Sword & Sorcery» Forums » General

Subject: Re-play value rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex B
msg tools
mb
Hey Folks,

I'm sure this has been talk about before. What is the re-playability looking like for this game? Any good reviews I should check out?

Thanks,
Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
game isn't out yet... still waiting on a solid shipping date.so,only way to tell anything about the gameplay.is on tabletopia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
But it's a very similar design to Galaxy Defenders, right? Can't we infer anything from that, or at least speculate? How is the replayability on that one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the Galaxy Defenders campaign 4 times with a 5th play-through planned. Based on the hero variety I'm expecting more replayability from Sword & Sorcery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terah wrote:
I've played the Galaxy Defenders campaign 4 times with a 5th play-through planned. Based on the hero variety I'm expecting more replayability from Sword & Sorcery.

It's not just hero variety, either. The equipment you pick up/purchase can make even the same hero play very differently (because a lot of their capabilities depend on equipment). For instance, playing the tank hero with a shield and sword is a very different feel than if you pick the two-handed axe (or whatever the two-handed weapon is; can't recall off the top of my head), and that's just starting equipment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They also implemented a mechanic for enemy exchange. Every enemy has a strength rating (1-4) and fighting style, so you can swap enemies according to these stats to gain another gameplay experience.

So for your next run at the campaign you can:
- change characters
- change alignment
- get/buy different items
- exchange enemies
- use fan made scenarios (S&S scenario editor)

And hopefully we will see some time in the future a random scenario generator! It was requested by backers many times and Gremlins confirmed that they'll think into it. But they also said that they'll only release it if they find a really well working solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
carraway0877 wrote:
They also implemented a mechanic for enemy exchange. Every enemy has a strength rating (1-4) and fighting style, so you can swap enemies according to these stats to gain another gameplay experience.

So for your next run at the campaign you can:
- change characters
- change alignment
- get/buy different items
- exchange enemies
- use fan made scenarios (S&S scenario editor)

And hopefully we will see some time in the future a random scenario generator! It was requested by backers many times and Gremlins confirmed that they'll think into it. But they also said that they'll only release it if they find a really well working solution.

Please add that some quests will vary based on the soul nature...
For example, the final Quest (and your allies) of Immortal Souls will be selected based on your behaviours during the campaign.

At the same way, on Darkness Falls, one of your hero can become a Werewolf or a Vampire, and so on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
msg tools
mb
Interesting. I'm starting to get a bit of a picture. Sounds like some variability in there, but the particular story or quest your playing would stay the same every time you play it. More like Gears of War than Runebound say.

Are people excited for it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thompson
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
It's also worth mentioning that there is a good deal of variability built into the scenario we've seen so far.

Some events are shuffled and dealt face down randomly in specified locations, so whilst you will ( if you choose ) encounter both a trap event and a friendly merchant, when and where you encounter them can be very different. Some of these events are "Story Events" which are tied to the specific scenario, and these can also presumably be randomly distributed, so you might find the secret door or the key to the magically locked chest in a different area every time you play.

The same is true for encounters, which are made up from a specified group of tokens which are shuffled and placed face down on specified areas of the map. These can be no ( or scenario specific ) encounter, single or double enemies or champions with additional ( randomly drawn ) abilities. The resultant enemies are also drawn from a pre-built deck, adding further variability.

It's worth stressing that alignment seems to also have a large impact on the game, offering different story choices with many of the scenario events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ACBez wrote:
Interesting. I'm starting to get a bit of a picture. Sounds like some variability in there, but the particular story or quest your playing would stay the same every time you play it. More like Gears of War than Runebound say.

Are people excited for it?

I am. And then it's worth noting there are about 14 scenarios IIRC. Between that and the variability of each scenario, I consider that good replay value.

I own and love Galaxy Defenders. The base game has about 12 missions, which you play about 10(?) of during a campaign. Re-playing the same mission is not a problem. In fact, there were several missions I didn't make on my first attempt. Subsequent plays differed materially (though some key events were the same).

S&S has replayability beyond that of Galaxy Defenders for various reasons. One of them is you can use different monsters on subsequent play-throughs of the same scenario. Because monsters really are very different from one another and have each a unique behavior pattern, that alone should make the quest feel (and play out) massively different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.