Richard Davis
United Kingdom
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After getting into the hobby last year i have started to build my collection and now regularly get a couple of new games every month. I don’t see this as an issue as not only do I get enjoyment out of playing the games but also from expanding my collection, however my wife sees things differently

Does anyone have any tips or tricks they use to hide new additions to their collections that they have used to bypass disapproving partners? ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jedi mind trick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, you have to take all possible precautions to make sure your wife will never ever read this post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WHAT, THIS GAME? I'VE ALWAYS HAD THIS GAME.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DIVORCE is the answer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandra Kuhl
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I justify buying new games by mostly getting them while they're discounted at my LFGS, or KS (with extras and whatnot).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Convince her you need to get an extension on the house; it's a good way to extend you living space and should add some value to the property - maybe for the future, or maybe to ensure you can move into somewhere bigger in the medium term.

Once agreed you will obviously need to sort either an extension on the mortgage or get a personal loan (depending on the expected cost, you may even be able to pull some from savings if you have some available). Assuming finance is arranged you can get in touch with a few architects and builders for initial quotes and to get an idea of the type of extension you want - rooms, layouts, etc. This may take a few months.

Now it's financed and architecturally drawn up you need to schedule in the demolition and construction; this is your window. There will be lots of deliveries of construction material, building components etc, so the odd extra delivery should fly under the radar. Direct purchasing of materials from your credit card (especially if you can make a lot of orders on one day) should help mask a few smaller purchases, but choose carefully or you could be undone - spending £80 at shop4 or Amazon may not rouse suspicion, but the same £80 at chaoscards or gameslore in the middle of the credit card statement may scupper all your plans.

You will need an interim storage location - with the bulding materials would work but there is a risk of them going missing or getting damaged, it's really a judgement call. From there its just a case of slowly adding them into the collection at intervals so it doesn't grow too quickly. Maybe hiding them at the back.

Main advantages of this method:
thumbsup Allows significant board game purchases
thumbsup Good size window of opportunity
thumbsup You get an extension

Main disadvantages:
thumbsdown You may not want an extension
thumbsdown Significant upfront investment and potentially crippling additional debt
thumbsdown You may still get caught

Let us know how you get on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jokes aside, as soon as my collection grew big enough, my wife (soon to be ex anyway) didn't really notice any new addition, as long as I brought it home without being noticed lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Another such thread?

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Relationship counselling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another good way to deal with it is to keep track of how many shoes/bags/clothes your wife has and use that knowledge to defend your board game shopping addiction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Hocks
Netherlands
Simpelveld
Limburg
flag msg tools
Drugo81 wrote:
Another good way to deal with it is to keep track of how many shoes/bags/clothes your wife has and use that knowledge to defend your board game shopping addiction.

Or go shopping with your wife, an after she has bought multiple bags of shoes and clothes you hop into your FLGS. I mean, what harm can 1 game do to your wallet after all those clothes. She will probably make you buy a game just for herself to feel better about her spending frenzy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Novais wrote:
Drugo81 wrote:

Or go shopping with your wife, an after she has bought multiple bags of shoes and clothes you hop into your FLGS. I mean, what harm can 1 game do to your wallet after all those clothes. She will probably make you buy a game just for herself to feel better about her spending frenzy!

Actually had this happen to me. Took my girlfriend on a pre-Christmas shopping spree, and she felt so guilty buying so much for herself, she insisted on us buying a new game.

I decided to buy two. Because... I don't know why. Still haven't played one of them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
Have your board games sent and delivered to your desk at work ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DonRaccoon
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thankfully I don't have to smuggle games in.

My wife has enough stuff of her own in the house, she can't really complain at me buying things.

So it's barely a raised eyebrow when a pile of boxes arrive from a Kickstarter or I come home with a new box under my arm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

In fact, I sometimes have to try and stop my fiancée from buying games!

I worry about people that have to 'smuggle' games past their partners. Surely being honest and open with your partner is much healthier for the relationship?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Supermoosh wrote:
After getting into the hobby last year i have started to build my collection and now regularly get a couple of new games every month. I don’t see this as an issue as not only do I get enjoyment out of playing the games but also from expanding my collection, however my wife sees things differently

Does anyone have any tips or tricks they use to hide new additions to their collections that they have used to bypass disapproving partners? ninja

My wife always think we have enough games, and I always think we have room for more. Funnily enough, I think she doesn't care so much about the cost (I buy games on my own money anyway), but she thinks we have too much stuff in general, and she's worried that I'll try to make her play all the new games all the time (can't say that's completely unfounded), because while she likes playing games, she really hates learning new rules.

