1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Tragedy Looper» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Anyone up for a PBF game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
I see the forum is really quite and frankly I love this game but don't get to play it as much as I want to (read: barely ever)

Was wondering if anyone are up to maybe start another game?

(Only did the first 2 scripts)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nan Lin
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who's masterminding? I've also only done the first two scripts - the only person I can reliably convince to play this game isn't willing to touch the regular difficulty scripts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mundt
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm willing to Mastermind, if you need one. Always up for a game of this. :)

I even have the first expansion, if you want to try one of the scripts from that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Sounds great to me. Normal or expansion as I said, never went past the first 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mundt
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Up to you guys. I just got access to Cosmic Evil as well, so I can do a Basic Tragedy, Midnight Zone, Mystery Circle, Prime Evil, or Cosmic Mythology set plot. Or, I can come up with an original script. Which would you guys prefer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan F T
Colombia
Bogota
DC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mundt
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: Expansion to use
OK, so since we have our three players, let's see which Tragedy Set you guys want to play! I'm down with anything, so vote above please!
Which Tragedy Set to play!
Basic Tragedy
Midnight Zone
Mystery Circle
Cosmic Mythology
Prime Evil
      4 answers
Poll created by Tuxian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
I went over some of the expansion rulebooks online. They look very interesting but found myself pondering some rulling issues (which aren't that big of a deal since we can just ask Ian) but I figured best to start off simple and so went with Basic.

Though, if others still prefer, I'm fine with anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mundt
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind answering rules questions, what's puzzling you, Tomer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
I only read the summary aids for the expansions so I'm guessing it's likely explained in the manual.

Cosmic Evil

There is the Unkillable trait for roles and not sure if they get to die due to some reason (let's say a serial killer) does that mean we don't know something happened at all? Or do know they were supposed to die but nothing happened?

Also there was this thing about curses attached to locations and characters and not sure how that works.

And some of the incident having something called "mob incident" and didn't know what that means.

In Midnight Circle, the Secret Record plot says that protagonists loose if some roles are revealed, that means only revealed via an effect or rule like, for example office worker good will ability, right?
Not just if, for example, the brain uses its ability and exposes himself.

For stuff like Fated Connections, do the extra cards stay for the rest of the game? Or do only 1 character get the extra loop?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mundt
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:

Cosmic Evil

There is the Unkillable trait for roles and not sure if they get to die due to some reason (let's say a serial killer) does that mean we don't know something happened at all? Or do know they were supposed to die but nothing happened?

If a Role has the "Unkillable" trait, then they cannot die for any reason at all. If someone with Unkillable was alone with a Serial Killer, nothing would happen, and nothing would be announced by the Mastermind (this is one way to suss out a Time Traveller, to try and kill them).

Quote:

Also there was this thing about curses attached to locations and characters and not sure how that works.

In Prime Evil, the "Extra Cards" are used to represent Curses, lingering auras of bad luck and negativity.

At the end of each day, the Mastermind must follow the following steps:
1) If any Characters have a Curse attached, kill that character. Then remove the Curse from the corpse, and place it in the Location.
2) If any Locations have a Curse (that did not just get removed from a corpse), attach that Curse to a living Character in that Location.

Quote:

And some of the incident having something called "mob incident" and didn't know what that means.

Mob Incidents are special things. The theme for Prime Evil is old horror movies and monster flicks and such. To go along with that, when playing Prime Evil, Intrigue counters on a Location correspond to the corpses of "innocent bystanders" killed during the carnage going on. A Mob Incident is an Incident that has a Location as a Culprit instead of a Character. The trigger for Mob Incidents is at least that many corpses in the area on the specified day, either via Intrigue tokens or Character corpses.

Quote:

In Midnight Circle, the Secret Record plot says that protagonists loose if some roles are revealed, that means only revealed via an effect or rule like, for example office worker good will ability, right?
Not just if, for example, the brain uses its ability and exposes himself.

Correct, a role is only Revealed if the Mastermind is required to say at some point "This character is <role X>" such as the Office Worker or Shrine Maiden's Goodwill abilities.

Quote:

For stuff like Fated Connections, do the extra cards stay for the rest of the game? Or do only 1 character get the extra loop?

For Fated Connection, the Extra Card is placed at the start of loop, after the board has reset. It does not remain from Loop to Loop, so the Mastermind could change who it attaches to, based on who died in the previous Loop. And yes, this DOES have synergy with Dice of the Gods, in which case the Mastermind could potentially place TWO Extra Cards into play, and BOTH marked characters would become Key Persons. Throw in a Faked Suicide incident too... devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mundt
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To add on to the last bit, just looking at the plot sheet, one particularly insidious way for a Mastermind to get a win is to plan a Confession for the Brain, Factor or Magician on the final day, spend an entire loop bluffing and have them reveal on the final day. Would really keep the Protagonists guessing about why they lost, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nan Lin
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I haven't replied, wasn't feeling well this weekend.

