BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Please share your experience when you buy a new game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Mikaelian
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Have you ever made a decision to buy a new game without testing and with no reviews?
If yes, what did impact your decision to buy the game?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends what you mean by a "review". I have never bought a game without seeing any feedback from anyone. But I generally don't read "reviews" at all. I just read short blurbs (generally from geekbuddy ratings), and other callouts from random places across BGG, e.g. Essen-related geeklists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamine Allen
United States
Grand Ledge
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Theme, mechanics, company name, and cost. That is the order I look at games whether I check out reviews or not. I tend to not worry about reviews for anything under $20. I have bought many games based on theme alone that sound interesting, and for the most part that has worked out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yes. Especially before finding this site.

Drawn by title and cover art, read back of box and liked the theme and mechanics. Final factor was price -about $30. Felt I could risk up to that amount without feeling bad if I did not like it. The higher the price, the bigger the box ... then there's more to consider. It's not just expense, closet / shelf space is becoming scarce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Publisher and designer can cause me to buy a game sight unseen. Tresham, Jensen, Eklund, and Hayden are autobuys. GMT, Sierra Madre are autobuys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually haven't played a game when I buy, but I have a wishlist and a 'shadow wishlist'. If a game is on either of those, I have researched it and I am fairly confident of its qualities.

I have deviated from this rule only once (because of the price and the recommendation of the store owner) and I gave away that game unplayed two months ago, so no more blind buying for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tron
United States
California
flag msg tools
Just Chill
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Terraforming Mars after hearing that it was a good game. Didn't actually read any reviews or get to play it myself. The theme caught my interest, and the person I bought it from was selling it for $40 shipped, which is very low compared to the $100+ prices I am seeing now. Ended up being my favorite game of last year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ontario
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barev wrote:
Have you ever made a decision to buy a new game without testing and with no reviews?

Not since I got into the hobby. I always at least read a few reviews and I've only gotten more cautious over time.

I have gotten games not already on my wishlist before and researched them while in the store. When that occurs it is usually because it is on the sale table. The sale table can be stocked by games that are either not being bought or games that they had overflow of so it is good to be careful. I don't want to buy something we wont want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ontario
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I think of it, there were a couple games I bought early in my purchasing upswing that I didn't research. Most turned out to be a waste of money which is why I'm more cautious now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Price.

That's the express route to a big collection of crappy games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Price.

That's the express route to a big collection of crappy games.
Yep, I mean mine is full of right tat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Largely stupidity, sometimes booze.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
when i get home, i'm so tired. just roll over, please, i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Largely stupidity, sometimes booze.

"Only 85 more bucks until free shipping! I'm sure I can find something!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barev wrote:

Thank you!

All my life. Attractive covers and themes and intriguing components illustrated on the back of the box.

The internet didn't exist when I got a large portion of my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy most of my games without knowing much about them other than the publisher, designer, basic game info, and some pictures. I'm generally not one to read/watch reviews or care much about what other people think of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Nelson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I actually just looked this up in my collection, and I have a exactly six games that I purchased sight unseen... That are still there. All the others have been sold or traded, because they are almost always accompanied by regret. The most notable exception is Cry Havoc that I bought when I heard it described as Blood Rage in Space (it really isn't but that's for another thread.)

If I can't play it myself or read a rulebook, I have to watch enough of a playthrough to get familiar with it before I click "Checkout." This holds true for pledging on KS. No Playthrough = skip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Hui
United States
White Salmon
WA
flag msg tools
I ride mountain bikes and road bikes. Ask me how!
badge
You can't connect the dots looking forward you can only connect them looking backwards
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only ever purchased one game sight unseen. I was at GenCon 2016 for my very first time and apparently had a hole burning in my pocket for random games I hadn't even heard of. I picked up a game based on cover artwork and reading the short blurb on the backside of the box. The game ended up being sort of meh for me, but I think it took that experience to learn to be more patient (in that case, the game was introduced at GenCon) and wait for some first look-type reviews before taking any action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the beginning all I knew was I liked Clue and Monopoly. I heard that Catan was the rage so we bought Catan only to find out that you need 3 to play so I combed the shelves a year later and found Carcassonne. We didn't like it too much. Then I found board game geek and now I watch Rahdo's videos before buying a game. And with every game I learn more about what I like and do not like and what to look for and what to watch out for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric chang
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Imagination.

I bought Carson City without reading a review. Well, I did just to confirm what I wanted was there. I was looking for a game that had worker placement and a rule in which the action spot could be contested. So, I searched for a game that matched my imagination of what I hoped to find. Also, other times it's the art or theme.

I hope that this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The last time I did that was like three or four years ago at the Spiel. It was 20 minutes before closing time, I had barely touched my Spiel budget, saw some indie developer sell two of their games as a pack somewhat cheaper than if bought individually, so I went for it.

In the end, it wasn't a good decision, but at least I didn't spend a lot of money there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.