Subject: Parallel Timeline rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Inman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
When playing with the alternate timeline variant, there is a spot called parallel timeline which gives you two of the assets on the warp tile placed there.

What happens if you place a worker tile on this space? Do you have to pay two water (one for each worker you receive)? If so, what happens if you only have one water and you place on this 2x space? Do you not get the second worker?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuela
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Let's all have a deep, think-y game... with theme!
badge
Anesthetist by day; gamer by night...
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote is that you should also have to warp in a water in that Era, per page 10 where warping in Workers is explained:

Quote:
Each Worker requires paying 1 Water to be warped in (sending people through the Time Rift seriously strains them), or else that Warp tile cannot be chosen. However, paying with Water warped in together with the Worker is possible.

The Alternate Timeline section says:

Quote:
If a Warp tile is placed on a slot with a bonus or penalty symbol, the player immediately receives that bonus or penalty.

This sounds to me like it isn't a case of "You MAY receive" but "You MUST receive" for being on whatever bonus/penalty slot, so if you happen to have to place your Warp request of a Worker on this particular Bonus slot, you should also have to place down a Warp request for water to satisfy these requirements of 1) having to pay water for a warped-in Worker and 2) having to receive that bonus/penalty for that slot.

On the other hand, page 10 does specify that if you can't fulfill the water requirement, you cannot choose that Warp tile. So if you are forced to place your Warp tile on that 2x bonus and can't pay for that 2nd worker (because you aren't also warping in water), you can't place that Warp tile, period, and it must go back into your Warp tile pool. This makes the most sense because players choose their Warp requests at the same time, so if you gamble and hope that you don't get forced to put your Worker request on that 2x tile but end up on it anyway, you shouldn't be able to go back and say, "Oh, wait, guys! I'm also warping in some extra water to pay for that bonus Worker." That seems unfair...

That's my view of it. But we'll see how the official ruling goes. I'm curious, too, now; this is a really good question.

EDIT: clarity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Inman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
I agree that it would be unfair to allow someone to warp in water if they hadn't already chosen that tile. These tiles are meant to be revealed simultaneously. Furthermore, it could be possible that your water tile is already in play on another timeline tile, so you wouldn't be able to use it anyway.

I think I would play it that if you have exactly one water, you only get one worker because the duplicate person dies from lack of water. I think it would be overly penalizing to disallow a player to put down the tile completely just because they don't have 2 water.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuela
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Let's all have a deep, think-y game... with theme!
badge
Anesthetist by day; gamer by night...
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking that option, or we still allow the Player to get both Workers but the one without water gets placed into the Tired column due to dehydration.

(But this contradicts the way warping in just one Worker works--you NEED to be able to pay water to warp in that Worker.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D
msg tools
When we receive workers from placing warp tiles they are placed in the active column.

A water must be spent to complete warping a worker in due to the strain of time travel.

If you don't have the water the worker cannot survive the journey through time. This is the basis for the water cost.

If you cannot pay the water you cannot choose that worker warp tile

Thus it doesn't follow that a player has the option of placing a worker in the tired column.

In the parallel timeline spot you receive two of the workers.

You must take the two workers but you can't if you don't have the water.

Each worker requires a water or you can't warp them in and cannot select the warp tile.

Due to simultaneous selection you cannot add a water warp tile after the fact.

It would seem that the rules lead toward not being able to use the worker warp tile because you cannot deny the bonus and you cannot pay the cost of 2 water. What is a hiccup is the "each worker" phrase. Thus it would seem that the player could keep one worker and the other worker doesn't warp in.

Definitely needs an official rule. I'd house rule it as if you have 2 water you must spend it and get two workers. If you have 1 water you must spend it and get 1 water.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Péter
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
electricalstorm wrote:

If you cannot pay the water you cannot choose that worker warp tile

Thus it doesn't follow that a player has the option of placing a worker in the tired column.

In the parallel timeline spot you receive two of the workers.

You must take the two workers but you can't if you don't have the water.

Each worker requires a water or you can't warp them in and cannot select the warp tile.

Due to simultaneous selection you cannot add a water warp tile after the fact.

It would seem that the rules lead toward not being able to use the worker warp tile because you cannot deny the bonus and you cannot pay the cost of 2 water. What is a hiccup is the "each worker" phrase. Thus it would seem that the player could keep one worker and the other worker doesn't warp in.

Definitely needs an official rule. I'd house rule it as if you have 2 water you must spend it and get two workers. If you have 1 water you must spend it and get 1 water.

Michael is right. In this case, the Worker warp tile "triggers" twice, making you spend 1 Water and receive 1 Worker each time. So, if you only have one Water, it is spent and the first "copy" of the worker is warped in, while the other is not.

That said, it is possible to pay these Water costs with Water you're warping in simultaneously with the Worker(s) (see Page 10, point 2)

I hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Inman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Quote:
...the Worker warp tile "triggers" twice, making you spend 1 Water and receive 1 Worker each time. So, if you only have one Water, it is spent and the first "copy" of the worker is warped in, while the other is not.

That makes perfect sense to me. Thanks for the quick feedback. I'm really enjoying the game on Tabletopia and can't wait for it to arrive on my doorstep!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Tuzzi
Italy
Milan
Lombardy
flag msg tools
mbmb
EPratt wrote:
My vote is that you should also have to warp in a water in that Era, per page 10 where warping in Workers is explained:

Quote:
Each Worker requires paying 1 Water to be warped in (sending people through the Time Rift seriously strains them), or else that Warp tile cannot be chosen. However, paying with Water warped in together with the Worker is possible.

The Alternate Timeline section says:

Quote:
If a Warp tile is placed on a slot with a bonus or penalty symbol, the player immediately receives that bonus or penalty.

This sounds to me like it isn't a case of "You MAY receive" but "You MUST receive" for being on whatever bonus/penalty slot, so if you happen to have to place your Warp request of a Worker on this particular Bonus slot, you should also have to place down a Warp request for water to satisfy these requirements of 1) having to pay water for a warped-in Worker and 2) having to receive that bonus/penalty for that slot.

On the other hand, page 10 does specify that if you can't fulfill the water requirement, you cannot choose that Warp tile. So if you are forced to place your Warp tile on that 2x bonus and can't pay for that 2nd worker (because you aren't also warping in water), you can't place that Warp tile, period, and it must go back into your Warp tile pool. This makes the most sense because players choose their Warp requests at the same time, so if you gamble and hope that you don't get forced to put your Worker request on that 2x tile but end up on it anyway, you shouldn't be able to go back and say, "Oh, wait, guys! I'm also warping in some extra water to pay for that bonus Worker." That seems unfair...

That's my view of it. But we'll see how the official ruling goes. I'm curious, too, now; this is a really good question.

EDIT: clarity

You don't HAVE to warp in water when you warp in workers. You just pay the water from your supply. If you don't have water AND you're not warping any water in, you cannot place a worker warp tile; but a water warp tile is not mandatory at all for a worker to be warped in. You just pay 1W when you get the worker.

I think you are misreading the phrase "Each Worker requires paying 1 Water to be warped in". That stand for "In order to be warped in, each worker requires you pay 1 Water." I think you are reading as "Each worker requires paying 1 Water which must be warped in", but the correct interpretation is the first. You CAN use warped-in water to pay for a warped-in worker, like the rest of the phrase on page 10 says, but usually you pay from your water supply. Otherwise, you'd be required to play 2 warp tiles every time you wanted to warp in a worker, which is definitely not the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.