GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,804 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Battle Line» Forums » General

Subject: If I love Battle Line, what other Knizia games will I love? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eduardo Ortiz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I recently just discovered Battle Line. I bought it used and was expecting a short simple quick filler along the lines of Jaipur, Lost Cities, Morels, etc. To my surprise this game isn't anything like those games. This game is TENSE, and I LOVE it! Every card you lay down is a big decision to make, when to lay them etc. I find myself waking up in the morning thinking about this game, about just how great the design of it is. That has never happened to me before. I love games, but had never before woken up thinking about how great a design of one was. In short, this game is prob one of my all time favorites.

So the question is, what other Reiner Knizia games have a similar feel? For those of you who LOVE Battle Line, what other Knizia game does it for you the same way BL does? I want to discover more of his games.

Right now I'm leaning towards Tigris and Euphrates or RA. But I'm open to other suggestions. Through the Desert is another one I'm looking at but sadly its out of print. I only have money to spend on one of them right now so I'm posting this to get a feel for the direction i should go in.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
APK
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
It's not a box, it's a...
badge
mb
If you are a Tolkien fan at all, take a look at Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation

It's got plenty of tension!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Samurai. It has some of the same ideas as Battle Line except in 2 dimensions. You are trying to have the most influence when a city is surrounded, so it feels vaguely similar to winning a flag in Battle Line. Tigris is decent with 2 and much better with 3 or 4 (preferably 4). Samurai, on the other hand, plays well at all player counts.

I see there are copies for a reasonable price in the BGG market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Avilés
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge Knizia fan, so I might be bias... laugh

I love Blue Moon Legends, which is a sort of combination between Battle Line and Scarab Lords. It is Knizia exploration of deck building in the context of a combat. Every players plays a faction represented by a prebuild deck (advance play provide rules for deck building). Kingdom have aged a little, but in my book still packs a punch (it was reimplemented -successfully in my opinion- on Beowulf The Movie); a tense math equation. Also, if you Carcassonne, Knizia design an awesome variation (secret: it is better than the original Carcassonne, but don't tell that to Carcassonne players whistle) Carcassonne The Castle. Sadly out of print.

Just my opinion, hope it's helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
One more vote for Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation and I'd add Taj Mahal in which every card you play breaks your heart. Really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted L
United States
St Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
Los Banditos, of course.

Well, that's maybe a little too close (Battle Line with dice).

There's Schotten Totten too, but I guess that joke is wearing a bit thin.

Lost Cities would be the natural answer. While it is different than Battle Line, however, I'm afraid you'd find it flat since I think Battle Line is the better game (close, though).

While there isn't anything I can name quite close to Battle Line other than that, he has many fine games in the same weight class, even if they don't feel quite like Battle Line.

I love:

- Blue Moon Legends
- Masters Gallery
- Pickomino
- Ra: The Dice Game
- Tigris & Euphrates

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Ortiz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks all for your responses!

It seems like I was playing one of the Battle Line rules wrong. I forgot you could only play one more Tactic card than your opponent. We weren't applying this rule and anyone could play them at any moment. This made the game way more tense, in my experience. Since you always had the choice of picking a Tactic card OR a Troop card. It even made that choice hard. And it also added unexpected turns to teh game, having more Tactic cards involved. And it always felt balanced. I played a couple times with the normal rules and it felt a tad less exciting, since you didn't feel the pressure of having Tactic cards if your opponent wasn't using them.

Anyways, how does this related to the post?

It seems like I like high conflict and unexpected turns, which makes me lean towards Tigris and Euphrates, which is the game with the most conflict out of the group of suggestions? Also seems like the game with the most tension?

I did have The Confrontation for a while, and didn't really love that you needed to learn so much about each card (yours and your opponent's) to even understand how to play. Meaning, you couldn't just throw it at the table, explain the rules to someone new and get going. A lot depended on getting to know each specific power for each side.

Anyways, keep the recommendations coming! Checking them all out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Removing the limitations on the tactics cards removes a lot of what Battle Line is about. If you can play a tactics card at will, the tension of committing to a flag before you want to is severely reduced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Ortiz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I'll keep trying it out with the normal rules, of course. This is certainly a deep game so I want to keep discovering it's nuances. If I ever come to the conclusion that I prefer unlimited Tactic cards then I'll post about it here with my reasoning. But yes, I do believe that I should keep playing the game the way it was intended first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Ortiz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
And speaking of keeping trying out the game, I just bought Schotten Totten as well. Excited to see how the game plays without the "10" cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Ortiz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the recommendation! Will definitely check it out, as I've heard many great things about Balloon Cup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Battle Line is my favorite tabletop game ever, and Ra is my #2, so I guess I recommend Ra. Every little simple decision in Ra is an extreme nail-biter, without fail. The design is really special and brilliant. Dunno if it's good with 2 players though, if you're looking for that.

Confrontation is ridiculously tense too, especially in a battle where both players much choose a card, you'll see some brows furrow hardcore (although sometimes it's just a coin flip, really).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirt Mike
United States
Canoga Park
CA
flag msg tools
badge
The power of BGG compels you!
mbmbmbmbmb
i've got three of his designs.... battle line, lost cities, and ra... all three are fantastic but Ra is easily my favorite followed by Lost Cities and then Battle Line

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.