GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,087 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG@SEA

Subject: 2018 - Convince me to go rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cameron Harris
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read through some old threads here and I'm still not really sure if a BGG @ SEA excursion is for me. Anyone want to convince me one way or the other?

I'm considering 2018

Positive factors I've considered:
I live in Seattle so it's super convenient
I have always wanted to sail the inner passage
I'm currently planning a trip to Glacier Bay (which this would replace)
I love playing board games

However:
The price seems high... even for a cruise. There are other similar cruises out of Seattle for ~$500 less per person
I already own a ton of games and live walking distance to a shop with an amazing library
A cruise ship sounds like a hugely impersonal way to sail such a beautiful route
Playing board games and sight seeing don't overlap well

So, for those who have been on these sorts of things before. What draws you in? Anything that would keep you from going again? Is the higher price worth the benefits of being on-board with BGG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went on the inaugural trip with my wife (2015), and we are going again this year - probably only skipped 2016 because we had just moved across country. That being said, we will be skipping 2018 - mostly due to the price since the Alaska trip is much more expensive than the Caribbean trips have been, and Seattle is a long way for us.

The thing that I really enjoyed about the 2015 cruise is that I always had things to do with people that I had things in common with. While I didn't get the amount of boardgaming in that I get at a typical BGG.CON, it was also a lot more intimate - there were enough people that you could almost always find a game, but it didn't have the overload that you have on Friday and Saturday at BGG. And lets be honest, BGG folk are by and large pretty awesome.

While my initial thoughts after getting home from the first cruise were that I would have liked to have spend more time playing games, after further reflection, I realized that I wasn't exhausted for a week like I am after a typical BGG.CON. Let be frank, as much as we all love playing games - there needs to be a break now and then, and getting to see a show on the boat or stroll around Grand Cayman, or even a dip in the pool is a great way to take a break (at least one of the above, if not 2 won't be practical for an Alaska cruise though...).

Not having ever done an Alaska cruise, I can't speak to the shore excursions - if you don't think you'd enjoy them, it may not make sense for you.

If taking an Alaska cruise is something you've been interested in doing anyway, this is probably a good excuse to go (depending on how price compares with others - I haven't compared prices, since I'm not really interested in cruising Alaska). You will guarantee that you will be able to find a group of people that share a common interest, which is very useful for introverts like myself - I would have a hard time getting on a boat full of complete strangers.

However, if you normally wouldn't be interested in cruising Alaska, and are only thinking of going because of BGG@SEA, this may not be for you. While there will be a good deal of board gaming going on, it is more limited than something like BGG.CON. For example, during shore excursions during the first cruise, everyone was off the boat, so no gaming. If you wanted to take a week off to just play board games (and could get a group to do so) and that's all you wanted to do, it's cheaper to just stay home.

So, to sum up, I've come to view the BGG@SEA as more of a cruise that happens to have an awesome board game library and people to play games with, rather than the other way around. If you think you would be interested in cruising, it may be worth it. If cruising is something you normally wouldn't do, I wouldn't do it just for the board gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dupree
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My family is planning on going because (to plagarize)
* We live in Seattle so it's super convenient
* Two of us (the adults) have always wanted to sail the inner passage
* We all love playing board games, even the current 3 year old

I'm going to go ahead and assume the BGG cost portion is $250 per person, because you can book your own room directly and pay that cost separately. So that's half of the $500 you mentioned. I guess it pays for the gaming room and... stuff. I can't say if it's worth it or not since this will be my first time. Also on that note, keep in mind that the BGG@SEAFEE includes all taxes, fees, and tips, which most quotes prices don't.

I'm not sure what you mean by "A cruise ship sounds like a hugely impersonal way to sail such a beautiful route" unless you are referring to a huge cruise ship. vs some kind of smaller vessel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hadden
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Toot, toot!
badge
If all else fails...
mbmbmbmbmb
"I'm currently planning a trip to Glacier Bay (which this would replace)"

I may have more to say later, but I would strongly suggest that you don't "replace." Glacier Bay should be seen. It and Denali are the two must-see places in Alaska. This cruise will be a great introduction to Alaska, but since you live so close I'd suggest "both" not "replace."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went for the first time in 2016, and I found the value for the cruise to be okay. I did find the drink packages pretty expensive (they are in addition to the listed cost).

Remember that in the BGG price, gratuities are included, which makes a big difference.

Also, everyone received a free game, and first timers even got two.

I enjoyed trying quite a few games that I had no opportunity to try so far.

The only slight disappointment I had was that when we got to the room, most people were already playing, and it we rarely got a table with other geeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Harris
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alrighty! I'm convinced. Sounds like this will be a great time!
If anyone not from the Seattle area is coming in and wants to get together for games the night before departure hit me up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb

Oh, I thought you said "to NOT go". Never mind, move along!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manda Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stryker1979 wrote:
I went on the inaugural trip with my wife (2015), and we are going again this year - probably only skipped 2016 because we had just moved across country. That being said, we will be skipping 2018 - mostly due to the price since the Alaska trip is much more expensive than the Caribbean trips have been, and Seattle is a long way for us.

He caved. Deposit paid! See ya on the trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.