GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,715 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Combining Expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregor Winkler
Germany
Speyer
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone!
Been here for a long time but finally decided to make my 1st post.
I am a longtime nerd (board games, tabletob, rpg, ccg,...) and decided to get descent 2 for our gaming group.
We played descent 1 a lot, and before you start to worry i've did my research and this is not going to be "which expansion should i buy", as i will get all of them anyway.
Here my questions(s):
To not overwhelm us with too much new stuff (not that the rules would be a problem, but i fear the "theme" of the expansions would suffer if we throw all of them together from the beginning and we only saw that much of what each expansion has to offer) i decided that we run the big box campaigns one after another, each combined with 1 small box for a little bit extra diversion. We also played a few rounds of descent 2 with a friend so we know what we are going to get and are well aware of the differences between descent 1 and 2.

1: What would be the best combos (thematic and rules-wise)
-Base game + liar of the wyrm
-Base game + trollfens
and after that
-Labyrinth of ruin + trollfens
-Labyrinth of ruin + lair of the wyrm

Should we play base+wyrm and then labyrinth+trollfens OR base+trollfens and then labyrinth+wyrm

Which one would be the better combinations of those 2? (Nerekhall will be combined with manor of ravens as the 3rd campaign)
Heirs of blood will be the 4th run (shall be the best from what i've heard, the best for the last run )
And what we do with bilehall and chains that rust will decided later on.

2: Is it really neccessary to get a lieutenant box for the plot cards or can we live without it if we have all other big and small boxes?
Does the gameplay suffer if we don't use it? (the problem will be to decide which lieutenant to get...)
Also we will pass on the conversion kit for now as we have seen the old heroes and monsters enough. The whole new boxes should supply us with more than enough heroes/monsters to start with and if it schould really get boring we can still get the kit and use the 1st edition stuff.
The cooperative stuff will be out of questions since we are mostly at least 5 players.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I think you should just mix everything together from the getgo. Every box (big or small) just adds more stuff (more heroes, more monsters, more classes, more items, more overlord cards, etc.) that can easily be combined. I never felt we lost anything regarding theme. Also, because each expansion basically adds more stuff, there are not many more rules you will have to learn with each added expansion.

The theme shines through mostly via the campaign you are playing. As you know there are 4 big campaigns out now. You can add rumour quests from the small box expansions (and the H&M packs) to spice it up a little bit. These are only 2 extra quests each campaign which always come from the same expansion (1 in act I and 1 in act II). So even if you have all rumour cards from every expansion you own mixed in, it is only 1 expansion of them that gets picked (if any).

But if you really want to keep them separate, I would suggest the Base Game + Lair of the Wyrm, Labyrinth of Ruin + the Trollfens, and Shadow of Nerekhall + Manor of ravens. If you are playing Heirs of blood afterwards, maybe then is the time to really include everything.
Do note that you will always need the material from the base game. So even if you are running the Labyrinth of ruin or Shadow of Nerekhall campaigns, you still need to include the items, monsters, classes, and heroes from the base game.

Lastly, regarding the lieutenant packs, you certainly do not need all of them. But I always recommend you get at least one as the plot deck mechanic is crucial for the correct game balance in my humble opinion. I know there are some who disagree with me here, but it creates a new mechanic for the overlord and a new way he can design his build around. Maybe the best way is to include this in your second campaign as you will undoubtedly have more than enough to learn already in your first run.

Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
foxreinard wrote:

I do this because Descent is a game about giving to both sides, and if the heroes don't pick any of those heroes, then I should not be able to choose the monsters as open groups.

There's no actual justification there as far as I can see.

Giving yourself the same full range of choice they have isn't game breaking, descent was designed for it. And it's more important for you than the heroes as you're restricted by theme.

You're just hamstringing yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor Winkler
Germany
Speyer
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the valuable input guys!

Did a little research on the lieutenant packs myself and have come to this conclusion:

1. base game+wyrm: either ardus or lord merick (can't decide yet, help appreciated)
2. labyrinth+trollfens: belthir
3. nerekhall+manor: verminous
4. heirs of blood: tristayne
maybe as 5: bilhall and chains that rust: gargan

Also found ariad insteresting but not quite shure where to put her...

Any comments appreciated

Edit: should i get raythen and serena for the additional heroes or is it not worth the efford?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
truephoenyx wrote:

Edit: should i get raythen and serena for the additional heroes or is it not worth the efford?

Well with all those expansions you should have quite a few heroes to choose from. When I played LoR my group picked Serena so I have her pack and as a hero I've been underwhelmed.

I haven't tried Raythen but he looks more promising http://descent2e.wikia.com/wiki/Raythen_(Hero)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor Winkler
Germany
Speyer
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, then i will pass on these two for now.
I noticed that i got the newer core set with the heirs of blood campaign included(so i can spare the book), but already found the shadowrune in the interwebs .
I think i'll start with shadowrune (even if seems not too balanced) and keep heirs of blood for number 4, so i can play the campaigns in increasing awesomeness.

Any more thoughts on my choosings of lieutenants for the campaigns?

1. base game+wyrm: either ardus or lord merick (can't decide yet, help appreciated)
2. labyrinth+trollfens: belthir
3. nerekhall+manor: verminous
4. heirs of blood: tristayne
maybe as 5: bilhall and chains that rust: gargan
But maybe i combine heirs of blood with bilehall and rusty chains and use tristayne...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
lieutenants or agents?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor Winkler
Germany
Speyer
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agents of course, sorry. So that i have a new plot deck for each campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Mott
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
I personally have found the Zachareth plot deck to be the most effective as the Overlord, but it's also kind of a drag to play against.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor Winkler
Germany
Speyer
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again guys! Feel now confident to crush my Heroes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor Winkler
Germany
Speyer
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok got belthir for the shadowrune+wyrm campaign.

Read all the articles and cards of the agents, but still can't decide which one to use for the labyrinth+trollfens campaign:

Merick farrow (good deck, but has seen much use in shadowrune as lieutenant and will also appear in labyrinth).
Or ariad (not the queen, a few very potent cards imo but also more "dead" cards in her deck).
Also considered zarihell, but am quite not shure if i find the deck "yeay" or "nay".

Anyone got any experience with these 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor Winkler
Germany
Speyer
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why wouldn't i summon ariad's aganet in labyrinth of ruin? I thought only queen ariad was forbidden to summon?
Other than that very valuable insights, thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor Winkler
Germany
Speyer
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for the clarification.
I think then i'll try out ariad, and keep zarihell im mind for another runthrough!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.