GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,153 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Alex Simard
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Dragons Nocturnes
badge
Jungle Jim
mbmbmbmbmb
There are probably some other posts about the new interface. Here is my experience.

I have been a regular user of BGG since a long time (patron from 2004 to 2015). My use of the site a gone down in part because of the new interface. My insatisfaction is not about looks or how information is organized. My insatisfaction is about loading times and ressource consumption. I don't know what code is used, but my computer slows down as soon as I look at a games page, and the cooling fan on my graphics card winds up (seriously true). My computer might be getting old, but no other website does this. Loading times are too long (again, no other site does that). It is really something about the new interface, because the rest of the site is working great and fast.

Thanks again for this wonderful site on wich I spent a lot of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The loading times are a real problem. My understanding is that the redesign is on pause until they can recreate the code in a new programming environment? Hopefully one that is faster than the current implementation. But I might be wrong about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My love/hate relationship with the new look continues to be a mobile/tabletop one.

On my mobile devices (which surprisingly are more powerful than my desktop/laptop aging computers these days) I far prefer the game pages, because they automatically scale to my screen size, because the phone loads the page fairly quickly, and because my fat thumbs don't need to click on tiny little buttons. The standard pages are completely intolerable.

On the desktop, the pages load slowly, there's a lot of useless white space, the power of my scroll wheel has been almost completely neutralized, requiring instead multiple clicks. The old page gives more information faster and in an easier to use format.

Altogether, I'd like to see the whole site converted. I would gladly handle the "downgrade" on my desktop to be able to use the full site on my mobile devices, which are more numerous and newer.

Pete (will keep using he site heavily either way)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moray Johnson
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
The loading times are a real problem. My understanding is that the redesign is on pause until they can recreate the code in a new programming environment?

So now we're stuck with a sub-optimal game page interface? Nice.

Here it just runs horribly when using mobile. The old one worked perfectly fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.