Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonahdel
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I saw this on Kickstarter when it came out, I was also really excited that it's a tabletop moba with amazing minis. I liked the artwork and idea enough to go all in.

And so I did.

However, after coming to BGG for more info, all I found was people posting info about how the creators are being "dirty dirtbags" and how their last KS project went to shit.
With all that drama going around, I decided that I did not want to risk my money.

And the all in, backed out.

Anyway, I'm STILL in the market for a good tabletop moba and was browsing Kickstarter this morning when I saw VoW, then saw the creator which looked familiar. After looking at their other project, tadah! It's the maker of this game!

So, enough of that. You guys got the game, a huge middle finger to the nay-sayers I guess. How is it? Did I make a mistake not going all in on this or is it a so-so game that I could've skipped?

Kindly avoid making comments about the creators and what they did to hide their history or their older projects because the undeniable fact is, they delivered the game, I'm just interested in hearing your opinion about the gameplay, components, and fun-factor of the game.

Cheers!

Xairen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You haven't heard of Rum and Bones??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonahdel
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
You haven't heard of Rum and Bones??

I have but I'm not into the theme so I skipped it.

For mobas, I prefer them to be either fantasy (DotA) or Sci-Fi (HotS).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Þráinn Gunnlaugur Þorsteinsson
Iceland
Hafnarfjörður
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played the original Print n Play version during the KS project and then the final game when it arrived in december. Me and my brother mostly play it together and we really enjoy it. It looks absolutely great, the gameplay is fun and we really like switching up the characters in our team each time we play because they feel different in gameplay and tactics and synergy amongst each other (f.example I used a skill last night on the Fallen Queen which gave upp her movement to add an additional die roll to my next heros attack, which was Goreth who was in the middle of laying waste to the opponents spawn point). Usually my brother is better at picking out the characters and skills that work together (he used Lord Pyreth's healing skill + he bought a healing item so Pyreth was a goddamned superhealer) but it was very fun to get my revenge.

EDIT: -- I forgot to mention that my brother and I were actually talking during yesterday's game about the improvements from the PnP to the final game. During the campaign they introduced tier-weapons (you could pay to upgrade your signature weapon 2 times, giving it increasing strength) and how awesome that was in giving you more of a customizable vibe and a feeling of increased strength for your heroes. --

We mostly play 1v1 by ourselves but have played one 2v2 player game but that game we called it quits after a while and announced the winner as the team which had destroyed more of the opponents objectives. (normally it's 3 opponents objectives destroyed = win).

That leads me to the only downside, and that is that we are still far away from the the estimated playing time even though the long games were still very enjoyable and exciting all the way through (but I still want to mention this because that might not appeal to some people). That may be due to us not having experience in MOBA/DOTA computer games and therefore lacking certain tactics but we talk hyped up after each game about what was a good strategy and so on.

All in all I like the game. If you are still interested in it then you should keep an eye out on the second print run the creators have mentioned on VoW and LOAD KS. There have been so many on the VOW campaign and also on BGG and Facebook that have expressed interest in the LOAD campaign that they are planning another campaign for it in Q2 2017 that will introduce more heroes for original backers and give new people a chance to jump on board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pragai Tamas

Budapest
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is great!

Pro:
-Really cool heroes, minis, design
-Simply (chess like) strategy game with (lucky) dice with MOBA feeling
-Clever box system
-Quickly to learn for new players

Con:
-Breakable hero component (ward, arm etc) if not careful
-Few token component. (gold, status not really enough)
-Box has got a bit close quarters and not enough to expansions)
-No official FAQ yet
(I missed the FAQ so much, but the publisher answer all my questions within 1 day.)
-Not 30-60 min game (nor the game time, nor the unloading + tidy away)

But its unique, enjoyable, variant game play (only with expansions)
(It's only need a "How to play" video to clear everything, or an official FAQ.)

I'm very satisfied with LOAD. 10/9
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daniels
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been following their new KS because, quite frankly, LoadBoardGame/Archon/Prodoss is a train wreck I can't look away from.

Having said that, they've stated that they are going to do another KS for Load (ReLOAD) later this year. So don't feel bad for missing, you can jump in later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc von Canal
United States
Palm Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the gameplay of LOAD very much! I enjoy the fast pace, the variety in skills and items and the simple rule set. It's a fun beer and pretzels board game with cool minis to boot. I don't understand where the hate for this game is coming from. I knew exactly the type of game I was backing and the that is what I got. The arrival of the epic expansions will greatly expand the gameplay options. I would love to see additional boards with varied battlefields.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
mbmb
Load is a much better game than whatever game they claim it copied.. it plays more tactical and surely puts you to a challenge.

So no mistake and an awesome buy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drakkonblade wrote:
Load is a much better game than whatever game they claim it copied.. it plays more tactical and surely puts you to a challenge.

