Marc Alexandre
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

First, I really hope the Mercury will come to Europe really soon. I know it's still only on its way to the Suez Canal, but the faster the better.

This is my questions:

- If I play a class, put stickers on the cards, the class is modified for ever in this world right? So being the first one to play a class is kind of important.

- But if we play with two parties, the upgrades of the first party will be present for the second and vice versa. So you need to play in both parties to be able to say "no, this class can't add new stickers, there is already too much in the next level cards you still don't have". So you can't just share the game between two groups? (not that I wanted to do this, I want to play everything, but just to know)

- We're supposed to keep inside the box of the class the attack modifier deck. But since it's linked to our level and might be linked to our equipment, if one member in each party use the same class, they can't just use the attack modifier of the other. So we should note the content of this deck in our character sheet?

- During a scenario, killing an enemy does not give the heroes anything? The XP at the end of the scenario is the shared XP for killing monsters and finishing the goal?


I loved my first game. It was hard, and I did not finished my combat goal, at all! This game will be awesome.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Gentzel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thagor wrote:
Hi!

First, I really hope the Mercury will come to Europe really soon. I know it's still only on its way to the Suez Canal, but the faster the better.

This is my questions:

- If I play a class, put stickers on the cards, the class is modified for ever in this world right? So being the first one to play a class is kind of important.

- But if we play with two parties, the upgrades of the first party will be present for the second and vice versa. So you need to play in both parties to be able to say "no, this class can't add new stickers, there is already too much in the next level cards you still don't have". So you can't just share the game between two groups? (not that I wanted to do this, I want to play everything, but just to know)

- We're supposed to keep inside the box of the class the attack modifier deck. But since it's linked to our level and might be linked to our equipment, if one member in each party use the same class, they can't just use the attack modifier of the other. So we should note the content of this deck in our character sheet?

- During a scenario, killing an enemy does not give the heroes anything? The XP at the end of the scenario is the shared XP for killing monsters and finishing the goal?


I loved my first game. It was hard, and I did not finished my combat goal, at all! This game will be awesome.


1. Correct.
2. You don't NEED to be in both so long as whenever someone goes to upgrade, they know to look at future cards too. Cards for your class's level 2-9 are not in a sealed envelope or anything. In theory you can look at them, but it's fair if you want to keep the knowledge hidden. An alternative would be to keep a scrap piece of paper in the class's envelope counting how many enhancements have been made.
3. So there are four attack modifier decks for the players (and one for monsters). If you play with just one group, then it's very convenient for people to just store them as-is in their class box. If you have multiple groups (unless it's two groups of two), you will HAVE to reset these decks between plays. However you can just look at your equipment and perks to fix the deck fairly easily. aka, the contents already ARE noted on your character sheet.
4. Dealing the killing blow doesn't give you anything, but whenever an enemy dies, they drop gold where they were standing. The gold can be picked up by ending your turn on that hex or using a loot action on a card. The amount of gold this gold token is worth depends on the level of the scenario.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael
msg tools
badge
Avatar
Quote:
- During a scenario, killing an enemy does not give the heroes anything? The XP at the end of the scenario is the shared XP for killing monsters and finishing the goal?


This was explained on the designer's blog.
Since not all classes are effective in killing enemies (some are support characters), giving XP based on kills will be unbalanced.
So instead, XP is gained by using specific skills.
If you want to gain lots of xp, you should use these specific skills as many times as possible.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mb
So in order to play the game with more than one group, I just have to write down all the stickers instead of actually using them, right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu Bonnaffoux
France
flag msg tools
About the stickers :

many people seem to worry to some extent about them, but I don't think they will be very commonly used in the game. Reading at the rulebook (which explains in detail how to use Enhancement) and the item cards from PnP, I think Enhancement is very expensive (in gold coins, or whatever currency the game uses) compared to just buy items. It can be explained by the fact that it does not enhance your own character only, but also all the characters from the same class that will be played after him. So, I am not sure Enhancement worth it if you don't plan to use the same class 2 or 3 times along your campaign (of course, it does not mean the same Player has to use this class over and over).

Just my 2cents (I only played the 1st scenario on Tabletopia)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skire Kreshnar
msg tools
Avatar
Casiodorus wrote:
About the stickers :

many people seem to worry to some extent about them, but I don't think they will be very commonly used in the game. Reading at the rulebook (which explains in detail how to use Enhancement) and the item cards from PnP, I think Enhancement is very expensive (in gold coins, or whatever currency the game uses) compared to just buy items. It can be explained by the fact that it does not enhance your own character only, but also all the characters from the same class that will be played after him. So, I am not sure Enhancement worth it if you don't plan to use the same class 2 or 3 times along your campaign (of course, it does not mean the same Player has to use this class over and over).

