24 Posts

Jump Drive» Forums » General

Subject: Expansions question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
will they be "arcs" like RFTG or will they all be able to be combined. I hope the latter as this would make me jump ship from RFTG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't necessarily assume there will be expansions. If there are as many expansions as Race then I doubt they'll all be able to be combined for the same reasons that Race expansions can't. I suppose a "pick 2 expansions" thing could work...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
zabdiel wrote:
I wouldn't necessarily assume there will be expansions. If there are as many expansions as Race then I doubt they'll all be able to be combined for the same reasons that Race expansions can't. I suppose a "pick 2 expansions" thing could work...

Considering it's a "new game" they (Tom) can do whatever they want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Jenson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd buy expansions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has been available for what, two weeks, and people are already asking about expansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Chambers

Toledo
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gumps wrote:
The game has been available for what, two weeks, and people are already asking about expansions?

And this surprises you for some reason? Someone asked if Eminent Domain: Microcosm was going to get one, after all.

I would expect an expansion to be possible, but not any time soon. I would not expect more than two, or more than one "arc."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardTogether wrote:
will they be "arcs" like RFTG or will they all be able to be combined. I hope the latter as this would make me jump ship from RFTG

Given the lessons learned with RFTG and deck size, i suspect multiple expansions would not just all be combined forevermore. Too many cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardTogether wrote:

As with Race, it'll depend on how many expansions there are.

Expansions are like the chicken theory of humour. (One chicken is funny, but each additional chicken is only half as funny as the previous one, so infinite chickens only gives you twice the humour of a single chicken...)

Splitting into Arcs makes the Race expansions worthwhile in their own right. There's nothing to stop you combining them all into a single giant stack, but by doing so you'll miss the full impact of that form of the game.

If they start contemplating a third or fourth expansion, they'll doubtless consider arcs. If there's only ever one or two, they probably won't.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardTogether wrote:
Considering it's a "new game" they (Tom) can do whatever they want.

Well yes, but if you want to predict what they are likely to do then looking at what they have done and said in the past is probably a good plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
Gumps wrote:

And you don't think designers create expansions when they make the base game.. you silly yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
No Race, Roll, or Jump Drive expansions were created with the base game. (The same is also true for all the Pandemic expansions I worked on.)

In the case of Race, two expansions were done by the time we published the base game, but that is because Race had a very long pre-publication time.

The Gathering Storm was designed 6 months after the Race base game.

Rebel vs Imperium was designed 1 year after that.

Occasionally, something gets put aside during development. For example, the first Roll expansion had one faction that got widely varying reactions and played quite differently from the others. It was conceived late in the dev process and we made the decision to hold it back from Ambition so we could test it more. It will appear in the next Roll expansion. But, that's the only "held-over" item between the two expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Occasionally, something gets put aside during development. For example, the first Roll expansion had one faction that got widely varying reactions and played quite differently from the others. It was conceived late in the dev process and we made the decision to hold it back from Ambition so we could test it more. It will appear in the next Roll expansion. But, that's the only "held-over" item between the two expansions.

Hmm... I think there's something else that is "held-over", but I guess it's not exactly an "item". It's something in Ambition that I had vague ideas for using in a future expansion. Tom was skeptical when at some point in Ambition's development I went "oh, please don't touch that, I have plans for it. Vague plans."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
No Race, Roll, or Jump Drive expansions were created with the base game. (The same is also true for all the Pandemic expansions I worked on.)

In the case of Race, two expansions were done by the time we published the base game, but that is because Race had a very long pre-publication time.

If you make any expansions for this game I hope you take a different approach than you did with RftG. It's annoying not being able to combine them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardTogether wrote:

If you make any expansions for this game I hope you take a different approach than you did with RftG. It's annoying not being able to combine them.

It seems your implication is that everything at once would inherently be better when in fact it might just be really bad, or take a really long time to develop, or really limit what can be included, etc.

I'm happy having different flavors of Rftg to play with confidence that each supported combination is well tested, balanced, and fun. So I'd vote, if you make an expansion, do your thing and take whatever approach makes it worthwhile and the best it can be. We don't need a catapult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having now seen & played the game my opinion is that multiple expansions that can be combined are unlikely. There are a number of cards which combo with specific cards (x VP + y with named card, x cards + y with named card, Galactic Trendsetters) so adding many cards to the deck would make some of those cards weaker (unless extra extra copies of those named cards were included).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that if you started adding expansion cards to the mix this game starts losing some of its appeal - a faster, simpler RftG. That being said, I expect if the game is quite successful, I wouldn't be surprised to see expansions or another set being put together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:

Good thing this isn't a video game forum or you would be burned at the stake for merely suggesting that maybe an idea was set aside from a game that could be sold later as an expansion. I don't mind at all I'm sure this happens all the time and the more testing something goes through the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
David, Tom provided an interesting discussion about whether content should go in the original game or in an expansion in this podcast episode:

The Long View: Tom Lehman Interview

This is one of the most informative podcast episodes I've ever listened to (even though Tom's last name is misspelled in the title of the episode!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
David, Tom provided an interesting discussion about whether content should go in the original game or in an expansion in this podcast episode:

If someone's really interested in hearing my thoughts on expansions, that material starts at 2:27:12 and ends at 2:45:15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:

If someone's really interested in hearing my thoughts on expansions, that material starts at 2:27:12 and ends at 2:45:15.

This podcast was very interesting, I did listen to your comments about expansions and I also enjoyed the section on play testing. Its fascinating to hear about the "behind the scenes" stuff that goes on in development.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:

This is one of the most informative podcast episodes I've ever listened to (even though Tom's last name is misspelled in the title of the episode!)

It was a good listen. My original comment was about how the video game crowd is very sensitive about the concept of DLC (expansions) and the idea that something could be removed from a game only to be sold later.

Tom makes a great point in the podcast about how expansions provide a way to dive deeper into the storytelling/gameplay over time and that if a game is overly complex from the beginning it is perceived as "fiddly." This problem of course does not translate to the video game scene.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
DC680 wrote:
This problem of course does not translate to the video game scene.

It is certainly less applicable (since the computer is handling more of the rules), but it could arise. For example, a Civ game could hand out various leader/starter units/etc. positions and then later provide a DLC where the players could build custom start positions via leader/power and unit buys. This would be too much for the game to provide but might make a satisfying DLC for part of the game's audience after they have learned the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DC680 wrote:
Tom makes a great point in the podcast about how expansions provide a way to dive deeper into the storytelling/gameplay over time and that if a game is overly complex from the beginning it is perceived as "fiddly." This problem of course does not translate to the video game scene.

I think it translates. For example, I think the complexity of Starcraft is pretty good, whereas if the extra units in Broodwar were bundled along with the base game, it would be a bit too overwhelming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Magini
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
I really like JD. I already played 27 times and I'm not tired at all. The game is super fun.

But I was wondering if there was an expansion planned for the future ahead. I'd like to see maybe a new way to earn poins... if it won't mess with the game balance which is awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.