GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,766 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Eric Whitt
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So we had this situation come up in a game this weekend. My friend went into a room at 6hp, it ended up spawning 3 traps due to some unlucky tile pulls. He killed the monster giving him exactly enough to level up and trigger the win, 17 exp. On my final turn I brought this up that I had the potential to steal one exp and then kill him. We weren't sure how this would work. So we made a quick decision that since you can't delevel from dying, you can't steal exp to delevel anyone either. But I'm curious as to how this would be ruled.

My plan of attack was to teleport into his room, use the item to steal his EXP and then just walk out of the room causing him to die and warp back to 12exp. I was only at 14exp at the time and wasn't enough I could do to get past 17 with my crappy roll on that turn, so it was my only shot at winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darla Truitt
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
My thought is that you could steal his experience and if he died, he would lose the experience for the row. But since he hit the game end trigger the game would still end with the winner the person with the most experience at the end of the game (you?) even if neither of you had 16 points or more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DrProfHazzmatt
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Riding the Kickstarter hype train since 2015.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My interpretation would be that you would have won. Your stealing one xp would bring him below the threshold and then dying would reduce him to 12 exp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that you don't steal an XP that a hero has already won, you steal an XP the hero is about to get. So the stolen XP never actually gets to the original owner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loophole Master wrote:
Keep in mind that you don't steal an XP that a hero has already won, you steal an XP the hero is about to get. So the stolen XP never actually gets to the original owner.

Right, and this is an important clarification, esp. when the XP, if earned, would have leveled the player.

Thanks Thiago. Guess you're hanging around BGG just waiting to hit GO on Rise of Moloch .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Waits
United States
Elizabethtown
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loophole Master wrote:

How does this work with Mental Drain, which can only be played on your own turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChrisWaits wrote:
Loophole Master wrote:

How does this work with Mental Drain, which can only be played on your own turn?

exactly my thoughts.. what am I interpreting wrong here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Clark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChrisWaits wrote:
Loophole Master wrote:

I'd not allow the level removal from this card (defeat doesn't even cause level loss). I'd place his marker to the left of his current XP (off the tracker) to indicate XP loss, but the level remains. Defeat after that would lose no XP.

Do you agree that retains the spirit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrWorm331 wrote:
TheChrisWaits wrote:
Loophole Master wrote:

I'd not allow the level removal from this card (defeat doesn't even cause level loss). I'd place his marker to the left of his current XP (off the tracker) to indicate XP loss, but the level remains. Defeat after that would lose no XP.

Do you agree that retains the spirit?

Patrick (designer) has already confirmed that you never lose a level up ability. See https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24786055#24786055.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Matheus
Brazil
Juiz de Fora
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LuckyDwarf wrote:
My thought is that you could steal his experience and if he died, he would lose the experience for the row. But since he hit the game end trigger the game would still end with the winner the person with the most experience at the end of the game (you?) even if neither of you had 16 points or more.

Yes, just like that, LuckyDwarf.

Thiago was thinking about "Stupefy" but there is also "Mental Drain", this one realy steals XP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Whitt
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well that's quite harsh... but I'll make sure and remember that for future plays then. Thank you. I figured if you can't "delevel" from dying, it would only make sense not to lose the level from someone stealing the exp as well. So I assume then they keep their learned ability at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.