On a more serious note though (not sure how serious your post was, but I still want to say this), you really need to not hide your purchases from her. Either you're paying for the games with your collective money, in which case she deserves to know, just like you deserve to know what she spends that money on. Or you have your own money that you can spend on anything you like (just as she does, I hope?), and then frankly, it's none of her business what you spend it on (well, ethics, morals, legal issues aside of course), just like it's none of your business what she does with her money. But that does not mean you should hide those purchases from each other. It just means that you both need to learn to accept that your partner will spend that money on whatever they like.

If this doesn't feel like where your relation is at, trust me, it's worth working on it to get it there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy wa too many games and my wife even buys me some new games or expansions now and then. Even those she doesn't care to play.

I guess I'm blessed by the gods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
The other games don't mind.

And on the other hand, the games like getting expansions.

(Edit: Tip - Log your plays. Helps you see how much you get from each game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jobby wrote:
I worry about people that have to 'smuggle' games past their partners. Surely being honest and open with your partner is much healthier for the relationship?

I do it. Well, I hide games until some vaguely defined day when I can reveal them. It's less that my girlfriend disapproves (she doesn't, and is the first to say I can buy what I want) and more that I'm ashamed that I bought more things. Always been ashamed of liking what I like, even as those likes have changed over the years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hankins
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jobby wrote:

In fact, I sometimes have to try and stop my fiancée from buying games!

Same here.

At present, we both just buy the games that we like with our own money. I probably spend more on games than her in total, but it's my own money so I can throw it at whatever I want (and she's not likely to mind as she gets to play them too).

If we ever got organised to the extent that we had a shared pool of money set aside for board games and such, then there's no way I'd be dishonest about spending that money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timmi T.
Germany
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
celdom wrote:
Always been ashamed of liking what I like, even as those likes have changed over the years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This can be temptation, but it's worth having a conversation about why she disapproves. Is it money? Space? Is she worried about you spending less time with her and more time with your games? Is she worried that you will want her to play all these new games? If you know the root problem you can come to some reasonable compromise. With my wife, it was two things: space and she worried I would ask her to play the new games. I agreed to accept the fact that she doesn't like to play knew games, and we compromised on a the closets for my collection. Now, when I get something new, I need to make space for it by getting rid of something or condensing games with their expansions. Still have space for maybe two or three more, but it is actually helping me be a more careful consumer and, to be honest, there are many games in my collection that could go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Durst
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well as long as you don't harp on her shoe/jewelry/random whatsit collection I don't see why she should complain about your chosen hobby. That is assuming you are paying all your bills on time, kids are fed and clothed, etc of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife doesn't approve of me spending money constantly to get games, but on holidays, birthdays, etc. she will be pretty good to me and get me a lot of games that I want. This christmas I probably got over a dozen games from her. I can usually get what I want, but I have to be patient. I managed to get around this once by selling off my own magic the gathering cards and using that money to buy board games (I put a lot of money into magic before we were together for a good 15 years). I went to town and as the boxes came in I still kind of felt the need to smuggle them into my game closet. She approved of me spending that money on the games, but I still didn't announce every time a new box came in. I don't think she realized how much my magic card collection was worth, and how many board games that was going to buy. In the end she still saw the full closet, and even commented that I snuck them in like a ninja. Now that I have a larger collection kicked up from that, I'm back to the waiting game. I'm getting around it slightly by trading off games that I don't like all that much for new games that I want to try. It seems like using my own things that I already own to trade or sell is the only way I can get new games outside of my wife actually buying them for me.

On the flip side of this I'm grateful because I have a wife that is very conscious of money. I hear about a lot of guys who have wives that constantly blow all of their money on things. There's a guy at my work that got divorced recently, and his wife would spend $2,000 a month on clothes. My wife doesn't buy anything ever. When she does it's only when things are on sale, and she'll come home with a bag full of things and ask me how much I think she spent. Often times it will be $100 dollars worth of stuff that she got for like 10 dollars. I don't know what kind of mystical voodoo she pulls to get these deals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.