Subject: First Game - confused about Flashlight asset card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just started my first game and am following the learn to play book. I have the flashlight asset card so thinking this is a good card to play when investigating I use it. I understand that it costs 2 resources to bring it into play but then the text on the card says "Uses (3 supplies)". Then under that is says "Spend 1 supply". So now I am confused. Does it cost me an additional one supply to use or 3? Also at is an asset card it stays in my hand so do I get to use it again (seems like a very good card to have).

I have played a bit of LOTR LCG and I remember being very confused about that game too until I watched the Watch it Played videos and then it all clicked. I wonder if this game will get the Rodney treatment to help people like me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Pitts
United States
Aloha
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you play flashlight, you put 3 resource tokens on it. This is the supply. When you investigate, you can spend one of these tokens to use its ability.

This is the same for guns and spells. Each card gets its own supplies to track its uses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It means that you can use it 3 times (you put 3 resource tokens on it) and each use spends 1 supply (you remove one token from the card). If you spend all three, the card has is useless for you and you can replace it with something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh got it now. So basically to bring it into play will cost 5 tokens.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Pitts
United States
Aloha
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tasmanuk wrote:

Thanks

No. You pay 2 resources to bring out the flashlight. The 3 supplies tokens are taken from the general pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
tasmanuk wrote:

Thanks

Umm, no. It costs 2 resource tokens to bring into play. It comes with three flashlight tokens on it, which get spent when you use its ability.

Lots of cards have private for-this-card-only tokens (e.g. ammo tokens for guns). They get created simply by bringing the card into play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Bigler
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
No. It costs only 2. You are confusing two different and separate things: RESOURCES and SUPPLIES.

You must pay RESOURCES from your personal pool to pay and bring Flashlight into play. After you do this, you take 3 "resource tokens" from the common tokens pool and put onto the Flashlight - THOSE are the "supplies".

Now you want to use the action on Flashlight: you must spen one of those three SUPPLIES you put earlier.

EDIT: Ninja'ed by two. XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cphpitts wrote:
tasmanuk wrote:

Thanks

No. You pay 2 resources to bring out the flashlight. The 3 supplies tokens are taken from the general pool.

This.

You don't pay for the 3 additional resources from your character's supply. You pay for it with resources from the general supply. It only costs you the 2 resources to get it in to play. Think of the other three resources as tokens, you could even use something else entirely if you wanted to avoid confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcio Ferreira
Portugal
Viana do Castelo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Uses" is a keyword, in such cases you could check the Rules Reference book, it's all there

Quote:

Uses (X “type”)
Uses is a keyword ability.
When a card bearing this keyword enters play, place a number of resource tokens equal to the value (X), from the token pool, on the card. The word following the value establishes and identifies the type of uses this card bears. The resource tokens placed on the card are considered uses of the established type, and are not considered resource tokens.

==Each card bearing this keyword also has an ability which references the type of use established by the keyword as a part of its cost. When such an ability spends a use, a token of that type must be removed from the card bearing the ability.

==Other cards may reference and interact with uses of a specified type, usually by adding uses of that type to a card, or using uses of that type for other purposes.

==A card cannot bear uses of a type other than that established by its own “Uses (X type)” keyword. (For example, a card with “Uses (4 ammo)” cannot gain charges.)

==Some cards with this keyword bear text that causes the
card to be discarded if it has no uses remaining. If the card
contains no such text, it remains in play even if out of uses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ralph wiggum
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear, the 3 resources you place on the card after playing it do not come from your resource pool. You could instead use anything to track the 3 uses. So: you use your resource pool to play the card, then you place 3 tokens on the card to track 3 uses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading the rules reference would be too easy

I just wanted to see how quickly the good folk on BGG would respond. 2 minutes is a new record for me

Seriously though I have found that section in the rules and yes it is quite clear. I shall now read the rest of the rulebook!!

goryon wrote:
"Uses" is a keyword, in such cases you could check the Rules Reference book, it's all there

Quote:

Uses (X “type”)
Uses is a keyword ability.
When a card bearing this keyword enters play, place a number of resource tokens equal to the value (X), from the token pool, on the card. The word following the value establishes and identifies the type of uses this card bears. The resource tokens placed on the card are considered uses of the established type, and are not considered resource tokens.

