Subject: Fixing the Stowaway...thematically rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bret Strauch

Fayetteville
Arkansas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So let's face it. The Stowaway role card is terrible. In my group we've been removing it from the game, so that no one was stuck with a card with no special ability and without the power to vote. However, I want to use all the cards. So in order to fix this card, I have come up with a fix that I wanted feedback on and will be using in my next games to see how it functions.

Here is the change:

Change stowaway power to "The stowaway cannot be the target of player or dice abilities until the 2nd Power-up is rolled. Stowaway cannot vote."

First this will keep the original "ability" in place. Second, and more importantly, I think the new ability makes sense thematically. The crew would not know a stowaway is on board until later in their journey. And since they were not original a crew member they get no vote.

Also, I don't think this would make the stowaway overpower when compared to the other character roles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Street
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It sounds like it could be a bit unwieldy if you're not able to use parasite check or anything on that player. Haven't tried it though, just my thought - maybe I'm wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Strauch

Fayetteville
Arkansas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've used this variant for a while now in my game group, with new and experienced players and it has worked out well. Keep in mind in this variant, parasite checks can still effect the Stowaway, but not until after the second lightning bolt has been rolled; they are only exempt from player and dice actions for about 1/3 of the game...sometimes far less depending on how quick those lighting bolts come out.

In our games, players will sometimes prepare by reserving a parasite die to use on the Stowaway as soon as the first lightning bolt is rolled, or use the first parasite check rolled to check that player after the second has been rolled.

Also, there have been games when no one has checked the Stowaway's parasite or affiliation but that is typically because their status has been figured out by simple deduction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sakic
msg tools
We just changed the Stowaway card so that if anyone gets it, they actually are a Xenobiologist (can check their own parasite card). The Xenobiologist was a promo card, so that was a way to incorporate it into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.