Subject: How to eliminate 1st player advantage ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
no flag
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen that in the images:

Cards used to "eliminate 1st player advantage".
Anyone knows the rules for them ?

I've also read that variant in the forum (I can't remember in which post I found it):

"I find the turn order problematic only for accelerating/decelerating, i.e. the player who goes first gets an advantage having only just made the decision regarding their speed change.

I counter this by having your acceleration/deceleration decided as the final thing one does in one's own Movement. I use homemade cards for this placed face down next to each vehicle card, which are then only revealed when that player's Movement begins.

This way of handling the imbalance seems so obvious to me that I assume other people have similar systems. Now the only imbalance in the turn order is in the smoke dispersal, which I can live with. "

What do you think about that variant ?
Are the Battlecards used for that variant ?

Do you use any variant to eliminate 1st player advantage ? or do you think there is no problem with the original rules as they are ?

Thanks for your future answers !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
I made the cards to be dealt out randomly each round.

But TBH I see no problem with playing the game as written. Sure you may get rammed a few times, and be stuck in one spot, but it all just adds to the carnage.

At the end of the day you can always exit the car on foot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
no flag
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks.

And what about the turrets ? The car with two turrets is really weak.
I think I've seen a variant where you can put shells in it. What do you think ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it's got Auto-steer, so it's pretty nippy at cornering. Plus it's got a fair few areas for holding passive weapons.

I've found it does a pretty good job of cutting up the other vehicles and deploying spikes or mines in front of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Sedgwick
United Kingdom
Chislehurst
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King Bing wrote:
Ok, thanks.

And what about the turrets ? The car with two turrets is really weak.
I think I've seen a variant where you can put shells in it. What do you think ?

It's probably the hardest car to play with. If I'm teaching the game its the one I'll use but they all have disadvantages. Early on when up against people with missiles and shells I try to keep my foot to the floor and stay at a distance till they're running low on ammunition. I find I tend to use speed and the auto-steer to try and do quick close up passes and try end my move behind cover later in the game. I did try with shells in the turrets but found that the limited shell load was even more of a disadvantage!

As for turn order this is how I play:
1, All players declare their speed
2, Turn priority is established
i, Fastest moving vehicle goes first
ii, Those whose speed is the same roll the D8 to determine order (highest first)
iii, Determine pedestrian movement order using i & ii as above.

The above works for us, especially if Battlebikes are in play. As their best offence is to really use the speed to their advantage they tend to move first.

Another house rule for passive weapon pods we use is as follows:
1, You get 8 points per pod, if you have multiple pods you can combine your points and distribute your purchased hardware as you see fit. Passive weapon types can be mixed in a pod.
2, Costs
i, Mines - 3pt
ii, Oil - 2pt
iii, Spikes - 2pts
iv, Smoke - 1pt
3, The order for release from the pod no matter what where the exit point on the car is drawn is always left to right.
4, Pods don't have to be fully populated.

Other than that I've not seen any need to tweak the rules. It's fast to play and I've never understood why it gets a bad rap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.