==Each card bearing this keyword also has an ability which references the type of use established by the keyword as a part of its cost. When such an ability spends a use, a token of that type must be removed from the card bearing the ability.

==Other cards may reference and interact with uses of a specified type, usually by adding uses of that type to a card, or using uses of that type for other purposes.

==A card cannot bear uses of a type other than that established by its own “Uses (X type)” keyword. (For example, a card with “Uses (4 ammo)” cannot gain charges.)

==Some cards with this keyword bear text that causes the
card to be discarded if it has no uses remaining. If the card
contains no such text, it remains in play even if out of uses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
imprint wrote:
Just to be clear, the 3 resources you place on the card after playing it do not come from your resource pool. You could instead use anything to track the 3 uses. So: you use your resource pool to play the card, then you place 3 tokens on the card to track 3 uses.

I was using chaos tokens before switching to resource tokens as there are more of the latter in the pool.

You can bling out your game if you want by putting small bullet token on your gun cards and some other token on your machete, that sort of thing. it's just a way to track how many uses the item has until it fully exhausts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brzezinski
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I added in a bunch of mall 6 sided dice to my set for this very reason. Rather than using resource tokens (which can be bumped off the card or accidentally mixed into resources), I just place a d6 on the card set to the "charge" number. When the charges are used, discard the die to show the card is spent, but still in your assets field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Flashlight, the correct Supply tokens are obviously tiny batteries, like watch batteries. Or maybe little light bulbs, like Christmas lights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcio Ferreira
Portugal
Viana do Castelo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChyronDave wrote:
... Rather than using resource tokens (which can be bumped off the card or accidentally mixed into resources), I just place a d6 on the card ...
which can also be bumped off the card and the pips changed. (at least it can be distinguished from the resource tokens)

Well, a die is always a good idea to represent quantities in games. In this case despite forcing a D6 to accidentally roll, a D4 is a bit more stable, though not so common in many people's 'office'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
goryon wrote:
a D4 is a bit more stable, though not so common in many people's 'office'.

It's how you separate the RPG crowd we have a ready supply of caltrops - I mean d4s - in our house cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brzezinski
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had easier access to small d6s, so I went with them. My bigger concern was using the same token (the "crate") to represent charges on the flashlight and resources in front of the players, especially with newer players who may accidentally mix the two together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
Alright, just make sure you've got a plan for when an Asset has more than six uses (which is possible, albeit far from common).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rsdockery wrote:
Alright, just make sure you've got a plan for when an Asset has more than six uses (which is possible, albeit far from common).

You've got that right, darling - nothing common about my little noisemakers

- Jenny Barnes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Man
msg tools
Can you use the flashlight twice in a row to lower -4?
Can you spend more then one supply for a single action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mb
Mysto680 wrote:
Can you use the flashlight twice in a row to lower -4?
Can you spend more then one supply for a single action.

No. Activating the Flashlight is an action, as indicated by the arrow. This initates an investigation action with a reduced shroud value. You cannot use another action until that action is completely resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcello Pisanu
Germany
flag msg tools
To be clear. When I use the flashlight, I also investigate by the cost of one action or one action to activata flashlight and one for investigation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sardello wrote:
To be clear. When I use the flashlight, I also investigate by the cost of one action or one action to activata flashlight and one for investigation?

Using the Flashlight is a single modified Investigate action.

(Before using it, you spend one Action putting it down on the table and into a Hand Slot, just once per Level Zero Flashlight)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For one action: play the Flashlight. It costs 2 resources to play. When played, use whatever method you want to indicate that it has three Uses available.

For another action: Use the Flashlight's ability. This costs one of the Flashlight's Uses and is treated like an Investigation action. You cannot boost this with other action triggered abilities (arrow)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Holland on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As an action can a player use one of the Flashlight 'uses' of another player Flashlight card if they are in the same location?

I'm guessing not, but it makes thematic sense that Investigator A would lend investigator B their flashlight if they were investigating a location shroud.

First game tonight. Wife and I really enjoyed it, if a little overwhelmed.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.