While I have both expansions, I'd also prefer Basic Tragedy since I haven't tried any of those yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mundt
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basic Tragedy it is then! I'll pick one out, and post the info card and starting setup for you guys, and we can get started!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mundt
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All righty, here we go! We'll be playing Script #4.

Incident List

Initial Board setup

Do you guys want to do 3 loops, or 4? 3 loops is rated 4/8 for difficulty, 4 loops is 3/8.

Also, we'll be using the new version of the Informer, her ability now looks like this:

Since this is a Basic Tragedy script, we'll be a little restrictive on table talk. It won't be fully off, but I ask that you restrict your table talk to only between days and at end of loop, if possible.

For making your plays, I have two options I will ask you three to choose from. You can either pledge to play fairly and use spoiler tags to note what you are playing, or you can geekmail me your play and just note in the thread where you are playing. If you want to use the spoiler option, it would look like this:

"I play a card on the Shrine Maiden."
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Horizontal move

Again, up to you guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
I think the honor system is good enough, after all, if we wanted to cheat we could always just send private messages to each other without telling you anyway.

So spoiler tags are fine by me, though again, if anyone desires otherwise I'm okay with that as well.

Just to be sure, that means we get to discuss basically before mastermind cards are being played and no talks until next day?
Does that apply for the first day as well?

We also have Final Guess too, right?

EDIT: One last question, Missing Person can't move the Patient, right? The movement still has to be legal, correct?

P.S
Just curious, where do you get the images from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mundt
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you may discuss before the first day begins, and between days. Once I play my cards, until the card plays are resolved talk is off. You have a Final Guess, if you need it.

Missing Person must be a legal move.

The images come from the program Tabletop Simulator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Okay so let's kick things off.

Not likely to have Change of Future since there's no Butterfly Effect incident. It's not 100% guarantee but I'll go with it for now

We have 4 incidents and Rich Man's daughter so most likely she's the culprit of at least one of them with a paranoia limit of 1.
I'm really hoping it's not the final suicide and she's the key person. Cause if that's the case we're totally screwed.

Missing Person would be pointless unless he has a specific role he wants to use her for (or if she's a key person and he wants her killed) - in which case he'll reveal himself too easy to be blocked next loop.

So going in between, I'll guess she does the increase unease which will give him s lot of free room to trigger almost anything.

No Doctor means Patient doesn't leave hospital for the entire game. This could be really good if we need to protect him and bad if we need to kill him.

9 Characters means at least 1 character is a person (since 1 main plot and 2 sub plots = max 8 roles)

So what do we aim for on day 1?

It's basically a question of whether we want to let him run wild on the first loop and get more information on his options or actively try and stop him and see if we can push him to a corner to reveal stuff he's not prepared for yet.

If it's the former, then we would probably aim for Good Will abilities or moving people around to exclude Serial Killers.

If we aim to try and block him (blindly), I think making sure Rich Man's Daughter doesn't trigger her potential incident and if I'm right that's on day 2.

It's absolutely possible that the Rich Man's Daughter is just a bluff and I'm completely overthinking this... But since we're talking pre-determined script, I'm think it's a decent guess.

Overall (TLDR):
Option 1:
We let him have a "free" turn while going for good will
In which case, Good Will on Office Worker and Informer (Shrine Maiden is harder to achieve) and Diagonal movement on Journalist to exclude serial killers

Option 2:
We try to force his hand and see he's going to go after Rich Man's Daughter paranoia.

I say maybe go for good will +2 on girl student (In case there's a conspiracy theorist in the school already that can add paranoia to Rich Man's Daughter), -1 paranoia on rich man's daughter and diagonal movement on anyone in the city.

Both options are fine with me (and better keep him guessing which one we'll take), but if anyone want to suggest anything - now is the time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nan Lin
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say option 2 with the caveat that if no card is played on the RMD, we don't put -paranoia on her. Also, anticipating forbid goodwill, we may want to pick the boy student instead if there is a card played on the girl student. Flip a coin in case of both.

As for what to pick if RMD doesn't get a card... I'd lean towards goodwill on the office worker but suggest 3rd player decides after mastermind play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Fine by me. Juan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mundt
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*watches the tumbleweeds blow by*

We still doing this? Hope Juan's okay...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nan Lin
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We can always start and let him join in later if he comes back. How's player order going to work here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mundt
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Figured I'd let you guys figure out what order you wanted to pass Leader around in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Nan, any preference? Whatever you decide is fine with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nan Lin
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you proposed the plan, you can start as leader That makes the order for the first day Ian-Nan-Ian I guess?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.