8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Art and Graphic Design

Subject: Game card art/layout thoughts please rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Malcolm
msg tools
Hi,
This is my first post and first real go at making a game. Ive been working on a board game idea on and off for over a year now and finally have the courage to show people beyond my world what I have created.

I'm not a tech/computer person and struggle in that department. The images are ink paintings I have been working on.

Im scared to ask but need to get some thoughts, what are people's initial reactions? Is it appealing? Bottom line, are they good and if not, how can I improve them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Heath-Renn
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
235689KA
badge
Content Generation For A New Generation
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really consider myself qualified to comment on art, but the layout is very nice! Definitely clear and readable, and pretty thematically clear too.

The icons seem pretty intuitive (well - I'm going to guess melee combat strength, range strength, and movement, and I'd be surprised if they weren't the meanings*). I will say that at the moment they seem a little dwarfed by the whitespace they're in - it's good that they're not cramped together, but I think having the icon/number pairs be in slightly darker rectangles or having a box around each icon/number pair might help them look a bit more grounded and less adrift.

I might also choose a slightly different icon for the range/gun - it's a good image but it's a bit long and slender compared to the other two icons, which are more square-shaped, which means it looks a bit too wide and spindly by comparison (see how the space between it and the numeral is less than for the other icons, as well as the space between it and the image). This might be a simple case of rotating it akin to the knife; experiment and see what you can come up with. (On a similar note, I might prefer the item cards with consistently sized background rectangles, rather than having them roughly scaled to match the image.)

Other than those niggles though, I'd say the layout is pretty solid. Good job, especially for a first design. :-)

*unless there are actual knives and guns in the game and the icons are 'knife strength' and 'gun strength' in which case fair enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Malcolm
msg tools
Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate your response. I've looked and fiddled with these cards for so long that certain things don't stand out anymore and your suggestions make perfect sense.
As to the icon meanings, you are pretty close. These are base score stats that can obviously be modified, the running man represents FLEE, an option to avoid an encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Braun
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I love the layout you've designed! They are definitely very close to being done. Your work is very solid and easy to read, it works fairly well.

My only advice would be to make the name of characters/items, the one in the top left, either a different color or make the name section stand out just slightly more. With all the red blood and effects, visually the name kind of disapears when you are looking at the card as a whole. If you're going for that then definitely leave it! But if not, try just a different color, or adding the same style box that is at the bottom of the character cards to the top as well. That might be too busy looking though. Or you just add a simple line that goes across the card directly underneath the name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex L
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These look great! In the game do you have both the character and item cards in your hand? If so, a minor suggestion would be to have 'Item' in the top left corner a different color so it is easier to sort. Since both the names of the characters and the word 'item' are red.

Overall, though, I think the cards are definitely visually appealing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Nowakowski
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I´ve recently started on my own game and I find the card intreface one of the hardest things to design.
Your layouts are solid. They look nice and are easy to read which is probably the most important thing. The characters and equipment look very similair and maybe that´s on purpose..if not you could try to color code them. Keep the equipment red and make the characters blue or grey...dunno if that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Malcolm
msg tools
Thanks to all for the positive comments. I can see where everyone is coming from. At the moment I'm working on more art for the game, which is so time consuming as well as further play testing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tabula Games
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the theme of the game survival? If so, personally I would say that the design really goes with it. Well done

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.