GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,939 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Pentaquark» Forums » General

Subject: PDFs of Playmat and Detailed Rulebook Would Be Useful rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is very interesting but it is not well served by its mode of presentation. I would have learned to play it in minutes if there had been a playmat included that not only listed the zones, but what happened in each sub-zone. For example, there could be a "Background" zone marked with "Discard Confined" and "Annihilate Free" sub-zones on it. As it is, I did not understand the game until I watched the designer's video. Some of the rules have changed since the video was made, and at least one of the named zones has changed from "Scattered" to "Background." Nevertheless, the video was very helpful.

I strongly suggest that the publisher or the designer release a simple playmat, even a black-and-white PDF, for beginners. I don't need a playmat now after watching the video, but this was about the most painful microgame that I have ever had to learn.

In addition to a playmat, I suggest adding a searchable PDF of the rules with additional examples and graphics. Some rules need a few pictures and explanations (e.g., quark and anti-quark annihilation, given that "anti-quark" is not defined in the rules). I understand now that "quark and its anti-quark" include things like a blue strange quark and a green anti-strange quark. I only figured this out from the video and had no idea what this meant from reading the rules.

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bacher
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Okami
mbmbmbmbmb
Which video was it that you found helpful? I hope to benefit from that also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the video. The background zone used to be called "scattered." The rule about annihilating quarks in the beam is now an optional advanced rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bacher
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Okami
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sevan Kirder Hegetschweiler
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that the playmat? Does it normally have cards printed on the playmat?

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AFAIK, yes, that is the play mat, or at least a draft version of it. I don't own it, so I can't say for sure, but my guess is that card images would not be printed on the play mat. It looks like the major sections of the board are labelled, so I don't see an advantage of putting card images on there as well. I suspect this particular image is intended to show a game in progress, rather than the play mat all by itself. But I'm sure the creator or someone who owns the play mat can confirm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.