6 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Overlord: Mono class or multi class rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Morten Helgeland
Denmark
flag msg tools
Hello all, I've had a question running through my head lately regarding the classes for the Overlord. For the first time, me and my girlfriend are making a new campaign with new players. All the other games I've played has been as a hero and/or playing the RtL app. Since I'm the owner of the game, and my girlfriend didn't want to play the evil one, I took the job. (we both have the same experience playing heroes, so she will help the new players)

I have a rather large collection. I think the only thing missing are Mists of Bilehall, Chains that Rust and half of the Heroes and Monsters Collections and Lieutenant packs. Having never played the actual campaign books, and also introducing this game to 3 new players, I though I still wanted to add in most of the components.

What we will be running:
The Shadow Rune campaign
Overlord Basic 1
Belthir Agent and Hybrid Loyalty plot deck (because he is a Dragon Man )
Rumour deck (not sure yet, maybe just random?)
4 Heroes

The question is basically, do you guys stick to one class, or buy a lot of 1xp cards from all of them? Initially I think I would want to make a mono deck, even though it might not be the most optimal way of creating a good overlord.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just issue a word of caution about bringing in all the moving parts to your first campaign of "ordinary" descent. Plot decks and rumors (while they add content) are not for everyone, and definitely change the gameplay experience.

A majority of the groups I've played with (3/4) decided after seeing plot cards in action never to use them again (I was the OL in 2 of those groups). A lot of people enjoy the plot cards, my point is only that you need to know your group.

That being said, if you're confident, go right ahead and have fun.

Onto your real question:

For your first campaign (especially if you're using belthir/basic 1) You don't need to branch out if you don't want to. Look over a class you like, and stick to it. Because of the restrictions on spending OL XP (as opposed to the relatively free spending of hero XP) planning the evolution of an OL deck with multiple classes can be complicated. You'll often find yourself buying cards you don't really want to get cards you do, and that's a balancing act. Now that I've done my share of OLing, I find diverse decks more rewarding to build, and also harder for heroes to predict/adapt to. My most recent campaign, however, I went straight soulbinder (chains that rust).

Short version: Do whatever you want, there's not a wrong choice as long as you know what you're getting into (referring both to the rules and to your fellow players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
Descent 2nd Edition Community Rules Reference Guide
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Restricting yourself to one class of Overlord cards severely limits your options. I would not advise that if you are going for competitive play.
However, as Zaltyre said, as a new OL it just might be easier to handle.

Rumor cards do not have decks. All Rumor cards (except Advance Quest cards) you own go into a single pile, then draw 3 cards at the start of the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Mott
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
It depends if you're trying to win, or if you're trying to have fun.

If you're trying to have fun, do whatever seems like the most fun to you. I would recommend Basic II over Basic I because it contains far more lols. For example, Mimic and Grease Trap.

If you're trying to win, you should definitely multiclass. It's been a long time since I played as the Overlord, but I remember Infector and Warlord being very effective for me. In particular, Expert Blow and Tainted Blow work very well together.

Also if you're trying to win, you should consider the Zachareth plot deck. Fair warning, though, if you do play the Zachareth deck to win, you'll do so largely by denying the heroes opportunities to acquire new shop items, which is one of the most fun parts of being a hero. So there may be some group dynamics that you may have to deal with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Helgeland
Denmark
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the advises! I'll think my initial plan will work then, for a "play for fun" way, and go for a mono-deck. If it turns out my opponents really roflstomp me, then I would switch tactics and have your advises back in my head

Since I was thinking of playing Belthir, Basic I should probably be my pick. Basic II does sound awesome though, so maybe I'll pick another agent and use this instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
Basic II is filled with tricks, but it's also less bluntly powerful than Basic I. If your Overlord play style involves the direct approach, Basic II won't be as rewarding for you.

Almost the entirety of Basic I's deck can be used for the entire encounter, whereas a large portion of Basic II requires specialized situations or a specific hero archetype for a given card to work to its full potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.