Marina Freeman
msg tools
I need a list of every deck location and what kinds of cards are emphasized in that deck, for instance which location boosts cunning, which location has the most books, etc. Anyone know where I can find that? Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marina1101 wrote:
I need a list of every deck location and what kinds of cards are emphasized in that deck, for instance which location boosts cunning, which location has the most books, etc. Anyone know where I can find that? Thank you

A good summary can be found here:

ATOE Map Reference - V1 & V2

it doesn's list individual cards, but describes the tendencies of each location (in terms of which types of cards are most common).

i'm not aware of an precise card list, and wouldn't read it if there was one because...

FWIW, i find the game more engaging if the player doesn't know precisely what's in the decks. i've played 8 or 10 sessions so far and have never read any of the cards except those which i have drawn during play. Thus there are many cards i haven't yet seen, and that drastically increases my engagement with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There actually is a full card list on Flying Frog's own wiki site:

http://flyingfrogwiki.com/ffpwiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Up to you whether you want the spoilers or not.

The general descriptions, like this:

Quote:
The Manor - Focuses on Spirit, Secrets, and Books.
Windmill - Focuses on Cunning,Combined Tests, and Items.
Olde Woods - Focuses on Spirit, Combat, and Magik.
Abandoned Keep - Focuses on Cunning, Honor, and Dangers

...are only available in the rules themselves. I'm not aware of anyone who has consolidated them from the two expansions into single resource. Might be nice to have though, and easy to make. I just lifted the above quote from the .pdf rules on FFP's site.

I'm not sure how accurate it really is though. For example, the Windmill supposedly "Focuses on Cunning", but I just browsed through the cards, and there are literally only 2 cards (out of 30) that boost Cunning. There are also several encounters that require Cunning tests. So, do you go there to boost Cunning, or do you go there because you already have a good Cunning?

There are quite a few items in the Windmill, so that part of the description is correct. To me, the main reason to go the Windmill is to take a shot at getting one of the two explosive items. But realistically, the other Corner Locations have almost as many items.

On the other hand, the Abandoned Keep also "Focuses on Cunning, Honor, and Dangers". That deck has 4 of 30 cards that boost Cunning, and 3 of 30 that boost Honor. Also 3 that boost Combat, although that isn't mentioned in the description. (And to be clear, one of the boosts is a single item that boosts all three things.)

I've previously thought about making my own summary of what each Location is good for, bad for, and dangerous for. It needs to be more specific than what the rules give you. I started the project a couple years ago, but never finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina Freeman
msg tools
Thank you, this is exactly what I wanted. I saw those before but did not notice it had what I wanted at the bottom of each map. I agree with you, I would not want to know exactly what was in each deck but just general helps you know where to go to look for certain things. Thanks, again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina Freeman
msg tools
Thanks for your reply. I just wanted the general idea of where to look for certain kinds of items. The first reply told me where to get it. I wouldn't want to spoil the fun by knowing exactly what is in each deck. Thanks, again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marina1101 wrote:
did not notice it had what I wanted at the bottom of each map.

Yeah, I didn't notice that either. Pretty useful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my A Touch of Evil: Rules Summary and Charts, v 1.6 (no background):

Location Themes

Abandoned Keep: Cunning, Honour, Danger.

Forgotten Island: Curses, Extreme Danger, Powerful Items.

Inn: Cunning, Allies, Unique Rooms.

Lighthouse: Cunning, Spirit, the Kraken.

Manor: Spirit, Secrets, Books.

Monastery: Spirit, Health, Order of the Crimson Hand.

Olde Woods: Spirit, Combat, Magic.

Shipwreck: Honour, Powerful Items, Descendants of the Deep.

Smuggler’s Cove: Spirit, Health, Danger.

Windmill: Cunning, Combined Tests, Items
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.