Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Bachelor
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again, it is time for questions that have most likely been answered before. I just bought a copy of Die Macher and want to make sure I have a few things right, just wanted to verify it here.

Meeting Markers can be placed for a district (4 per turn - provided you have the cash) irregardless of how many you have converted to votes in the past. correct? And something that is obvious but unstated is that when one converts meeting markers into votes, the meeting markers are returned to the players stock. Also correct?

For examples:

A player could (if they wanted to)place 4 meeting markers per turn in a district and turn those into votes at the appropriate phase near the end of each turn (as each disctrict starts out with one marker, a player should have at least 5 in a district each turn if they do this). Each turn he would pay 4K to place 4 markers, convert and get them back into his stock.

Or: On the second turn a district is a play, everything clicks and a player finds himself with a multiplyer of 5 and 9 meeting markers. The player converts all 9 of his markers into votes for 45 votes, returning 9 markers to his stock for use in further rounds. He then places a few more meeting markers in the next couple of rounds - hoping to be the LAST player to reach 50 pts when the election results are determined.

Seems to me that since meeting marker costs are relatively cheap (1K per marker) that one should be converting often (provided that there is at least a moderate conversion factor) because you will have the opportunity to place more if you have the cash and markers in stock.

Anyways - thanks for the clarifications. I am sure I will have more in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbtigger wrote:
Meeting Markers can be placed for a district (4 per turn - provided you have the cash) irregardless of how many you have converted to votes in the past. correct?

Yes.

Quote:
And something that is obvious but unstated is that when one converts meeting markers into votes, the meeting markers are returned to the players stock. Also correct?

Yes.

Quote:
For examples:

A player could (if they wanted to)place 4 meeting markers per turn in a district and turn those into votes at the appropriate phase near the end of each turn (as each disctrict starts out with one marker, a player should have at least 5 in a district each turn if they do this). Each turn he would pay 4K to place 4 markers, convert and get them back into his stock.

Yes. Keep in mind that boards 5, 6, and 7 do not start out with free meeting markers though. Only the original four boards at the start of the game have 1 free marker per party.

Quote:
Or: On the second turn a district is a play, everything clicks and a player finds himself with a multiplyer of 5 and 9 meeting markers. The player converts all 9 of his markers into votes for 45 votes, returning 9 markers to his stock for use in further rounds. He then places a few more meeting markers in the next couple of rounds - hoping to be the LAST player to reach 50 pts when the election results are determined.

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Banks
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Keep in mind that boards 5, 6, and 7 do not start out with free meeting markers though. Only the original four boards at the start of the game have 1 free marker per party.

Hmmm -- this is *not* how we understand it to be, at least by our Valley Games edition. Also, somewhere else in the game's forums, there is *some* sort of clarification about this (as I recall), tho I haven't been able to find it yet.

What version are you playing, and/or where does this info come from?

I'm quite puzzled now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schlappy wrote:
Quote:
Keep in mind that boards 5, 6, and 7 do not start out with free meeting markers though. Only the original four boards at the start of the game have 1 free marker per party.

Hmmm -- this is *not* how we understand it to be, at least by our Valley Games edition. Also, somewhere else in the game's forums, there is *some* sort of clarification about this (as I recall), tho I haven't been able to find it yet.

What version are you playing, and/or where does this info come from?

I'm quite puzzled now!

2nd edition. Digging into it some more, it looks like is was explicit in 1st edition (no free markers in 5-7); ambiguous in 2nd (not really stated); and changed in 3rd.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/143772

Now, the assumption is that Valley Games (1) realizes that they actually changed something there and (2) did so intentionally.

I can't find a clear ruling one way or the other for 2nd edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For reference, the wording in the English version of the 2nd edition rulebook says the following.

Quote:
First the Current Round Board is cleared and all markers returned to their starting positions.

I can see how that can easily be interpreted both ways.

If someone could post the exact wording from the 1st edition, that would be great. Maybe some German speakers could weigh in on this too, based on the original versions of these rulebooks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bachelor
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think it would be possible for all of a player's meeting markers to be in play when a new region becomes available.

If so, staring a new board with meeting markers on it might not be possible. As a result, I would think that new regions would start with no markers - to keep things even.

Then again, if you like to give folks a free placement for keeping markers in reserve, I would not cry about it; I just think that starting with no markers keeps the game more even.

Thanks for verifying my initial interpretations of the game. Now to see who I can get to play with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Porter
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the 3rd edition of the rules say anything about placing 1 free marker in the first four regions? I cannot find it anywhere in my rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think its in the initial setup diagram. But I haven't got the rules with me now. That diagram is also what you're referred to when setting up boards 5-7 (and there is a special note about board 7).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.