even one amphora, or used his others to draw to his board, he'd have won. At any rate, I managed to earn one amphora and then used it the next turn to build my last 4 buildings.

We were both struck by how many conflicting goals were present. Several times Kevin had the chance to shut down an easy build of mine but didn't, instead opting to improve his lot via a "cheaper" play. I made a number of "inefficient" moves that infringed on his territory, but I think the overall tradeoff was that he was forced to react to those moves before he was ready, and it was probably a wash. Overall, he played a better game and should've won, mostly on the basis of creating a valid shrine threat and pushing me to react too soon. He never really intended to connect (unless I gave him the chance). Which brings up another interesting tactical option that I should've tried: allowing a player to think they can push for the shrine victory and hoping they burn too much getting there. Maybe next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report
Jon Waddington (#25874),

A draw action is half a turn, but a build action (or drawing a card) is only 1/3 of a turn, so it is more efficient to spend an amphora to draw a building than to draw a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.