Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: What games should I avoid? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: OP_Deleted [+] [View All]
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
About 80% of Euros are dry, multi-player solitaire. So you're going to need to give us some more criteria, or do your own research...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Your question is very subjective and open ended. So much so, it's nearly impossible to answer.

My advice is to look at the thematic ratings list. Effectively, it shows you the top rated games in the BGG database with the non-thematic games weeded out:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thematic/browse/boardgame?sort...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

When you hear about a game that sounds interesting, do your research before buying. Always. The handful of games that you might get told to avoid in this snapshot-thread won't cover much of those you might wind up looking at, especially as new games are always coming out.

~V
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how Splendor is multiplayer solitaire when you can impact other players by taking chips they need or cards they are close to fulfilling.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson K
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Russian Roulette, playing chicken with a train, the milk chugging game, the game of thrones(you win or you die). Come on guys it's not that hard.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Chhay
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
did I buy this?
badge
Nodoka Miyazaki ~ Negima!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tysonk28 wrote:
Russian Roulette, playing chicken with a train, the milk chugging game, the game of thrones(you win or you die). Come on guys it's not that hard.


I deleted my original question, as apparently it was not a very good question.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
(fill in whatever iteration of) Monopoly
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shinako wrote:
Tysonk28 wrote:
Russian Roulette, playing chicken with a train, the milk chugging game, the game of thrones(you win or you die). Come on guys it's not that hard.


I deleted my original question, as apparently it was not a very good question.


You should not delete any posts that have responses. It leaves the thread confusing to read.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
texascpa wrote:
Not sure how Splendor is multiplayer solitaire when you can impact other players by taking chips they need or cards they are close to fulfilling.

That is still NO interaction, as you could not have prevented it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver MacFarlane
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anijunk wrote:
texascpa wrote:
Not sure how Splendor is multiplayer solitaire when you can impact other players by taking chips they need or cards they are close to fulfilling.

That is still NO interaction, as you could not have prevented it.


You could have looked ahead on your previous turn to see what the other players could have taken?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Chhay
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
did I buy this?
badge
Nodoka Miyazaki ~ Negima!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
macfaro wrote:
anijunk wrote:
texascpa wrote:
Not sure how Splendor is multiplayer solitaire when you can impact other players by taking chips they need or cards they are close to fulfilling.

That is still NO interaction, as you could not have prevented it.


You could have looked ahead on your previous turn to see what the other players could have taken?


I deleted my original question because I didn't want the conversation devolving into this type of discussion.

There has already been plenty of discussion at this point, and in the end it comes down to this: Splendor/Dominion has a low amount of direct player interaction, and the game design can easily become non-interactive if the players are not tracking and blocking each other.

So while multi-player solitaire is a misnomer, the type of gameplay I have described above is something that I do not like, and people have cited as a potential player-based weakness of Dominion and Splendor. (An analogy is the alpha gamer problem in co-ops.)

When combined with their dry themes, I find those games very boring, and my original post was asking for similar games to avoid.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably harder to list "games to avoid" than to give some impressions about specific games or make recommendations that you might like. There are a lot of games out there with limited direct interaction because quite a few people prefer that style of gameplay...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shinako wrote:
When combined with their dry themes, I find those games very boring, and my original post was asking for similar games to avoid.

Is the opposite of a "dry" theme a "wet" theme - being otherwise because I find that kind of labelling fairly absurd ... I imagine "dry" themes can be enjoyed much as some folks appreciate "dry" wines vs. "sweet" wines.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest that you not avoid playing any kind of games. Different games, even with game mechanisms you don't like, can be better than one you have played and didn't enjoy.

A friend of mine disliked most of the "timed games" I have bought. He hated Space Alert, didn't care for Zombie 15', and was unimpressed by XCOM: The Board Game. After 3 games, I figured he didn't like timed games and really disliked "programming actions". The funny thing is he really liked London Dread. He explained it as the game felt really different, less chaotic.

Similarly, I dislikedAndroid: Netrunner, disliked A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition), and disliked Magic: The Gathering, but I ended up liking Arkham Horror: The Card Game, despite it being a LCG/ CCG.

Sure, don't buy games that you think you don't like, but give them a try if you get a shot. you never know what you might end up liking about it, and worst case, you might be able to better articulate what you dislike about the genre.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
Shinako wrote:
When combined with their dry themes, I find those games very boring, and my original post was asking for similar games to avoid.

Is the opposite of a "dry" theme a "wet" theme - being otherwise because I find that kind of labelling fairly absurd ... I imagine "dry" themes can be enjoyed much as some folks appreciate "dry" wines vs. "sweet" wines.


Sure why not. I order my gin martinis wet (many order them dry).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what your original criteria were, but if you're looking for highly interactive euros then this geeklist might help: Euros with Teeth
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Veero wrote:

When you hear about a game that sounds interesting, do your research before buying. Always. The handful of games that you might get told to avoid in this snapshot-thread won't cover much of those you might wind up looking at, especially as new games are always coming out.

~V

And don't believe all of the hype. Just because a game is very popular, even over time, doesn't mean that you will like it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.