GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,551 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Kanagawa» Forums » General

Subject: Expansions expected? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Wintermans
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hi,

I'm deciding between buying this game or Takenoko and I'm curious if there are expansions to be expected for Kanagawa, and if so, when is the first one planned. It seems like a game where you'd expect them, and it's a reason for me to go for this game.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like a very nice self-contained experience as it is. I don't really see how an expansion can add much to the game.

Though, the two games are different enough in gameplay, Kanagawa is a cleaner, more streamlined experience in a much more palatable size and play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Since the game just came out, why screw over purchasers by putting out an expansion? That would be just a way to treat your customers like ATMs. I don't think it needs one. And if they were to, unfortunately, do one, I hope they wait at least 2 or more years. And no mini-expansions. Nice just to have a complete game. Compare to the mess that is now Cacao. A simple game bloating and metastasizing under the weight of both major and mini-expansions.

The more simple "zen" nature of this game also contraindicates any need for any expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bueschel
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am unsure if this game needs an expansion or how it would play out. This is one of those zen games where it is a little more relaxing to play but still very fun.

Takenoko is more of a family style game.

I really like both of them I say get them both as they are so different. I would say buy this one first as Takenoko is readily available and is more of an evergreen title
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bueschel
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MPMelanchthon wrote:
The more simple "zen" nature of this game also contraindicates any need for any expansion.

I was writing my response when lunch was called. Glad to see I am not the only person to think this is a "zen" game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
prrt949 wrote:
MPMelanchthon wrote:

I was writing my response when lunch was called. Glad to see I am not the only person to think this is a "zen" game

To me, this could be the most "zen" board game available right now. That is its great beauty. And the look, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tyree
United States
Dayton
Ohio (OH)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MPMelanchthon wrote:
prrt949 wrote:
MPMelanchthon wrote:

To me, this could be the most "zen" board game available right now. That is its great beauty. And the look, of course.

Absolutely, esp. if you play 2p and reduce the competitive aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tyree
United States
Dayton
Ohio (OH)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To the OP, I would think Kanagawa really doesn't need an expansion. Truthfully, I think an expansion for it would be something that gets in the way of an excellent game.

Takenoko is a great game, and its expansion is nice, though not necessary. It adds some to the strategy, but the absence of Chibis doesn't leave me feeling like the game is incomplete.

Both games are visually pleasing and have simple, elegant rule sets. I might give a slight edge to Kanagawa for art/presentation, but the advantage is negligible. They have fairly different gameplay, if you prefer greater player interaction I would give the edge to Takenoko. That said, as previously stated, I second the idea that they are different enough to warrant owning both. I also think that Takenoko has demonstrated legs, would expect it to be in print for a long time. Kanagawa just got here, hard to say for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Massively popular game = expansion(s). You can bet there will be an expansion at some point.

People's lack of imagination in seeing how an expansion could be added to this game is amusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
Massively popular game = expansion(s). You can bet there will be an expansion at some point.

People's lack of imagination in seeing how an expansion could be added to this game is amusing.

In light of the sheer number of bad & mediocre expansions, major and mini, out there, as well as the voracious nature of game publishers when it comes to attempting to empty gamer wallets, I think we can all "imagine" expansions.

The better question though is... Is there any real need given the nature of the game? I think the answer is NO. At least not for a couple years. Because to release an expansion so soon is just an attempt to milk gamers dry of money (as it would likely imply that it was designed with the original game but deliberately kept out to be released as a separate purchase).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MPMelanchthon wrote:
Misterboy wrote:

In light of the sheer number of bad & mediocre expansions, major and mini, out there, as well as the voracious nature of game publishers when it comes to attempting to empty gamer wallets, I think we can all "imagine" expansions.

The better question though is... Is there any real need given the nature of the game? I think the answer is NO. At least not for a couple years. Because to release an expansion so soon is just an attempt to milk gamers dry of money (as it would likely imply that it was designed with the original game but deliberately kept out to be released as a separate purchase).

You can rely on the good will of a company all you want. I tend to rely on their desire to make money.

But let's set aside your "better question" for now. I was simply answering the OP's question.

I'll recap: there absolutely will be 1 or more expansions for the game. My guess is that one will arrive next year along with a reprint, but this is just an educated guess based on most game's cycles. I'm not even sure if the first run has sold out at the distributor's level.

If the thread wants to discuss the possible merits of this game getting an expansion, it's welcome to, but that wasn't the OPs question. And frankly, the arguments made regarding that question are amusing thus far, IMO. Why? Because designers consistently show an amazing ability to create expansions that nobody expected. In fact, this is the norm. It's amusing when arm-chair game designers feel confident in declaring that a game does not need and will not benefit from an expansion. It shows a lack of imagination, which I was referring to earlier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
MPMelanchthon wrote:

It's right up there with Kodama: The Tree Spirits in that regard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Villeurbanne
flag msg tools
publisher
I no longer work for IELLO.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
I'll recap: there absolutely will be 1 or more expansions for the game. My guess is that one will arrive next year along with a reprint, but this is just an educated guess based on most game's cycles. I'm not even sure if the first run has sold out at the distributor's level.
surprisesurprisesurprise

You know more than me about this. Thanks for the heads up! whistle

More seriously, making an expansion is not really up to the publisher. If the designers don't have any good ideas (or even the intention) to expand the game, well, there's not much we can do about it.

And I'm no fortune teller, but I really wouldn't bet on an expansion: like several people here, we think Kanagawa is its own complete experience that needs nothing else than its own. That's why we decided not to make any in-game goodies for it (unlike most of our other games).
So yes, we're a company, we like to make money (I certainly like to get paid at the end of the month… It helps! ), but we're also board game enthusiasts who wouldn't ruin a game with a useless expansion.
Of course, if Charles and Bruno come to us with good ideas, we'll definitely consider them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattintheweb wrote:
Misterboy wrote:
surprisesurprisesurprise

You know more than me about this. Thanks for the heads up! whistle

More seriously, making an expansion is not really up to the publisher. If the designers don't have any good ideas (or even the intention) to expand the game, well, there's not much we can do about it.

And I'm no fortune teller, but I really wouldn't bet on an expansion: like several people here, we think Kanagawa is its own complete experience that needs nothing else than its own. That's why we decided not to make any in-game goodies for it (unlike most of our other games).
So yes, we're a company, we like to make money (I certainly like to get paid at the end of the month… It helps! ), but we're also board game enthusiasts who wouldn't ruin a game with a useless expansion.
Of course, if Charles and Bruno come to us with good ideas, we'll definitely consider them.

Fair enough. Thanks for the input!

Like I said, it was an "educated guess" and I still expect to see an expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Cerra
United States
Ames
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kanagawa doesn't NEED an expansion, but one could be easily made: Simply add a category of cards -- bodies of water, for example (lake, river,waterfall, seashore) -- then add a few more diplomas. Simple and inexpensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
#BIG THEORETICAL CONJECTURE

Stand-alone, integratable, version in a few years. Much like King of Tokyo.
They could have another scenario, maybe even 5 players

But, this specific product would lose a lot of its appeal with shaking it up. It would either be another Type, or possibly worse 3-4 Paint requiring pieces that offer 2+ points. There is always room for 'bigger but thr same' ideas. This however would lose its quant place and smooth flow.

That said, 7 Wonders Duel: Pantheon! If enough people overplay this and get this intk the Top 20 games on BGG, expecf some ideas to float around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
szczepan marciniec
msg tools
It would be nice to see some promo cars crossing over with "Tokaido"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.