12 Posts

Eldritch Horror: The Dreamlands» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dream Portals rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bartosz Stankowski
msg tools
mbmbmb
Some effects tell you to discard the Dream Portal and respawn it (mostly from Dream Within a Dream Mystery), and when you spawn a dream portal you reveal gates from the top of the gate stack. So, what happens when gates on top of stack are already revealed? You ignore them and reveal the unrevealed gates, or do you spawn the portal on first revealed gate space, that doesn't have dream portal, and doesn't correspond to the dreamland board, possibly spawning the portal on the same space it was spawned during the encounter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pettersson
Sweden
Arvika
flag msg tools
Small tortoiseshell butterfly
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it says reveal I'm tempted to interpret it as ignoring any previously revealed gates on top of the stack and start revealing more gates.

I have the feeling that it otherwise would have been written something along the lines of "place the Dream Portal on the first gate of the gate stack that does not already have a Dream Portal and is not a Dreamlands gate, revealing new gates if necessary."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik C
Canada
flag msg tools
I think this would definitely be a house rule and not rules as written or intended. When the top gate is already revealed, and an effect causes you to reveal the top gate, then nothing really changes. Several investigator cards allow you to reveal gates, and they don't say anything about revealing additional gates if some are already revealed.

I think the intent is that whenever you respawn X portals the next X gates will go to the dreamlands, so I would be hesitant to apply a houserule that changes this.

Technically this raises the possibility of getting 2 gates on 1 space. But so far every effect I've seen that respawns portals also respawns gates such that double-gates won't happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pettersson
Sweden
Arvika
flag msg tools
Small tortoiseshell butterfly
mbmbmbmbmb
You're correct, I had another question out to Nikki Valens in another thread so I asked about this too..

Quote:
If the Rome Gate is already revealed and is the top most Gate in the stack that doesn't already have a Dream Portal, place the portal on Rome.

The effect states to reveal Gates from the top of the Gate stack. Always start from the top. "Reveal" in this case, means "if the information is not known, make it known to all players."

Thanks for playing!
~ Nikki Valens
Fantasy Flight Games

Guess I got stuck on the word reveal, but the answer is pretty unambiguous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sakis Char
Greece
flag msg tools
I have a question about the dream portals and the Gates that are spawned on their spaces.
Let's say that we have placed the Unknown Kadath dream portal in Rome. Then the mythos card tells us to spawn a Gate. The top Gate on the gate stack is the Rome gate which was revealed earlier. If I am understanding the rules correctly, we have to spawn the Rome gate on the Unknown Kadath space on the side board.
After a few rounds an effect causes a dream portal spawn. The Unknown Kadath dream portal moves from Rome to Sydney and after two more rounds we have a new Gate spawn. The top Gate on the gate stack is Sydney but the Rome gate is still open on the Unknown Kadath space.
Where should we spawn the Syndey gate on this case?

This issue would be solved if what Erik C says two posts before is always happening on a dream portal spawn. I misread his post before posting myself this question!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
metmat wrote:
(...) Where should we spawn the Syndey gate on this case?
Unknown Kadath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sakis Char
Greece
flag msg tools
So there will be two gates on the Unknown Kadath space.
Is that legal?
The rules do not refer anywhere that this is forbidden but there was no chance having two gates on the same space until now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
metmat wrote:
Is that legal?
The rules do not refer anywhere that this is forbidden but there was no chance having two gates on the same space until now.
Many players noticed that two gates may end up on one space on the very same day the rulebook was released. Game designer and the playtesters had months with the game. I assure you they also haven't missed this fact. Yet the rulebook doesn't mention it at all.
Because nothing special happens.

We had identical concerns here when Forsaken Lore came out along with effects that started moving Clues around. From that moment on two (or more) Clues could end up on one space.
And this also wasn't special in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
metmat wrote:
Is that legal?

It's legal. Given enough time, you can end up with a board that looks like this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Germanicus
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which tabletop emulator are you using there, Xelto? Looks nice. I use Vassal, which looks similar, but The Dreamlands expansion isn't available for it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GermanTodd wrote:
Which tabletop emulator are you using there, Xelto? Looks nice. I use Vassal, which looks similar, but The Dreamlands expansion isn't available for it yet.

I assume that's either Photoshop or Gimp. It came from one of the play-by-forum games. One I was playing in, not one that I was hosting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelvin C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In case anyone is still confused or unsure, I obtained the official ruling.

QQ:
If due to the Dream Portals' movements, a gate would appear on the same space as another gate in the Dreamlands Sideboard...

1. Is it OK to spawn the gate at the same space on the sideboard?
2. If it is, can the investigator decide which gate he would encounter during the encounter phase?

Nikki Valens wrote:

1. There is no rule that prevents multiple Gates from spawning on the same space. It's rare, but possible.
2. An investigator would choose one of the Gates to encounter. There are simply more options for her to choose from.

That's all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.