Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Boyens
United States
Mission Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mb
How does this game compare to Squad Leader?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom M
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
Disclaimer: Ive not actually played ASL. But i know people who have and tried to tempt me into it. I was debating which system to go for.

In a nutshell LNL is based on ASL - The originally designer has stated that. But he dialed back the rules. My friends with ASL have huge folders full of rules covering every type of weapon, weather condition, situation etc.
But do you know what...? they never play it. Its just too much.
LNL has a large range of units, portable support weapons, ATG's. Trucks, Tanks, Armoured Cars, Planes, Anti Aircraft. there are different types of movement to. such as Low crawling, double time, stealth, Assualt. But with rules that are less intimidating and alot is prompted on the tokens.
The artwork is both practical as well as a real pleasure to look upon. Sorry i might be shallow but nice art really adds to the fun of playing. ASL just looks so Dull.

I love the story aspect of LNL with the events which may get triggered during a game. There are so many scenarios to too (approx 30 in Normandy).
The LNL rules cover modern conflicts too so if you fancy some Vietnam, Falklands or Libyan action you dont need to learn any new rules. (well maybe 1-2 pages of variation. They didnt have Helicopters in Normandy.

Maybe somebody else will write back as to why ASL is better but i for one am really happy with this system and look forward to what they will bring out in the future. O did i mention each LNL game is standalone. IE a full rules set (the same) in each box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a PnP demo of the game:

http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/resources/lnlt-world-war-ii-...

Contains all the rules and components to play the included scenario.

If you don't feel like printing it all out you can just print the rules and use the VASSAL module version:

http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/resources/lock-n-load-tactic...

It's very similar to Squad Leader, which is the game that got me hooked on wargaming 35+ years ago, but with a lighter rules set and different flow to the game.

LnLT system uses an impulse system, each player moves only a few units each impulse, instead of each player moving all their units then the other player does the same.

I still have all my original Squad Leader stuff, never moved to ASL just too much for me, but I also own all the LnLT series. I play more LnLT now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Field

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
is this anything like Ambush! I have never play ASL, so can't compare. I'm always looking for a good WW@ solo game , and this looks great, but thought I'd ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cdfield wrote:
is this anything like Ambush! I have never play ASL, so can't compare. I'm always looking for a good WW@ solo game , and this looks great, but thought I'd ask.

This is game is not designed as a solo game like Ambush is.
It is very playable solo though. No hidden info. You just play each side as best as you can.

There is a solo module coming soon that will run the enemy for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Field

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Vance. I'm gonna pull the trigger and order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.