Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Medioevo Universale» Forums » General

Subject: what if? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick de Bretagne
France
Brittany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Ciao tutti,

@Nicola & co,

I have to admit my question is a bit strange, but are there any oppotunities to play the game in a "what if" way? I mean, can we change national policies? Religion? Historical alliances, etc.? Or are we, as players, bound to some kind of Historical straight pathway?
I'll be glad to read your answer.

Grazie.

N.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm glad you asked for us! i don't think i'd be interested if we couldn't play as "open / sandbox" as well...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Iannone
Italy
Sovere
BG
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tilith wrote:
Ciao tutti,

@Nicola & co,

I have to admit my question is a bit strange, but are there any oppotunities to play the game in a "what if" way? I mean, can we change national policies? Religion? Historical alliances, etc.? Or are we, as players, bound to some kind of Historical straight pathway?
I'll be glad to read your answer.

Grazie.

N.


Ciao Tilith,
the game allows much freedom of movement, you are not forced to follow predefined historic trails.
You can declare war on anyone, of course declare war to a player of your own religion is more expensive in terms of HONOR POINTS (VPs).
Byzantine and Golden Horde can change religion and become Catholic (Khanate can also become Muslim) ... if a Christian player was excommunicated by the Pope may decide to part ways permanently elect a Antipapa and create a new religious faction.

If you have more questions, I'm here

Prego
Nicola
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick de Bretagne
France
Brittany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Buena sera, Nicola

I am really happy to read your quick and plain answer. Especially in these days of full excitement (I asked myself this question all day long: is it possible to focus on something else than this aventure?).

And yes, I have more questions. But before, I would let you know that I follow your project for a loooong loooong time. I am, just like you, fascinated by this era (i have a Master degree in French medieval history). I hope i won't be seen as a pedantic pain in the neck, but the possibilities seem endless in your game and it explains my curiosity.

1. Is there a way not to lose Honor Points (HP) when declaring war? e.g. with a casus belli linked to a royal mariage, to a protective alliance, to a special event or to a provocation or a "mise en garde"? Medieval times are full of private wars between roman Christians and, most part of the time, the papacy've had nothing to say about that.

2. I remember Byzantine Empire changed its religion (at least on a treaty) after the Concil of Florence. I don't know about the Golden Horde (which collapsed on itself). But is it possible for the Byzantines to turn vassals' religion back to orthodoxy?

3. If a Christian monarch is excommunicated, don't all the Christian powers gain a "natural" opportunity (free of HP) to attack him?

4. Are minor countries, kingdoms, duchies or wathever led by events or do they stay totally passive ? (For example, can Venice change the aim of a crusade as it did histotically? Can Brittany chose to join the Holy Empire? Can Novgorod survive to the Moscovan influence by allying the Teutonic order?)

5. Do the Fatimid, Abbasid and Omeyyad empires take davantage of the technical, medical, philosophical, mathematical, etc. advance they did enjoy at this time?

As usual, grazie mille amico.

(and, by the way, my real name is Nicolas too).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Iannone
Italy
Sovere
BG
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tilith wrote:
Buena sera, Nicola

I am really happy to read your quick and plain answer. Especially in these days of full excitement (I ask myself this question all day long:is it possible to focus on something else than this aventure?).

And yes, I have more questions. But before, I would let you know that I follow your project for a loooong loooong time. I am, just like you, fascinated by this era (i have a Master degree in French medieval history). I hope i won't be seen as a pedantic pain in the neck, but the possibilities seem endless in your game and it explains my curiosity.

1. Is there a way not to lose Honor Points (HP) when declaring war? e.g. with a casus belli linked to a royal mariage, to a protective alliance, to a special event or éventuellement a provocation or a "mise en garde"? Medieval times are full of private wars between roman Christians and, most part of the time, the papacy've had nothing to say about that.

2. I remember Byzantine Empire changed its religion (at least on a treaty) after the Concil of Florence. I don't know about the Golden Horde (which collapsed on itself). But is it possible for the Byzantines to turn vassals' religion back to orthodoxy?

3. If a Christian monarch is excommunicated, don't all the Christian powers gain a "natural" opportunity (free of HP) to attack him?

4. Are minor countries, kingdoms, duchies or wathever led by events or do they stay totally passive ? (For example, can Venice change the aim of a crusade as it did histotically? Can Brittany chose to join the Holy Empire? Can Novgorod survive to the Moscovan influence by allying the Teutonic order?)

5. Do the Fatimid, Abbasid and Omeyyad empires take davantage of the technical, medical, philosophical, mathematical, etc. advance they did enjoy at this time?

As usual, grazie mille amico.

(and, by the way, my real name is Nicolas too).



Buonasera Tilith
yes, I'm very HAPPY, but I can still write

I answer about your question considerig my prototype, ok?

