United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It Was 20 Years Ago Today - part 6

continuing our journey through Avalon Hill’s 1997 catalog

I know what you’re thinking - “There’s only a few titles here I haven’t played.”

Same here. Some really stand out in my mind, for various reasons.

War and Peace sported an imaginary river in southern Russia. That killed my desire to play further since I prefer my fantasy games to include dragons.

Some of my fondest gaming memories come from playing Diplomacy.

Tactics II always seemed to be of more historical importance than actually providing gaming fun.

Richthofen's War sans maneuver cards seemed to me just as lame as U-Boat from the early 60s.

I spent many, many hours playing B-17: Queen of the Skies. My favorite crew were volunteers from the Soviet Union - their B-17 emblazoned with “Crush The Nest Of The Fascist Vipers.”

Until EastFront was published, Russian Front was my favorite Barbarossa game. I even lost in a tournament to one of my best friends Sean F. who walked away with the prize that year.

Any memories, good or bad, you’d like to share?

link to part 1
link to part 2
link to part 3
link to part 4
link to part 5
link to part 6
link to part 7
link to part 8
link to part 9
link to part 10
link to part 11
link to parts list special edition
link to part 12
link to part 13
link to part 14
link to part 15
link to part 16
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
Russian Front was my 2nd serious wargame and my first East Front foray.

When I was starting college at IUP in 1992 I went into a store called Patty's Paperbacks which was a used book store/comic store/boardgames store. They had the comics out front(I had a subscription to about five titles) and toward the back they had the games laid out in basically a book case. And in the back of that shelf, way on the bottom, was Russian Front.

Together with Sixth Fleet, Russian Front made me a life long wargamer. Patty's is long since gone (almost 20 yrs now) but the memories of that store live on. Nothing ever beats the first time you really encounter something that becomes an integral part of your life.

Good times
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I've not played most of those, even though some are classics. I only ever played an unfinished single game of Diplomacy with a few friends in high school. I did own and enjoy Across 5 Aprils back in the day; I think 2 different friends played it with me on various occasions. I was very interested in the Civil War at the time. I owned The Civil War but sadly never got it to the table...

Non-wargamewise, 1830: Railways & Robber Barons was a significant part of my life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, Diplomacy

Copy & Paste of my memory geeklist

"I just have time for one more story and this one goes back to the early eighties and the aforementioned Light Brigade wargame shop.

I had learned that the group there were organizing the Belgian Diplomacy Championships. As I knew and had gamed with a couple of guys there I was determined to play and got a spot in one of the qualifiers which I either won or came in best second - anyway, I advanced to the finals.

A table of sharks and one 17-year old in only his second Diplomacy game of his life. How sharky they were cannot be better demonstrated than by the fact that the year before they had locked one of the contestants in the bathroom, he missed his orders phase and lost the game and the judge ruled that fair play.

As the inexperienced kid I knew I had no chance of winning, but I'd make sure the first guy who betrayed me lost and I said so to everyone I talked to. This must have made some sort of impression because I only got back-stabbed rather late in the game and I got 3rd spot - or 4th - somewhere in the middle of the pack and was pretty pleased with my performance.

The year after that they knew me and I got eliminated in the preliminary round

Other players : Rudy, ... don't remember any other names or faces."

A couple years ago I rounded up some fellow BGG'ers to play their first game of it at this Diplomacy netplay website. Things went well until somebody thought he was being betrayed most heinously and dropped out of the game. With 2 power-blocks remaining I could see this heading to a war that would never finish so I proposed we'd call it quits, but as happens with new players they wanted to finish it. As there was no Diplomacy left, just two blocks planning their moves, taking a territory or losing one per turn I wasn't pleased as it dragged on. And the game fell apart anyway a bit later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember getting B-17 way back when I was first married. The wife worked a 3-11 shift at the hospital, so evenings were spent playing B-17. I recall how good it felt to have a B-17 go 25 missions. I think my best was surviving 30 missions. I had a lot of fun with this game. It sits on the shelf these days...sadly unplayed but ever hopeful it will see the light of day again! I laugh when I hear the pundits criticize this game. It might be a bit dated but if you have any sense of imagination and a spare 30 minutes...man can it be very enjoyable.

I also got Raid on St. Nazaire which I still think is one of the better solo games out there. I just loved setting up the plan and seeing it unfold and then adapting to circumstances as the game progressed. Another one that has not been played in a long time but still in my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lesco
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with you. From my point of view there was a lot to like about War and Peace but, yes, that river really threw me. How could such a group of professionals let that happen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Diplomacy too long with the same group of friends. At this point, everyone has been betrayed too many times by everyone else and we can no longer muster the minimal in-game trust required to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Russian Front

Still a favorite. Well supported by grogs with extensions to Berlin and the Caucasus, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
aiabx wrote:
I've played Diplomacy too long with the same group of friends. At this point, everyone has been betrayed too many times by everyone else and we can no longer muster the minimal in-game trust required to play the game.

Ah yes. the hold over grudges. Love it. I own two different versions of Diplomacy.

Splendidly lovely game. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Vroomer wrote:
aiabx wrote:

Ah yes. the hold over grudges. Love it. I own two different versions of Diplomacy.

Splendidly lovely game. cool

It's really not grudges, it's just that we all know that none of us can be trusted to keep a promise because everyone remembers being betrayed by everyone else. We need to bring in someone who has never heard our lies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawkeye
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I played a lot of 1830: Railways & Robber Barons back in 1990 or so when I was living in LA attending the Strategicon Conventions ...

My buddy Nick went on a Napoleonics Miniatures kick so I need up playing Napoleon's Battles. A good, clean set of rules as I recall.

I never owned or even played B-17: Queen of the Skies, which is surprising given my avatar ...

And Richthofen's War ... the first real wargame I ever owned. Deeply flawed as a simulation but I loved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cavallari
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how many times I started to read the rules to Blackbeard and just gave up. So many piddly little 2 sentence rules, like the one about making sure you have enough lemons so your crew doesn't get Scurvy. C'mon, they're pirates! I pretty sure they're supposed to have Scurvy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Own B-17: Queen of the Skies and Air Force/Dauntless but have only played B-17: Queen of the Skies (about 90 times or so, most with the 281st BG Play By Forum group). Have never gotten a B-17 past 14 missions but it's always fun trying. The game does play better in a group so that you can share your victories and miseries with the rest of the squadron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.