Just my 2cents (I only played the 1st scenario on Tabletopia)


I came in to say something quite similar.
From the known levels, the fact that the card stickers were a stretch goal and other implications it seems to me that you could go through the entire game without ever buying a sticker. And I don't mean by actively avoiding it, I mean the situation may never even come up where you decide to buy a sticker over other upgrades etc
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hius wrote:
So in order to play the game with more than one group, I just have to write down all the stickers instead of actually using them, right?


Why?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skire Kreshnar
msg tools
Avatar
Cliffy73 wrote:
hius wrote:
So in order to play the game with more than one group, I just have to write down all the stickers instead of actually using them, right?


Why?


If the intent is to make sure they don't benefit from each others stickers (and use up each others allowed number of stickers) then yes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hius wrote:
So in order to play the game with more than one group, I just have to write down all the stickers instead of actually using them, right?

You could also just put the stickers on the cards' sleeves, so that each player has their own sleeve for the same card. Obviously that would require re-sleeving the card each time the player changes, but that's no big hardship!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bafbegagglestic wrote:
Cliffy73 wrote:
hius wrote:
So in order to play the game with more than one group, I just have to write down all the stickers instead of actually using them, right?


Why?


If the intent is to make sure they don't benefit from each others stickers (and use up each others allowed number of stickers) then yes.


I always thought it was sort of a "research" type thing. So the Scoundrel from group A would modify a card and let all her Scoundrel buddies know "look at this neat trick I can do."

Then the Scoundrel from group B would pick up the deck and say "Wow! This is a cool trick I have learned while resting in town."

And the B Scoundrel would maybe "pay them back" by buying another upgrade for the A Scoundrel.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Feelitmon wrote:
hius wrote:
So in order to play the game with more than one group, I just have to write down all the stickers instead of actually using them, right?

You could also just put the stickers on the cards' sleeves, so that each player has their own sleeve for the same card. Obviously that would require re-sleeving the card each time the player changes, but that's no big hardship!


enhancement are for the class, independet of whom playing it. So if 2 groups have the same character and in one group a card gets enhanced, it is enhanced for both groups.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Gentzel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hius wrote:
So in order to play the game with more than one group, I just have to write down all the stickers instead of actually using them, right?


I would advise against this. If I were in that game, I'd just avoid ever using them since I'd have to be crossreferencing a piece of paper telling me what is and isn't enhanced. It'd be easy to forget if you enhanced something or not and how in the heat of combat.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
But I do TNG get it. The enhancements are for the class. So there is no reason I can see to restrict one group or another from a certain number.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skire Kreshnar
msg tools
Avatar
miloshot wrote:
bafbegagglestic wrote:
Cliffy73 wrote:
hius wrote:
So in order to play the game with more than one group, I just have to write down all the stickers instead of actually using them, right?


Why?


If the intent is to make sure they don't benefit from each others stickers (and use up each others allowed number of stickers) then yes.


I always thought it was sort of a "research" type thing. So the Scoundrel from group A would modify a card and let all her Scoundrel buddies know "look at this neat trick I can do."

Then the Scoundrel from group B would pick up the deck and say "Wow! This is a cool trick I have learned while resting in town."

And the B Scoundrel would maybe "pay them back" by buying another upgrade for the A Scoundrel.


Oh don't get me wrong, I'm completely with you on that one. In fact I even plan on leaving the stickers on cards after doing a "full reset" if that day ever comes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
miloshot wrote:
bafbegagglestic wrote:
Cliffy73 wrote:
hius wrote:
So in order to play the game with more than one group, I just have to write down all the stickers instead of actually using them, right?


Why?


If the intent is to make sure they don't benefit from each others stickers (and use up each others allowed number of stickers) then yes.


I always thought it was sort of a "research" type thing. So the Scoundrel from group A would modify a card and let all her Scoundrel buddies know "look at this neat trick I can do."

Then the Scoundrel from group B would pick up the deck and say "Wow! This is a cool trick I have learned while resting in town."

And the B Scoundrel would maybe "pay them back" by buying another upgrade for the A Scoundrel.


I think about it a bit differently. Since you pay for the enhancement, I would imagine that you hire a specialist trainer to work with you to come up with a new or modified technique. Once the technique is developed, it spreads to other members of the class throughout the town.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Alexandre
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. I forgot the gold dropped by the monsters. It would have make one of my battle goals easier.

Regarding the evolution of the class, I see it like the discovery of a new techniques for Judo in real world (or any martial art really). Once it's known, it spreads fast. Each class is like a sort of martial art. So if one discover how to add X to a certain move, fastly every trained people of this class learn this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.