Christopher Ross
United States
Petaluma
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed some odd things about a game ratings:

1. 6.5's are shown as 6's when you look at all the ratings for a particular game. However if you look at a paticular user's rating for the game it is displayed correctly. The value seems to still be considered when the ratings are sorted because people who give a 6.5 to a game are sorted at the beginning of the 6 ratings.
2. 6.5's are also counted as 6's when you look at the game's rating graph.

Is this as designed? I don't see the same thing happening with 7.5's.

Thanks!

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see the same. 9.5s are 10s; 8.5s are 8s? Weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    When doing analysis on exceptionally large sets of numbers, it is common to round to the closest even number, instead of rounding up. This is so that the average rounding of the .5 values will be 0, rather than .5, which can skew the overall results upwards.

Given the nature of BGG's game ratings where there are many many .5 values, this is an appropriate strategy.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ross
United States
Petaluma
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
When doing analysis on exceptionally large sets of numbers, it is common to round to the closest even number, instead of rounding up. This is so that the average rounding of the .5 values will be 0, rather than .5, which can skew the overall results upwards.

This definitely accounts for #2. You learn something new every day.

As for #1, this appears to have been fixed. I now see 6.5's correctly in game rating lists.

Thanks!

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The numbers need to be rounded for histogram purposes, but rounding to take averages would only add overhead rather than save anything. (And just to be completely and totally needlessly pedantic on Sag's post... it's common to round x.5 to the nearest even number but anything else would just get rounded to the nearest integer.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ross
United States
Petaluma
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. It looks like 6.5's are not showing up again. This happens when I look at the individual ratings for a game.

Maybe this is a browser issue? Or a cache issue?

I have no trouble seeing fractional ratings 7 and above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.