GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,484 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Diamant» Forums » Variants

Subject: Artifacts have special powers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking that it would be fun if you could use an artifact to gain a special power. The same rules would apply, except you could "break" your artifact to gain it's special ability. All 5 would have something different. I came up with a few that seem interesting but not game breaking.

Escape death: After a disaster occurs which stops the campaign, you get to leave with your booty.

Clairvoyance: Before choosing to proceed to hand back, look at the top 2 cards of the exploration deck.

Can anyone think of some others? Would this be interesting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought of some more, immunity to certain hazards. One could make you immune to spiders/vipers or fire/rockslides so the campaign ends because of that, this player could keep going.

Might be too strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools

VirtualAlex wrote:
I was thinking that it would be fun if you could use an artifact to gain a special power. The same rules would apply, except you could "break" your artifact to gain it's special ability. All 5 would have something different. I came up with a few that seem interesting but not game breaking.

I like this idea.

VirtualAlex wrote:

Escape death: After a disaster occurs which stops the campaign, you get to leave with your booty.

Or maybe just a single die roll's worth (d6,d8,d10?). The artifact itself is worth 5 or 10 so not to unbalance things, the prize you get for using it should not be too excessive. You already have the added advantage of probably going a few extra steps and scoring more than you might have otherwise, so to it make only marginally when disaster does strike seems to maintain that balance.

VirtualAlex wrote:

Clairvoyance: Before choosing to proceed to hand back, look at the top 2 cards of the exploration deck.

Using this a limited number of times I would think, for the sake of balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools

VirtualAlex wrote:
Thought of some more, immunity to certain hazards. One could make you immune to spiders/vipers or fire/rockslides so the campaign ends because of that, this player could keep going.

Might be too strong.

The balance might be to be able to save everybody who is with you at the time from that disaster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok here is what I came up with after some thought:

Clairvoyance: Peek at the next 2 cards

Elemental Protection: Once a campaign breaks because of fire/rocks you escape with your booty.

Wildlife Protection: Once a campaign break because of spiders/snakes you escape with your booty.

Precognition: You do not need to choose if you are staying or going until all other players have chosen and revealed their choice.

Exorcism: Turn a mummy into a 10-value artifact.

All of these require you to destroy your artifact, so they can each only be used once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools

That could work.

I think the mummy needs some clarification, though. I assume that it becomes an artifact in your possession. This would need to be clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes correct. You simply take the mummy into your treasure pile and proceed with the game as normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.