Pierre Maurier
France
flag msg tools
Dear all,

I was gifted this game for Christmas and just tried to play recently.
I was playing solo with Roland Banks using the introduction deck.
Everything was going very smoothly (I was a bit lucky and getting clues is easy for Roland, had only 1 damage and 1 horror on my character) until I got to the part where the Ghoul Priest enter in play.

This turn I had already used two actions (discovered the last clue and then moved to the hallway).

As I understand it, the Ghoul Priest enters in play in the same room that I am since I am forced to use the clues in this room. As I'm the only player it will be engaged with me right away.

So I'm engaged with a creature with 5 health, 4 "fight power". Only 1 action left.
I don't have any weapons already in play (as I had a magnifying glass and a book to help with the clue finding), I have some in my hands but I can't play then otherwise the Ghoul Priest will make me insane me instantly (Attack of opportunity and then the regular attack = 2x2 horror = 5).
I understand that Lita can help me if I parley with her, but to do so you need to get to the place she is. If I try to move the Ghoul Priest will attack me (attack of opportunity), and follow me! And make me insane in the enemy phase.
So I can't move, I can't get weapons, and I can't kill the Ghoul Priest in one blow. Maybe I can try to escape? But I only have 2 agility and it has 4. I have a card in hand to gain 2 agility. This is a risky test as I don't have room for any negative token.

In the end I tried to escape, I failed with a -1 token.
The Ghoul Priest then attacked.
Result: 3 damage, 3 horror.

The next round an other Ghoul showed up, but it did not matter because my fate was sealed: it was impossible for me to escape because with a 2 vs a 4 it would always be a fail no matter the token. I could not play a card because the Ghoul Priest would kill me instantly. I could not move. There was no possibility to kill the Ghoul Priest as 5 damage was not possible to do in 3 actions.

What did I do wrong? I should have slowed down and wait before I revealed the next Act. But the rule book told me that investigators would like to go through the Act deck quickly while avoiding to advance the Story deck. I felt cheated because with only 1 damage and 1 horror I felt very safe.

It feels like it was very easy until it was impossible in an instant.

On my next play I spend several turns drawing cards and playing weapons before revealing the Ghoul Priest. And it was much easier. But it felt like "cheating" as I already knew the exact stats of the Ghoul Priest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Them's the breaks! Welcome to Arkham!

But really, there is one thing you missed -- for Act 2 of this scenario, you have to turn in the clues at the end of the round. That means after your actions, the enemy phase, and the refresh phase. So you'd complete those phases; THEN advance the act, introducing the Priest and Lita; then go to the next round, starting with the Mythos phase (which gives you the second ghoul, but at least you have three actions and another card this time).

You do sometimes want to be careful about leaving yourself with few actions to react to a change. I try not to go into a new location when I'm down on actions remaining, for example.

Don't feel that it's cheating. Part of the game is replaying scenarios. Later scenarios introduce more randomness, so you won't always know what to expect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should never feel comfortable. The game is intended to drive you to the brink of insanity. You will have a hard time getting the most positive outcome of any new scenario on your first run through.

The game is intended to be very challenging, if you were to breeze through the game on your first try what would be your motivation to play again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Maurier
France
flag msg tools
That's what I missed! Thank you!

Still it would have been quite difficult, but at least I would have had 3 actions to try to get some help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuliano Bartolucci
Italy
fano
Pesaro Urbino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And for the future remember that Resign -IS- an option indeed. Leave to fight another day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to pick up this game, so let me ask the question this way:

I've played a lot of coop games (most of which can be soloed) and I've noticed a range from rather easily beaten like Castle Panic to getting constantly punched in the face by the random and almost always losing like Ghost Stories or Space Hulk Death Angel. Pandemic sits kinda in the middle leaning toward the Ghost Stories end.

Where does the AH LCG sit approximately? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you'd still have been in a tight spot.

If you're playing the whole campaign, though, realize that you aren't DEAD dead. You'll just be starting scenario two with one mental trauma (add 1 horror at the beginning of scenarios 2 and 3) and a still-living Ghoul Priest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
giulibartolucci1204 wrote:
And for the future remember that Resign -IS- an option indeed. Leave to fight another day!

