Hide
22 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions from a total card game noob rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Petersen
msg tools
Okay so I just got bit solo play games and am trying to actually play this game for the first time but as a noob I am very overwhelmed by the rules and all the different actions you go through each turn. I will have lots of questions I imagine as I go through the rule book but for now I have one.

I am in first scenario passage through mirkwood and trying to resolve the first location old forest road that says after you travel to old forest road you may choose and ready one character you control. My question is since the quest phase happens before travel phase and I have committed a hero to a quest, once I travel to the old forest road can I ready that same character to act in the engagement/combat phase and still have them contribute their points to the quest I originally used them for? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Aust
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterpetersen wrote:
Okay so I just got bit solo play games and am trying to actually play this game for the first time but as a noob I am very overwhelmed by the rules and all the different actions you go through each turn. I will have lots of questions I imagine as I go through the rule book but for now I have one.

I am in first scenario passage through mirkwood and trying to resolve the first location old forest road that says after you travel to old forest road you may choose and ready one character you control. My question is since the quest phase happens before travel phase and I have committed a hero to a quest, once I travel to the old forest road can I ready that same character to act in the engagement/combat phase and still have them contribute their points to the quest I originally used them for? Thanks

Yes. Readying them will not negate their contribution to the quest, but will provide a second contribution toward anything after the travel phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You basically answered your own question:

The Quest Phase happens before the Travel Phase.

Commit any ready characters you wish to the Quest. Draw your encounter card, total up the staging area threat, and compare it to your committed willpower. Place progress tokens or raise threat accordingly.

Now the Travel Phase. Travel to Old Forest Road. Ready one exhausted character as per the Response. This character is now ready and can do anything that involves a cost of "exhausting" --- such as defending or attacking.

Note that even if you had the means to ready the character during the Quest Phase, they would still commit their willpower to the quest. Committed characters remain committed to the quest until the end of the Quest Phase unless some effect specifically removes them from the quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Petersen
msg tools
Thank you for quick response. Next question. If I choose not to commit any character to the quest during a round, do I still have to draw a card from the encounter deck and place it in staging area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Piepho
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Thank you for quick response. Next question. If I choose not to commit any character to the quest during a round, do I still have to draw a card from the encounter deck and place it in staging area?

Yes, but keep in mind that if you don't send anyone on the quest, your threat will increase even more (unless you happen to draw a treachery card from the encounter deck).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Petersen
msg tools
skystalker wrote:
Quote:

Yes, but keep in mind that if you don't send anyone on the quest, your threat will increase even more (unless you happen to draw a treachery card from the encounter deck).

Ah okay so if threat level on table is 5 for enemies and I don't commit anyone to quest I would have to increase threat level by 5, but if I dedicated a hero with 4 questing ability I wouldn't make progress on quest but I would only have to increase threat by 1.

So even if I know I can't make progress might still be good idea to commit to quest to reduce amount of threat

Between having to exhaust to commit to quest, defend And attack seems like it will be hard to solo with only 3 characters, but I asssume that is what allies are for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterpetersen wrote:

Ah okay so if threat level on table is 5 for enemies and I don't commit anyone to quest I would have to increase threat level by 5, but if I dedicated a hero with 4 questing ability I wouldn't make progress on quest but I would only have to increase threat by 1.

So even if I know I can't make progress might still be good idea to commit to quest to reduce amount of threat

Between having to exhaust to commit to quest, defend And attack seems like it will be hard to solo with only 3 characters, but I asssume that is what allies are for.

This is all correct. If the threat level on the table is 5 and you only have a 4-willpower hero that you can afford to send to the quest (for example, maybe you're holding two heroes in reserve for attacking and defending the enemy that you know is going to engage you this turn)... then you know you're going to fail the quest by at LEAST 1, plus the threat of whatever card you turn over (probably 2 or 3 more). BUT if you don't send any heroes, then you're going to fail the quest by 5 PLUS the threat of whatever card you turn over.

Yes, the number of actions you can do per turn is one of your most limiting resources. (The other one is resource tokens, of course). This is why readying effects like Unexpected Courage, or Aragorn's ability to ready himself during the quest phase by paying 1 resource, are so powerful. When you first start playing, you may not realize how useful it is to get "action advantage" (an extra action per turn), but once you've gotten a few games under your belt, you'll be looking for all the action advantage you can get. And you're absolutely right that that's what allies are for: adding extra willpower to the quest, or else as an extra defender. It's a totally valid tactic to use a low-cost ally (like the Snowbourn Scout, who only costs 1 Leadership resource) to defend even though you know the attack will kill them. "Chump blocking" like that can free up your more powerful heroes to attack the enemies and get them off the board, so that they won't be around to attack you NEXT turn.

One note about Aragorn: as others have mentioned, readying him during the quest phase does not remove his willpower from the quest. So Aragorn can contribute 2 willpower and still be available to attack or defend, for a cost of 1 resource. If you've gotten Celebrían's Stone onto Aragorn, then he'll have a whopping FOUR willpower available to quest with, and still be available to attack or defend, for that same 1 resource!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Petersen
msg tools
Wow that's great really looking forward to getting into this game as well as Arkham LCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Piepho
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The important thing is to hang in there, and don't try playing the the 30-card Tactics deck by itself. It'll work OK if you play two-handed solo, along with Spirit or Leadership. As you learn some of the power combos like those Robin pointed out above, and Sneak Attack/Gandalf, you'll beat the Passage quest. Journey down the Anduin is a little more challenging but you can find single hand decks online that will handle it fine with just core set cards. The third quest in the core is practically impossible single, and tough two-handed; it scales up and is one of those quests that is easier to beat three or four-handed. But, hang in there, as this game is one of the best, and if you are a Tolkien fan, it is the bomb!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skystalker wrote:
It'll work OK if you play two-handed solo

Sorry to butt in but I suspect the answer will also help the OP.

