Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm a seasoned RftG player?

From reading the rules, I can't convince myself... Am I missing new worthy elements/mechanics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have any family/friends that are too intimidated to play Race? This could scratch that itch for you and maybe be a gateway drug game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
As a quick filler while waiting for other players to either arrive or finish a game. That's a common use case in one of the test groups, which also plays Race and Roll. Jump Drive takes about half the time of Race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ErikPeter Walker
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/145148/
badge
Expand
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible to like more than one thing. Sorry but the question seems all too smug. Why would you buy Chess, or Coup, or Felix: The Cat in the Sack? They're different games.

Maybe you like the theme of Race and would like to see it in a different game.

Maybe you like paying with cards and card sifting as mechanics, and would like to try them in a different game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hulgan
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really liked The City so I'm interested in this one. Not sure if the theme and extra gameplay will get it played ore or less, but I'm excited to find out how different this one really is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played yet (come, preorder...), but I'm looking forward to the quick playtime and that the cards score each turn. It looks like an interesting and fast tableau game, which is always welcome. (And my group plays Race so slowly... I'm hoping they won't agonize as much on this one. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My partner asked the same question. I said, "well, it's simpler and it's quick" and she says, "but Race is already simple and quick."

So I said, "well, I like to get all the different versions of Race" and she says, "but didn't you get rid of that one that came with the plastic planes"

and so I said, "well, it's designed by the same guy that did Race and his things are always interesting even if they're not always my taste" and she says, "oh, well, if it's designed by the same guy, then sure, get a copy."

whew! I was running out of ideas.

Hats off to you, Tom. Your name makes the difference!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Kaplounenko
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
I now have full access to your systems.
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
"well, it's designed by the same guy that did Race and his things are always interesting even if they're not always my taste"

See, I just start with that. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
So I said, "well, I like to get all the different versions of Race" and she says, "but didn't you get rid of that one that came with the plastic planes"

Which version of Race had plastic planes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Voxen wrote:
Sorry but the question seems all too smug. Why would you buy Chess, or Coup, or Felix: The Cat in the Sack? They're different game.

Really?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kusinohki wrote:
Butterfly0038 wrote:

Eminent Domain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
kusinohki wrote:
Butterfly0038 wrote:

Eminent Domain

cute. (I should have thought of that though)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
kusinohki wrote:
Butterfly0038 wrote:

Eminent Domain

... well played, Jimmy's partner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Race takes less than 20 minutes with two players. I'm curious as to what RG means when they say Jump Drive is "shorter".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Tang
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bchlax944 wrote:
Race takes less than 20 minutes with two players. I'm curious as to what RG means when they say Jump Drive is "shorter".

Ten minutes for two players. I'd wager that most of the time is spent drawing cards and discarding cards in the income phase... At least this is true in my experience.

Added: There are usually six rounds of simultaneous play, so play time doesn't increase that much for the full complement of four players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
bchlax944 wrote:
Race takes less than 20 minutes with two [experienced] players. I'm curious as to what RG means when they say Jump Drive is "shorter".

Jump Drive plays in 10 minutes with 2 experienced players.

But... Jump Drive, if played as a "filler" while waiting for other players to arrive or finish, plays in 15 minutes or less with 3 or 4, whereas 3 or 4 player Race is often 1/2 hour or more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How often do reshuffles happen in Jump Drive? A reshuffle could be a significant percentage of the game time if it's 10 mins!

I may buy it to play with my children since my 9 year old seems interested in learning Race. JD might be easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
zabdiel wrote:
How often do reshuffles happen in Jump Drive?

Depends on # of players, whether the game goes to 7 rounds or just 6, and how many player build big income in excess of 10 cards/round (getting more selection, but having to discard cards every turn).

2P: 0-1 reshuffles (usually none)
3P: 1 reshuffle
4P: 1-2 reshuffles (1 in a 6 round game; 2 in a 7 round game)

Quote:
I may buy it to play with my children since my 9 year old seems interested in learning Race. JD might be easier.

That's the intent. Let me know if you do this and A) whether Jump Drive works for a 9 year old (it did once during testing) and B) whether Jump Drive eventually works as a "stepping-stone" to Race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rain
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
bchlax944 wrote:
Race takes less than 20 minutes with two [experienced] players. I'm curious as to what RG means when they say Jump Drive is "shorter".

10 minutes with 2 experienced players.

and 40 minutes with 2 very experienced players using expansions

I'm looking forward to 20 minute games of Jump Drive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
kusinohki wrote:
Butterfly0038 wrote:
"but didn't you get rid of that one that came with the plastic planes"

Eminent Domain :p

Haha, i thought she was referring to Roll, with the cups as the "planes".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert Figuière
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
Butterfly0038 wrote:
kusinohki wrote:
Butterfly0038 wrote:
"but didn't you get rid of that one that came with the plastic planes"

Eminent Domain :p

Haha, i thought she was referring to Roll, with the cups as the "planes".

Cups, not saucers ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Wilson
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I'll probably get it.

I love Race, but can only play on line. My group will play roll, which is 30-40 minutes. A shorter game would be nice.

On a side note...my wife humors me every now and then by playing Race, but it turns into "OK, so what should I play now?" Essentially a game against myself. She laughs when I congratulate her on a win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an express version of a game that was already very quick. The only thing that dragged RftG playtime down was sorting out all the starting worlds from the deck after the game. There's none of that this time around, even the cards that are always available have different card backs. (Not mentioning the starting hand cards because both games have that and nobody uses them for that purpose after the first game.)

Strategically, they're similar, but it looks like Jump Drive has more potential for a player sling-shotting their way to victory. For a light game that plays quickly, I don't mind.

If there's anything Jump Drive has that Race doesn't is the decision as to when you should switch from income to VPs more often seen in games like Dominion. (Though Race does have this decision if you're building a consume/produce cycle--when does that Trade become 2x VP?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After watching Zee Garcia's review this game has now made it to my want list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Craig Trader
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
How often do reshuffles happen in Jump Drive? A reshuffle could be a significant percentage of the game time if it's 10 mins!

Depends on your card income. I've had a couple of games where more than one player were drawing 15 or more cards per turn. (The most I've had was a 22-card income when I had 6 cards in hand; picking the best cards out of that mess was time-consuming.)

- Craig -

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.