Only in the Parlor, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuliano Bartolucci
Italy
fano
Pesaro Urbino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CSerpent wrote:

Generally speaking

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:

I've played a lot of coop games (most of which can be soloed) and I've noticed a range from rather easily beaten like Castle Panic to getting constantly punched in the face by the random and almost always losing like Ghost Stories or Space Hulk Death Angel. Pandemic sits kinda in the middle leaning toward the Ghost Stories end.

There are four levels of difficulties in the game. Easy is easier than Pandemic, Normal is probably at about Pandemic, Hard is probably around Death Angel, Very Hard is like playing Death Angel while jumping out of a plane and you can only deploy your parachute if you win, but it's only 2 minutes until you hit the ground.

Of course, this all depends on the investigator(s) you play as, and the decks you build, and how familiar you are with the scenario and what to expect. The difficulty should decrease across the board as you have a bigger pool of cards to build from. Scenarios also vary, and have different levels of win conditions for you to pursue, so even if you do terrible, you may get a "decent" outcome. There is always the opportunity for challenge in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:

I don't think this is anywhere near as brutal as Ghost Stories. The scenarios can be difficult and certainly you aren't going to "win" every scenario the first time out. There is an element of "solving" these scenarios -- learning what hazards you will definitely face and which are just likely and preparing yourself for them.

One thing that I really enjoy is that resolutions aren't a binary win or lose -- there are levels of victory. Because of the campaign, resolutions tend towards you being able to continue on with more scenarios, it's just a question of how many advantages and/or disadvantages you gain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CSerpent wrote:

Generally speaking

Well, specifically, in this scenario. Resign is only ever available as an arrow ability, not a general action. In this case, it's an ability in the Parlor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CSerpent wrote:

Generally speaking

There is no general Resign, just like there is no general Parley. When talking to someone still learning the game, it's important to be clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuliano Bartolucci
Italy
fano
Pesaro Urbino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
CSerpent wrote:

Generally speaking

There is no general Resign, just like there is no general Parley. When talking to someone still learning the game, it's important to be clear.

You're right,so, to be clear: the Resign Action, if/when/where given, can be quite an useful resource, often neglected by gamers
Didn't mean there was a general Resign thing,but only that such an Action is a generally understimated option
"Generally Speaking" could easily be an "Italianism", an inaccurate translation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:

I don't find it TOO hard, but it isn't all that easy, either. A lot of it is hand and risk management, as well as understanding where the risk comes from. For example, doing things that lead to the game revealing things if you don't have actions remaining will get you dead fast. Playing cards when you don't need to is another one. For example, one of the Core Set characters one-shot the Ghoul Priest with a specific card, but you need that card and you need to have it in hand and ready to go.

On the other hand, you don't have to WIN every scenario to win the campaign. My wife and I repeatedly got trounced on our scenarios during our third campaign and still ended up completing the bastard because we made pretty good decisions throughout (even with 2 Trauma each).

So where is it? I dunno. It can be punishing, but it isn't at the same time, because you can always come back from nasty surprises if you're prepared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to make a similar thread in strategy titled "Low Combat/Agility (Daisy Walker) + No Combat Assets + Low Health + Engaged Enemy = NO HOPE?"

I wanted to make sure I was doing everything right, and I think I was. Basically it taught me that it's important to have Assets down BEFORE you get engaged. Earlier in the game I discarded a played knife for it's +damage which might not have been the best in retrospect.

When the Ghoul Priest arrived I knew I could take only 1 or 2 Attacks. I ran to the Parlor. I think I Parley'd successfully, and maybe did one weak attack but then I was still screwed, so I Resigned. zombie

I'd be interested to hear if there are any other strategies once you get in that situation. But it seems like nothing can be done really than prepare as much as possible beforehand!

Edit: This was my second play of this scenario (first with Roland) and even though I should have known the Ghoul Priest was coming, I didn't think it through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.