5 Posts

Athens & Sparta» Forums » General

Subject: Why is this game not more popular? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Masters
United States
flag msg tools
I recently purchased this game, despite all the negative press, and I was thoroughly impressed with Athens and Sparta. I have no idea why this game received so much bad press. Granted, I have the latest edition of the rules, and I read quite a lot about those problems. But that was not an issue for me (in fact, the only question I had is if a unit had to stop after it crossed a straight, even if it wasn't attacking). And all that stuff about the game being unbalanced is ridiculous. Sparta can easily win the game. Conquest of Naxos is a priority, in order for them to reach the eastern side of the board. This game has so many options. I love the feel of the game. It's not at all a linear conquest. Your enemy can hit you where you least expect it.

So, as my subject stated, why is this game not more popular? This is easily a CG classic, up there with Quebec and Napoleon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because Hellenes: Campaigns of the Peloponnesian War me out about the same time, was better, and wasn't the same old Columbia Games system reworked for yet another game?

EDIT: And didn't require playtesting by the buyers of the game? Columbia really needs to get their act together...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rice
Scotland
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the theme and really like the look of the game, although I wonder if area movement might have been better than hexes. I was able to buy a copy cheaply but have yet to play it. Hellenes looked too complex for my tastes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Looby
United States
Wadhams
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own a copy- played a couple of scratch games- good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Masters
United States
flag msg tools
I really enjoy the CG system. I can't handle most of the complex stuff that GMT puts out (I draw the line with CG's Rommel in the Desert). I think area movement does generally work better, and gives a better feel. If they ever re-did this game i would hope they would incorporate area movement. I think it worked well with Shiloh and Borodino. Anyway, CG needs to jumpstart their advertising!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.