GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,433 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Railways of Nippon» Forums » General

Subject: Any better with two rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
I heard the older game wasn't very good with only two, is this version improved at all? Will it be compatible with other maps too and if so which ones are good with two?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the latest (I think) edition of RotW that includes the Mexico map. That one works well with two. RoN looks to be if anything tighter than Mexico, so I would think it will work well. That's a large part of why I'm jumping in on this KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
I have the latest (I think) edition of RotW that includes the Mexico map. That one works well with two. RoN looks to be if anything tighter than Mexico, so I would think it will work well. That's a large part of why I'm jumping in on this KS.

The original RotW is superb with 2! Check out more threads on the subject. The Mexico map was designed specifically for 2-3 and there's a variant from one of the designers (Glenn Drover) that makes even the Eastern US work very well with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that link. I hadn't seen that variant; seems simple enough.

I'm now debating how many of the add-ons to spring for. Only have base RotW currently. All? Some? I'm mainly iffy on the mini expansions & Time. Not sure if I'm interested in updated bits--nothing wrong with the current set of base RotW pieces IMHO. Besides, I'm already getting those cool clear trains now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:

I'm now debating how many of the add-ons to spring for. Only have base RotW currently. All? Some? I'm mainly iffy on the mini expansions & Time. Not sure if I'm interested in updated bits--nothing wrong with the current set of base RotW pieces IMHO. Besides, I'm already getting those cool clear trains now.

Personally, I'd prioritize in this order assuming your base game already came with Mexico:

Railways of Great Britain
Railways of Europe
Railways of the Western US
Railways of North America
RotW Events Deck
Railways Through Time

Outside of RotW itself Age of Steam is superb as long as you enjoy the idea of a less forgiving game with a tighter economy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:

Outside of RotW itself Age of Steam is superb as long as you enjoy the idea of a less forgiving game with a tighter economy.

But that one is not good with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spukky wrote:
NuMystic wrote:

But that one is not good with 2.

There are a number of maps for AoS that are, including some designed specifically for 2 players. (one was even included in the base game when I bought it)

All of Wallace's rail trilogy titles arguably shine with more players, and all of them still play very well with 2p on the right map.

More importantly there aren't any 2p games that scratch quite the same itch better which is why they've all had a place in countless 2p only collections for as long as they've been out.

Let's not take this thread off topic though as that is something anyone can easily do their due diligence on if that's a primary concern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
claudermilk wrote:

Personally, I'd prioritize in this order assuming your base game already came with Mexico:

Railways of Europe
RotW Events Deck
Railways Through Time

I did the math, and after factoring in the shipping, it just made more sense to go all in. So Magnate level it is. Then eventually selling/trading off my current copy of the base game (which is the edition with Mexico). I'll skip RTT for now--that seems like the odd duck in the group & the weakest of the bunch. I really want the RoGB and RoE maps for more good low-player-count options.

So, this meme seems appropriate...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoping someone with some inside knowledge will follow-up with the OP's inquiry. Specifically, how does Nippon compare to the Mexico map in terms of 2p?

Currently a KS backer and seriously considering backing out as I think I'd rather just have the base game anyway with the Mexico map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
travvller wrote:
Hoping someone with some inside knowledge will follow-up with the OP's inquiry. Specifically, how does Nippon compare to the Mexico map in terms of 2p?

The Mexico map is tighter with roughly 20 cities and ~50 starting cubes vs about 40 cities and 80 some odd starting cubes on Nippon.

Players who enjoy Europe and Great Britain with 2p will likely also enjoy Nippon but anyone who wants the tightest possible experience Mexico is it.

If you only play 2p though I'd actually recommend sticking with Nippon as your base game since it's physically smaller and cheaper and just getting the Mexico map separately. (Nippon is 4p vs RotW orig which is 6p)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your primary concern is 2p though I'd actually recommend sticking with Nippon as your base game since it's smaller, lighter and cheaper and you can just get the Mexico map separately. (Nippon is 4p vs RotW orig which is 6p)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
If your primary concern is 2p though I'd actually recommend sticking with Nippon as your base game since it's smaller, lighter and cheaper and you can just get the Mexico map separately. (Nippon is 4p vs RotW orig which is 6p)

One of the attractions to the original base is that the designer came out with 2p rules for the US map that I'd like to try. Cost right now for Nippon plus Mexico including shipping is $85. I think I might be better off just waiting for the new games/new maps to hit retail later on.

You've been very helpful, thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
travvller wrote:
NuMystic wrote:

One of the attractions to the original base is that the designer came out with 2p rules for the US map that I'd like to try.

It's definitely a fun twist, and if you have players that enjoy knife-fight in a phone booth level competition it's worth trying with more than 2p!

This variant is going to be included in the next printing of the rules as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:

Railways of Europe
RotW Events Deck
Railways Through Time
Was never a fan of this abomination

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tallboy wrote:
NuMystic wrote:

Railways of Europe
RotW Events Deck
Railways Through Time
Was never a fan of this abomination

Well I did put it at the very bottom of the list after all.

The one thing I do like about it is the scaling mechanism of just adding and removing boards based on the number of players. Would love to see something like that done on a map with more traditional RotW mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:

The one thing I do like about it is the scaling mechanism of just adding and removing boards based on the number of players. Would love to see something like that done on a map with more traditional RotW mechanics.

How would you theme that, out of curiosity? :-).

I can think of 2 ways:
- World Map, each continent is a separate board, and you can link through ports.
- Space Map (If you've read the commonwealth saga by Peter Hamilton...That ). Basically wormholes linking different planets ^^.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:
NuMystic wrote:

How would you theme that, out of curiosity? :-).

I can think of 2 ways:
- World Map, each continent is a separate board, and you can link through ports.
- Space Map (If you've read the commonwealth saga by Peter Hamilton...That ). Basically wormholes linking different planets ^^.

Oh I was thinking something much more straightforward.

Pretty much any standard geographic area broken into separate modular boards that are all designed to work well independently as well as together.

Along the same lines as the intercontinental variant but on a smaller scale that wouldn't require a playing time any longer than a usual map for the same player count.

The geographic area doesn't have to be enormous in scale. It could just as easily be the five boroughs of NYC as a variety of European nations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.