Hold the Line: The American Revolution» Forums » Sessions

Subject: White Plains rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just finished a solo session of White Plains and it was a fantastic battle.

The Brits decided to hit the American left and after bitter fighting the American infantry and artillery withdrew in a very battered state allowing the Brits to move against the American defences and start to roll up their left flank and centre.

Washington joined the battered American unit and started to rally it in order to screen and protect the VP towards the rear of the field from the British advance towards that area.

The Brits then launched a frontal assault to support the battered units fighting hard on the American left. However, just as the Brits were making good progress Washington advanced with the rallied unit and artillery and wrought havoc on the British right. But, just as the American counter attack stalled the British advance against the American left the British frontal assault broke through and the battle was over with a Brit win 7 v. 5.

Very enjoyable battle, particularly with the new components. Loved it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bryant
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As the British, I played the historical strategy of an attack on the American right. It's difficult to manage, as you're pressed up against the edge of the board under American fire. My first assault petered out at a cost of two units each side, but it eliminated the American artillery, so I pulled mine up along the river and dueled them for a while, both sides needing sixes to score. I finally forced another crossing and took a VP hex, but the Yankees chipped in a win seven units to six with some good shooting.

I think the essence for the British player is to know when to shift the battle from one flank to the other, or even call for an assault on the center. The Brits have a numerical advantage, but to bring it to bear they want to get the Americans to commit their reserves and stretch themselves too thin to cover the entire defensive line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very brave of you, Craig.

I tend to go for the Continentals left flank and then the centre-left and then the centre. This has the effect of slowly weakening the Continentals reserves until the line starts to crumble.

I always find the right flank just too hard to attack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.