Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Perrin Stewart
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed Switching Gears and started playing it solo in order to get the Time Stories game mechanics down before playing Asylum with my friends, and a few general questions occurred to me:

1. If one of your characters has a resource (say, gold in this scenario), does that character have to be the one on the space spending the gold, or are resources considered "shared" and can be spent or "traded" by anyone at the location. I'm leaning toward "the character with the resource has to be on the same space as the card and the player controlling that character is the one that spends the resource" since that is more thematic, but just want to make sure because I didn't see that in the rule book.

2. Can you complete card tasks more than once? In the forest you can pluck herbs which give you two resource tokens, and can be used to heal. If I spend another TU in this location, can my character stay on this card and pluck another two resources? Or if we leave this location and come back later in the same run, can I pluck it again? Again, I'm leaning toward "no" for obvious reasons, but I was curious as to how this would be handled in other Time Stories decks as well. I don't see any rules that say I can't just keep getting free resources over and over (I don't think).

Thanks! Been having fun with your deck so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Pearce
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phunkysai wrote:
I printed Switching Gears and started playing it solo in order to get the Time Stories game mechanics down before playing Asylum with my friends, and a few general questions occurred to me:

1. If one of your characters has a resource (say, gold in this scenario), does that character have to be the one on the space spending the gold, or are resources considered "shared" and can be spent or "traded" by anyone at the location. I'm leaning toward "the character with the resource has to be on the same space as the card and the player controlling that character is the one that spends the resource" since that is more thematic, but just want to make sure because I didn't see that in the rule book.

2. Can you complete card tasks more than once? In the forest you can pluck herbs which give you two resource tokens, and can be used to heal. If I spend another TU in this location, can my character stay on this card and pluck another two resources? Or if we leave this location and come back later in the same run, can I pluck it again? Again, I'm leaning toward "no" for obvious reasons, but I was curious as to how this would be handled in other Time Stories decks as well. I don't see any rules that say I can't just keep getting free resources over and over (I don't think).

Thanks! Been having fun with your deck so far!

Yes, there are a lot of little thematic questions that come up--not just in this scenario. If there aren't specific instructions (either in the scenario or the official rule book), then it is best to go with what works best thematically. Since this is a fan scenario, you can play it however you see fit.

However, to answer your questions:

1. Resources and ITEMS belong to the character (unless otherwise noted). If a character wants to buy something he should be the one on the space and be the one with the money. Characters can trade with each other if they are on the same space, or during location changes. (This is from the official rules.)

2. In the official rule book, once you beat an opponent you remove that opponent (card) from the game for the rest of the run. Most other challenges you can only complete once per run. I'm sorry, I should have put a note on the particular card in question that herbs can only be gathered once (per run). Bob would be really mad if he knew you spent all day just standing there picking flowers. It also makes sense thematically that once you pick something, it's gone.

Good luck, and thanks for trying it out.
Sorry for any confusion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hainz
Germany
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

1. Resources and ITEMS belong to the character (unless otherwise noted).

2. In the official rule book, once you beat an opponent you remove that opponent (card) from the game for the rest of the run. Most other challenges you can only complete once per run. I'm sorry, I should have put a note on the particular card in question that herbs can only be gathered once (per run).

Sorry for any confusion...

1. With more experience, you will see that in other scenarios, shared items are explicitly noted as such. A good idea is to use a codex field for these resources.

2. There are some cases where I use a yellow agency logo. The corresponding spaces can be explored only once. I find that labeling very useful. Even better here, you can add instructions on the card to make sure the resource is gone (like in PoD).

@Steph: You apologize too often, haha... laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perrin Stewart
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for these answers...

So just to follow up, in the official decks, are there any Spaces like the herb tree (which give free resources with or without using TU) where it is up to interpretation as to whether you can get the free resource over and over, or do they spell it out pretty well on all the cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hainz
Germany
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LeGon wrote:
you can add instructions on the card to make sure the resource is gone (like in PoD).

Seems that there are detailed instructions, huh? Read carefully... always...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perrin Stewart
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry thought you were talking to Stephanie on that one (YOU can put instructions on the card)...thanks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.