Steve Miles
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
All the investigators in this expansion have the deckbuilding rule "up to five level 0 cards from any other class." Does this mean a single class or any combination of classes?

I ask not because I think the language is ambiguous, but because it seems like a steep cost for flexibility. If you could pull from multiple classes, the language would be clearer if the word "class" was replaced with "classes" or "class(es)," so I think this means up to five cards from a single class.

When I compare this to a core set investigator, the cost we're paying for flexibility seems steep. Not only are we limited to level zero cards (rather than level 0-2 for a core set investigator), but we can only have five of them (rather than "unlimited" for a core set investigator). A friend suggested that the restrictions might make more sense if we're supposed to be able to mix and match from any of the other classes. I could see someone reading it that way, even though I think it should be read as a single class, so I thought I'd ask to see what others thought.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right that the English is a bit off, but the intent is you have 5 cards of level 0, from any and all other classes. So feel free to pick one from each other class if you wish, and then figure out where you want that fifth one from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Miles
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Bobby. Glad I asked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik O'Rourke
Ireland
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
any other class.

any other class.

otherwise it would say any ONE other class.
the english isn't off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iGniGhted wrote:
any other class.

any other class.

the english isn't off.

"Any one other class" is unambiguous, but that doesn't mean "any other class" is also unambiguous. I haven't thought of a good way to express this restriction that isn't much more verbose, but it's not perfectly clear if you only look at what's in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
And also if you look at the recommended starter decks for the new investigators that FFG has recently published on their site. Even the new investigators have cards from only 2 different classes (+ neutrals) in their starter decks.

But Matt Newman, in the Team Covenant unboxing video for the Dunwich Legacy, did confirm that you can include up to five cards from any of the other four classes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
iGniGhted wrote:
any other class.

any other class.

the english isn't off.

"Any one other class" is unambiguous, but that doesn't mean "any other class" is also unambiguous. I haven't thought of a good way to express this restriction that isn't much more verbose, but it's not perfectly clear if you only look at what's in the box.

"up to five level 0 cards from any collection of classes."

Unambiguous.

"Any other class" still, to me, implies a singular (just a singular from a class other than your primary).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:

"up to five level 0 cards from any collection of classes."

Unambiguous.

Actually, this would imply that you have to take from multiple classes. People rarely refer to one item as a collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Małecki
Poland
Oława
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not simply: "Up to five level 0 cards from any classes".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Heusenstamm
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
Editor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How SURE are we that it is 5 from ANY and ALL other classes (for example 1 from Guardian and 2 from Rogue etc.)? The new suggested starting deck for Ashcan for example only draws cards from 1 other. (Same for the others with that restriction)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benji_online wrote:
How SURE are we that it is 5 from ANY and ALL other classes (for example 1 from Guardian and 2 from Rogue etc.)? The new suggested starting deck for Ashcan for example only draws cards from 1 other. (Same for the others with that restriction)

That is powerful evidence, and I hadn't even thought to check those when they came out.

I am not nearly as sure as I was yesterday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benji_online wrote:

The Designer says as such in the Team Covenant Video. But what does he know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
benji_online wrote:

That is powerful evidence, and I hadn't even thought to check those when they came out.

I am not nearly as sure as I was yesterday.

From the first FFG Dunwich preview article:

Where Roland Banks (Core Set, 1) is primarily a Guardian, who can use Guardian cards of levels zero through five, his Seeker tendencies are represented by his ability to utilize Seeker cards of levels zero through two.

On the other hand, the investigators from The Dunwich Legacy don't have a secondary class. Instead, like Zoey Samaras (The Dunwich Legacy, 1), they have a single class, but can dabble in all the other classes, choosing as many as five level zero cards from classes other than their own.

In this way, they may offer you a shortcut to sampling all the new level zero class cards arriving in The Dunwich Legacy, along with a new neutral card and cards with levels higher than zero. For example, you might want to test Zoey Samaras in combat and play Double or Nothing (The Dunwich Legacy, 26) for a shot at extra damage. Or you might want to use the Rite of Seeking (The Dunwich Legacy, 28) so that Zoey can conduct her investigations with magic. The beauty of the matter is that because both of these cards are level zero, you can include one or two copies of each in your deck, albeit at the cost of two to four of your precious cross-class card slots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I had remembered being sure without remembering the actual evidence it was based on. I'll assume that the Starting Decks are chosen the way they are to make it a little easier for them to tell us the possible pairings of Investigators with a single Core and not have to adjust for overlap.

It definitely adds a layer of confusion for folks using nothing but the printed material + official supplemental pdf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Reid
United Kingdom
Camberley
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely ambiguous.

But thankfully, easily cleared up for me by a quick visit to this thread. Long live BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.