1. Yes, there is a way to don't lose HP declaring war, I used CASUS BELLI system.

2. Yes, the boardgame start in 1265.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Council_of_Lyon
Obviously after the Sicilian Vespers, everything has changed, the French had other problems in southern Italy and their plan to attack the Byzantines had vanished, so the Byzantines had no more enemies and returned to Orthodoxy.

3. yes

4. Well... There are 9 more realms controlled by players, so the player decides what to do; But some event cards allow the player to choose from.
Other kingdoms are occupied by barbarian armies, but they are not totally passive, following a mechanical reaction to the attacks of the players, recruit armies and generals, fight back and (hundreds of matches made) one time they won them.
Also there are random and historical events that enliven the game.

5. no Fatimid, Abbasid and Omeyyad empires, the boardgame start in 1265 so only Mamluks and Hafsids... but no advantage... all the same at the beginning.

Prego Nicolas
Nicola
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick de Bretagne
France
Brittany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Buena notte Nico',

Don't you ever sleep, dude? It's late and we (i mean the backers) need you fresh, alert and focused !
To go back to your answers, ringrazio ancora!

1. I won't harass you about your casus belli system (which sounds like this old good Europa Universalis) ; i'm looking forward to read your alpha rules. Some people say patience is a virtue; it's gonna be my motto for the next months.

2. That is a HUGE new: the game starts in 1265. Too bad for France (even if i'm Breton), they are going to lose their ambitious bigot king and soon slide to a long war led by incompetent old feudatories when England should legally wear the two crowns. But 1265 is a "godamn pain" year, full of radical events: Mameluks are kicking crusaders' bottoms, Byzantines are looking for weird alliances (in Iraq!), the pope being French, Sicily becoming Anjou's inheritance, golden horde harassing Northern Greece, rebellions in England (led by a Breton lord by the way), the Empire divided between "guelfi e ghibellini"... Wow, a sublime mess, finally. I understand now why everybody starts at the same level (and the council of Lyon reminds me of how Christians are stubborn and narrow-minded at this time).

3. Molto divertente !

4. "there are random and historical events that enliven the game" did you say? I can only applause. Face events is funny. Face history is challenging.

5. Ironically, of course, "thanks" to the brainless Crusaders and the violent Mongols, Islam is on a clear decline at this period. At least, the Ottoman empire is on the way... Can't wait to see its birth in the game. Because it has to happen, isn't it? Com'on, the Ottomans raise on the ashes of the Seldjuk dynasty. Are they in the game (i know, i know, i ask too many questions... you don't have to answer this one).

6. And to make the night sweet (seen from Europe), a real historical question bound to the game and the epoch : is it possible to play it totally utopically and to unify very early Germany or Italy under a unique crown ?

Non vedo l'ora di tuo leggere (not sure of my Italian accent on this one). ^^

N.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Iannone
Italy
Sovere
BG
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tilith wrote:
Buena notte Nico',

Don't you ever sleep, dude? It's late and we (i mean the backers) need you fresh, alert and focused !
To go back to your answers, ringrazio ancora!

1. I won't harass you about your casus belli system (which sounds like this old good Europa Universalis) ; i'm looking forward to read your alpha rules. Some people say patience is a virtue; it's gonna be my motto for the next months.

2. That is a HUGE new: the game starts in 1265. Too bad for France (even if i'm Breton), they are going to lose their ambitious bigot king and soon slide to a long war led by incompetent old feudatories when England should legally wear the two crowns. But 1265 is a "godamn pain" year, full of radical events: Mameluks are kicking crusaders' bottoms, Byzantines are looking for weird alliances (in Iraq!), the pope being French, Sicily becoming Anjou's inheritance, golden horde harassing Northern Greece, rebellions in England (led by a Breton lord by the way), the Empire divided between "guelfi e ghibellini"... Wow, a sublime mess, finally. I understand now why everybody starts at the same level (and the council of Lyon reminds me of how Christians are stubborn and narrow-minded at this time).

3. Molto divertente !

4. "there are random and historical events that enliven the game" did you say? I can only applause. Face events is funny. Face history is challenging.

5. Ironically, of course, "thanks" to the brainless Crusaders and the violent Mongols, Islam is on a clear decline at this period. At least, the Ottoman empire is on the way... Can't wait to see its birth in the game. Because it has to happen, isn't it? Com'on, the Ottomans raise on the ashes of the Seldjuk dynasty. Are they in the game (i know, i know, i ask too many questions... you don't have to answer this one).

6. And to make the night sweet (seen from Europe), a real historical question bound to the game and the epoch : is it possible to play it totally utopically and to unify very early Germany or Italy under a unique crown ?

Non vedo l'ora di tuo leggere (not sure of my Italian accent on this one). ^^

N.


Ahahahahah impossible to sleep... Wake up at 6:00, I have to look the boardgame... And 3 little sons

6. Yes

"Non vedo l'ora di leggerlo" or "Non vedo l'ora di leggere il tuo regolamento"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick de Bretagne
France
Brittany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
nikianno wrote:


6. Yes



thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

Et au plaisir de te lire (as the local saying goes).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.