GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,451 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Small World: Royal Bonus» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Royal Bonus Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmbmb
Royal Bonus is a really weird name for this expansion. I have no idea where it comes from.

It comes with 3 new races and 3 new abilities.

Fauns 7-9 Tokens
-Get a new token when you conquer an active race. The defeated foe also gets a new token.

Theme-wise Not sure if this fits Fauns really?

Game-wise If you can do a lot of conquering then these guys can become pretty powerful. With 2 players they may have less options for conquering. In a 5 player game opponents will try and remove them quickly.

Igors 6-10 Tokens
Can combine defeated foes into new race tokens

Theme-wise- Spot on.

Game-wise. It is good that the ability scales depending on player number as in a 5 player game there will be a lot more defeated foes. If other players are being too barbaric than the Igor player can suddenly have a huge force.

Shrubmen 8-11 Tokens
When in forests are invincible.

Theme-wise- Makes sense.

Game-wise- Pretty well balanced. They get a lot of tokens but are only effective in forests anyway.

Combo wise- Playing Forest Shrubmen is kind of fun. Playing Hill Shrubmen is pretty silly.

Aquatic 3 Tokens
Extra coin if next to water. Minus coin if away from Water

Theme-wise- Makes sense

Game-wise- I think this is a bit weak because you have so few tokens plus you are limited in where you can go. Losing coins if away from water is pretty tough. Most races will have about 8 tokens all up so will likely conquer 3-4 regions and get an additional 3-4 gold per turn.

Behemoth
I have read and re read and re read these rules a dozen times and I still don't get how this works. This is the only race/ability I think is too complicated.

Fireball- 5 Tokens
Gain Fireballs using magic and shoot them at your foes

Theme-wise Excellent.

Game-wise If you can get a couple of magic sources firmly under control this can be pretty strong. The problem is by the time you really get it going you are usually considering going into decline. This ability needs a race that has some staying power.

Overall Expansion

The artwork for the races and the Fireballs is great. The aquatic tile is a bit dull but it tells you what you need to know. The Behemoths just look really bad to me. I feel they miss the mark completely.

I think all three races are reasonably balanced. Aquatic is not that much use unless you are Tritons. Fireball is great when it works but can do absolutely nothing as well.

If you like Small World I would recommend this expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the name comes from the fact it was a "bonus" from a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds in order to put "Small World 2" on iPad. I can't remember for sure, but I suspect the backer level necessary to receive this expansion for the physical game might have been named "Royal," making this a "bonus" for backing at the "Royal" level - hence "'Royal Bonus' expansion."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Vladvonbounce wrote:
Aquatic 3 Tokens
Extra coin if next to water. Minus coin if away from Water

Theme-wise- Makes sense

Game-wise- I think this is a bit weak because you have so few tokens plus you are limited in where you can go. Losing coins if away from water is pretty tough. Most races will have about 8 tokens all up so will likely conquer 3-4 regions and get an additional 3-4 gold per turn.

Aquatic is often better than Merchant. You get one more token than Merchant, and there are loads of regions next to water, and thus get double points for all regions. Only problem is that you are a bit limited in which regions you can take. Regions not next to water doesn't lose you coins, as the -1 coin will simply negate the +1 you get for the region, so it's often worth leaving those regions during redeployment to strengthen your other regions.

Quote:

Behemoth
I have read and re read and re read these rules a dozen times and I still don't get how this works. This is the only race/ability I think is too complicated.

It's not that complicated. Instead of having stacks of counters, think of it this way: You get two Behemoth creatures, that each has a strength equal to the number of swamps. Those two creatures can never be in the same square. That's it, and that's that. Now just let the number of counters be equal to the strength of the behemoth creature.

They work great IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woods
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
l-hansen wrote:

Regions not next to water doesn't lose you coins, as the -1 coin will simply negate the +1 you get for the region, so it's often worth leaving those regions during redeployment to strengthen your other regions.

I'm not sure this is what you meant, but it's worth clarifying that you can't leave regions during redeployment, you can only abandon regions at the start of your turn. But yes, if you're aquatic you should abandon the regions that are netting you 0 coins, at the start of your next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.