8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games similar to a few acres of snow? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi, My wife and I really enjoyed a few acres of snow, played it lots of times. It's got me thinking, are there any other games out which are similar? thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hands in the Sea is what you are after. Fantastic game based off of "A Few Acres"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Superscheriff
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythotopia and A Handful of Stars are all part of the Few Acres Of Snow Trilogy from Marin Wallace. The latter is up for preorders via treefroggames.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stevieram wrote:
Hi, My wife and I really enjoyed a few acres of snow, played it lots of times. It's got me thinking, are there any other games out which are similar? thanks

What about it did you love? AFAOS and Brass were a massively formative part of my interests early on. You might like all sorts of my highest rated games, but was there a specific part of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Superscheriff wrote:
Mythotopia and A Handful of Stars are all part of the Few Acres Of Snow Trilogy from Marin Wallace.

+ 1 for Mythotopia, though I've only played it with 3-4 players. I don't think it would work as well with 2.

If what you like about AFAoS is the deck-building applied to meaningful board play, I strongly recommend Trains and/or Trains: Rising Sun, the latter having a couple of boards designed to accommodate 2-players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deckbuilding + board?

Clank! is a simple Ascension plus a cartoony fantasy setting, catching prizes for VPs - and a dragon eating life wooden cubes! :D Fun, simple, catchy. Not the greatest thematic in the world nor a brainy combo card game, but good enough.

Check also Tyrants of the Underdark, a nice D&D game (graphically, it looses against Clank but has a "more creative" mechanic).

Or you mean, the historical clash depicted in Few Acres of Snow?

Then search no more - Wilderness War is what you need. It's one of the finest strategic wargames on the period, card driven, excellent (and simple - for a wargame) ruleset full of chrome and quality components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It isn't just the deck building we enjoy, I think it's the conflict, different abilities and the theme we enjoy also. thanks for the recommendations so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get a core set of Android: Netrunner pretty cheap. It's asymmetric, has interesting card interactions, and you don't need to buy expansions/datapacks; plenty of fun right out of the box. Read William Gibson's Neuromancer to help get into the theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.