Not a 'claim', the originally released rules WERE plagiarized. Even Jarek and crew admitted to it.

Have you played Rum and Bones, or is your assessment LOAD 'plays more tactical and surely puts you to a challenge' based just on the fact you like LOAD?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Zelasco
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jakecarol wrote:
drakkonblade wrote:

Not a 'claim', the originally released rules WERE plagiarized. Even Jarek and crew admitted to it.

Have you played Rum and Bones, or is your assessment LOAD 'plays more tactical and surely puts you to a challenge' based just on the fact you like LOAD?

He already knows all about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
mbmb
jakecarol wrote:
drakkonblade wrote:

Yes i played both and heard of all the tales.. in the end what counts is our (customer) opinion which i think its a great game which they DELIVERED.

Hence they have my money on any future endeavors..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drakkonblade wrote:
in the end what counts is our (customer) opinion which i think its a great game which they DELIVERED.

Hence they have my money on any future endeavors..

Well, the AvP customer opinions count as well.

You're willing to give more money to cheats and liars. I'm not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn barnes
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Yes i played both and heard of all the tales.. in the end what counts is our (customer) opinion which i think its a great game which they DELIVERED.

Hence they have my money on any future endeavors

You need to do some research on marketing. New customers are much more difficult to come by and worth a lot revenue wise. So sadly, your opinion isn't the only one that matters. Their untapped customer base is a considerably larger market share and unless they tap new customers they'll ultimately fail in the long run like any business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Saricov
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Xairen wrote:
So I saw this on Kickstarter when it came out, I was also really excited that it's a tabletop moba with amazing minis. I liked the artwork and idea enough to go all in.

And so I did.

However, after coming to BGG for more info, all I found was people posting info about how the creators are being "dirty dirtbags" and how their last KS project went to shit.
With all that drama going around, I decided that I did not want to risk my money.

And the all in, backed out.

Anyway, I'm STILL in the market for a good tabletop moba and was browsing Kickstarter this morning when I saw VoW, then saw the creator which looked familiar. After looking at their other project, tadah! It's the maker of this game!

So, enough of that. You guys got the game, a huge middle finger to the nay-sayers I guess. How is it? Did I make a mistake not going all in on this or is it a so-so game that I could've skipped?

Kindly avoid making comments about the creators and what they did to hide their history or their older projects because the undeniable fact is, they delivered the game, I'm just interested in hearing your opinion about the gameplay, components, and fun-factor of the game.

Cheers!

Xairen

It's decent, diffrent from rum and bones (i'm a bit more in favor of this, from a tactical perspective)

I think you did a mistake, and if you are into quality miniatures, I would say you made a big mistake :-P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shauni55 wrote:
Quote:

Hence they have my money on any future endeavors

You need to do some research on marketing. New customers are much more difficult to come by and worth a lot revenue wise. So sadly, your opinion isn't the only one that matters. Their untapped customer base is a considerably larger market share and unless they tap new customers they'll ultimately fail in the long run like any business.

Um... ish? Your current customers are "low hanging fruit" and other customers are for "crossover hits." Wyrd is a pretty good example- their core audience is into Malifaux, but they're releasing things like Jetpack Unicorn hoping to bring in new blood.

The trick is always to bring in more new people while not alienating your core audience.

If you never get anyone new in, your company will die a slow death over the coarse of many years (possibly decades).

But if you alienate your core audience enough, you can bankrupt TSR in a year. Or at least open up a market that you once had cornered (4th ed D&D).

The thing is, with a niche market like ours, word of mouth is more powerful than most avenues. If the current customers are satisfied with LOAD, then that means something good for Prodos. If the customers are still hating on them for their screw ups, then that's bad for Prodos.

But remember that having a super satisfied customer base was how the second KDM kickstarter hit 12 million (we KDM players get a little cult like in our devotion, and people notice).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
I really like this game and i'm really happy i backed out and in enough to stay.
That said, the game ia really cool from tactical perspective and it's one of my favorite games, to the point i'd designed some fan heroes hopefully they use in reLOAD.
Components wise the game has A M A Z I N G minis. The character cards are from thick cardboard which makes them great, but item cards are too thin (they are fixing this in reLOAD). Tokens are fine, and i think the number of them is enough, i havent ran out of tokens in a game so...
Gameplay is fine, but i play with house rules to alternate player and heroes activations to make it even more tactical. Each hero is very different from each other, which make combos and strategies very different each game.

So, i would say yes, you made a mistake backing out, but you can fix it with reLOAD. I wish someone near where i live back it too so we can have battles between experienced players tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonahdel
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaaaaand a local copy popped up for $80.
KS Edition, Stretch goals, exclusives and all the works still in their own shrinks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.