Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
DonRaccoon
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I introduced Colt Express to 2 new players on Monday and despite not winning, I thoroughly enjoyed the game.

Even during, I didn't care that I was doing poorly at times and never had a real chance of first place. And thinking back, every play of this game has been the same for me.

Now I enjoy playing good games and still enjoy them even if I don't win, but for most games I'm actively trying for first place and even if that's not an option, I try do the best I can. If I'm not doing well, I get annoyed, but that doesn't stop me enjoying the overall experience of the game play.

But for Colt Express, I've found it to be an enjoyable enough game that I don't mind doing badly. Do you guys have any games you enjoy so much you don't care if you win or lose, or even do well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
that was a deathstroke for this conversation

mb

but I agree. I'm mostly in it for the game, winning is fun but if I've got a good feeling about my game it isn't really important.
I've never left gamenight grumpy because I lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrJork wrote:
that was a deathstroke for this conversation

I see what you did there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a win percentage that sits just above 30%. Although I do try hard to win, if losing bothered me then I'd probably never play anything!

It's actually rare for me to get annoyed when I'm not doing well. A couple of memorable occasions do spring to mind, though:
1. When playing Ticket to Ride, I started with two routes right across America (a bit silly, but still). No matter where I laid trains people blocked me. I started to get irritated but after a bit saw the funny side. I finished the game with 2 points!

2. I find Catan can be a very irksome game, though. Normally two players seem to do well. If you're not one of those two then the game can drag as you are constantly behind on resources.

Still, I play to win but enjoy myself regardless!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always care whether I win, but for any game worth playing I still want to play the game, and will still enjoy the game regardless of whether I win. The only games where I've truly not cared if I win have been games I've really disliked. In one case I had fun not winning a game I disliked - in We Didn't Playtest This At All I couldn't win so I took out as many people as possible with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any game where scoring is effected by many variables and is hidden to the end. I apparently don't mind losing, but am more bothered when I see my devastating loss taunting me the entire game.

So, for example: Concordia is always welcome at my table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't mind losing, as long as I enjoyed playing it and were aiming for winning.

I hate losing whenever the winning player has to rub it in everybody's faces and be like "HAHA, EAT THAT!" etc. But that's mostly the person I hate, not really the losing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
Any game where scoring is effected by many variables and is hidden to the end. I apparently don't mind losing, but am more bothered when I see my devastating loss taunting me the entire game.

This. I don't like player elimination, especially in longer games, and games that have open scoring and runaway leaders result in de facto player elimination. One culprit that comes to mind is Village (even though I think the gameplay is interesting, it's not fun enough to keep me engaged when I know I'm out of the game). Some games are fun enough that I don't care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DonRaccoon
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:

I like games with hidden scoring, but mostly because is stops some players pointing out who is leading in an attempt to get others to target them, thus clearing their way to push ahead.

I'm of the opinion that it's up to each player to keep an eye on the state of play and not for anybody to broadcast who is doing well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Russian Roulette
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bermondsey Battler
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Great War, Memoir, and CC Ancients with my son. If I am losing, and i usually am, i try different strategies or look for a Hail Mary type attack. Its fun no matter what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bermondsey Battler
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DarthMonkey wrote:
cafin8d wrote:

I like games with hidden scoring, but mostly because is stops some players pointing out who is leading in an attempt to get others to target them, thus clearing their way to push ahead.

I'm of the opinion that it's up to each player to keep an eye on the state of play and not for anybody to broadcast who is doing well.

You would hate gaming with my stepson, probably almost as much as i do.

He has to blather on, broadcast his cards, try to get other people to target each other, etc. Regardless of how many times hes been corrected, he just cant grasp it. I am ashamed to say i shy away from gaming with him for that reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DonRaccoon
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
battler44 wrote:

He has to blather on, broadcast his cards, try to get other people to target each other, etc. Regardless of how many times hes been corrected, he just cant grasp it. I am ashamed to say i shy away from gaming with him for that reason.

Ouch. Yes, I can safely say I would not enjoy that experience a whole lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathstroke wrote:
All of them.

I don't enjoy all games, but I also don't ever care if I win. I mean, I'd like to win, but it ain't no big deal if I don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
All of them.

This..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If you do not like the game, why would it be more important to win? I am just sitting there thinking I want it to be over, so God, please let someone win!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think that this is an important part of a game. If I can enjoy a game only if I'm winning, the game is bad because you are then only playing it solo as the other players (or yourself) won't play that game again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Schmid
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
battler44 wrote:
DarthMonkey wrote:
cafin8d wrote:

Sounds terrible. We had a quite similar girl in our gaming group - no card could be played without a comment...

I think my gaming experience changed and developed over the years. First, I played mostly to win and was quite disappointed when I lost. Now it's much more important to have a good time with the people I like. Now, winning is a nice bonus. If its not a party game or really a "take that"- game, I'm interested in optimizing my own game play after several plays and when I realy understood, what combos are powerful etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As "cheesy" as this may sound, I enjoy playing board games regardless of outcome.

I think it's because of my time playing Magic: The Gathering and it was ALWAYS about winning that I had had my fill. Now? eh, if I win a board game great, if not, I still had a lot more fun playing it than any MTG game I played save one time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What games do you enjoy so much you don't care if you win?

Consider this microbadge: mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nyleara .
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Builder and Sea of Clouds

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Rob
United States
Belpre
Ohio
flag msg tools
Games need more Orange!
badge
I'm bigger than you, no, really, I probably am...
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathstroke wrote:
All of them.

Pretty much... my enjoyment of games is not predicated on me winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's not talk crazy.

Pete (always cares if he wins)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin "Coop" Cooper
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
Just Coop.
badge
What?
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Let's not talk crazy.

Pete (always cares if he wins)

I care if I win, but my enjoyment of a game is not significantly affected by whether I win or lose. I know some people where it seems to be a big part of their impression of a game and I don't particularly like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.