Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott

Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have another quick question, regarding the rules in Academy:

I have Giant Size cast on a creature guarding. Now lets say it has an opportunity to counterstrike. And lets say the defending creature (original attacker) has a defense, and is able to "dodge" the attack with it. (so my creature doesn't get to attack) Now, if my creature hasn't done anything this round, so it is still active and wants to attack, does it still get it's Melee +X ability from Giant Size? Or was it "used up" in the counterstrike attack that was not successful? So is the Melee +X attacked used up if a creature dodges the attack? or does it only count if it is used? I know that in Academy this is a only "once a round" ability.

I enjoy thinking about rules of a game and trying to find the answers to them before they come up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You only "use up" your once-per-round Melee +X ability if you have a Roll Dice step in an attack (in which you get to add +X attack dice). So in this case, the successful defense from a Dodge doesn't "use up" the opportunity for the Melee +X.
*edit* See discussion below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
You only "use up" your once-per-round Melee +X ability if you have a Roll Dice step in an attack (in which you get to add +X attack dice). So in this case, the successful defense from a Dodge doesn't "use up" the opportunity for the Melee +X.

Source? I'm not as familiar with Academy rules as I am with Arena rules. In Arena you add the Melee +X bonus to first attack you're able to during an attack action. The able to part though just means that if you gain a Melee +X bonus after having already made one attack, then you're able to add it to your very next attack. Otherwise, if you had the bonus from the beginning, the bonus has to apply to the first attack and if that first attack is dodged, then the bonus is simply lost.

I would assume that Academy works similarly. Looking at the Academy codex, the only thing I notice is that the able to part is missing. I don't see anything to suggest what iNano78 said, but maybe there's something somewhere else in the rulebook that I'm missing. Otherwise, the bonus has to apply to the first attack that the creature makes each round. If that attack is avoided or cancelled then you lose the bonus. Due to the absent clause, it's also arguable that if you gain a Melee +X bonus after having already made an attack, you do not get to benefit from it this round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad T
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Academy Melee+X bonuses apply only for first attack made in the round. So even if You gain bonus during round You won't benefit from it if the creature made an attack before.
Once attack is declared in Academy, it's made so even if it's avoided it will use up Melee+X bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Wars Academy rule book, web version, p.24 wrote:
Melee +X
The first time this creature makes a melee attack
this round, that attack rolls +X additional attack
dice. If a creature acquires multiple “Melee +X”
traits, they are cumulative and all will increase
its first melee attack.

I seem to have misunderstood what it means for a creature to "make" a melee attack.

Mage Wars Academy rule book, web version, p.10 wrote:

Making an attack has 4 Steps to it:
1) Declare Attack
2) Defense
3) Roll Dice
4) Counterstrike

Since "making an attack" starts with Declare Attack, then even if the attack is canceled due to a successful defense roll or Dodge spell, etc, then you have still made an attack and thus used up your Melee +X (without rolling any dice). I'll strike out my incorrect post above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott

Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the clarification. Everything makes sense now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.