Another noob here. I keep seeing references to "two handed Solo" What exactly does this mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GregDarcy wrote:
skystalker wrote:

Another noob here. I keep seeing references to "two handed Solo" What exactly does this mean?

A two-player game driven by a single person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It refers to a single person operating two different decks and hands, as if two players were playing together. Two cards are drawn off the encounter deck during staging, etc.

I like playing solo, and double-fisting allows me to design two decks that work in tandem, use the Ranged and Sentinel keywords, play attachments on one another etc. It also allows you to experience the encounter deck in new ways, as many quests have mechanics that effect individual players differently. Many quests are also extremely punishing when attempted solo, though some get easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Sewell
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GregDarcy wrote:
skystalker wrote:

It means you build two decks and play both of them as if you were 2 different people, switching the first player token, etc..

In this game when people talk about true solo they are building a single deck and drawing only a single card off the encounter deck.

2-handed solo let's you use a greater variety of cards and fully enjoy such keywords as Ranged and Sentinel (in a non-house modded manner. It takes a little extra mental gymnastics to run 2 hands, but that is how I play solo and it's really not bad at all. Plus, when I do have a friend up for a game I have a second deck ready to go for them.

On the other hand, other players really enjoy trying to create a single deck that can complete the quest.

My best advice to a new player is to try both and see which you like.

Edit....I took to long typing and got beat to the answer :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Erik,

Now you maybe have a game or two under your belt, I would HIGHLY recommend two things.

1. Watch the Rodney Smith 'Watch it Played' video of the game. He plays through the 'passage through mirkwood' scenario and its really great for getting the rules down.

2. Read through this guide and work through it as described: A guide for new LOTR:LCG solo players
I got 40 plays from the core set, and really have a good feel for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gribbon wrote:
1. Watch the Rodney Smith 'Watch it Played' video of the game. He plays through the 'passage through mirkwood' scenario and its really great for getting the rules down.

+1 - this series really helped me to get my head around the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread makes me happy! I'm really glad you're enjoying the game. I also play Arkham LCG and am excited to see where it goes, but as for strategy games that work really well solo, I love LotR. Keep it alive by digging deep!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Petersen
msg tools
Thank you so much for your help. As someone who comes from videogaming and posts on gamefaqs for help, it's amazing to see the difference in people between here and there. There would have been about 20 sarcastic or rude comments on there followed by people getting into an argument about a completely off topic subject. I suppose the average board gamer isn't 12 lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted W
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Sight beyond sight!
badge
*Shrug* Wampas, am I right?
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboard Conundrum wrote:
Gribbon wrote:

+1 - this series really helped me to get my head around the game.

Watching Rodney play that chapter convinced me to buy this game, as well as cemented my love for "Watch it Played".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etemenanki
Spain
Tarragona
flag msg tools
LoTR Fan!
badge
J.R.R. Tolkien Rocks!
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterpetersen wrote:
Thank you so much for your help. As someone who comes from videogaming and posts on gamefaqs for help, it's amazing to see the difference in people between here and there. There would have been about 20 sarcastic or rude comments on there followed by people getting into an argument about a completely off topic subject. I suppose the average board gamer isn't 12 lol.

As videogames was as overcrowded a lot long time ago, everytime there are so much annoying teenagers in that websites. Videogames websites has becoming to a hell. Here the ambient is more formal and calm. I love BoardGameGeek. I don't visit that websites yet years ago. I don't lose my health yet.

LotR LCG is the best card game for solo play. Everyday you will have many questions about cards or the game, but if you are patient, everytime you will enjoy so much.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan E.

Lawrence
Kansas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Gribbon wrote:

2. Read through this guide and work through it as described: A guide for new LOTR:LCG solo players

I'm wondering how long other new players stuck to just the core. I'm at 40+ plays and counting just with the core but have the first several expansion boxes and full AP series thanks to a seller on FB. But I just haven't felt the need to start dipping into them yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etemenanki
Spain
Tarragona
flag msg tools
LoTR Fan!
badge
J.R.R. Tolkien Rocks!
mbmbmbmbmb
ozradio wrote:
Gribbon wrote:

I'm wondering how long other new players stuck to just the core. I'm at 40+ plays and counting just with the core but have the first several expansion boxes and full AP series thanks to a seller on FB. But I just haven't felt the need to start dipping into them yet.

Me too. After 50+ Core plays under my belt, I still enjoy the Core Set so much. Now I'm still going to "A Journey to Rhosgobel", and although eventually I have purchased many expansions (the four first cycles with your pertinents DeLuxe boxes and the four first Saga boxes), they still remain sealed. I'm not in a hurry, I'll already arrive. laugh

This game have so much playability and it isn't boring to play same missions with differents decks, spheres or a mixture of theirs. Deck construction (not deck building) is fun. This game is a lot of fun and for solitaire gamers is almost perfect.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninam wrote:
ozradio wrote:
Gribbon wrote:

Me too. After 50+ Core plays under my belt, I still enjoy the Core Set so much. Now I'm still going to "A Journey to Rhosgobel", and although eventually I have purchased many expansions (the four first cycles with your pertinents DeLuxe boxes and the four first Saga boxes), they still remain sealed. I'm not in a hurry, I'll already arrive. laugh

This game have so much playability and it isn't boring to play same missions with differents decks, spheres or a mixture of theirs. Deck construction (not deck building) is fun. This game is a lot of fun and for solitaire gamers is almost perfect.

Have fun!

50+? I'm really impressed, I think a played each scenario from the core game once and move on to saga expansions, quests based on books have a much bigger appeal to me. And putting Billy the pony in your deck of course
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.