37 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for deeper two player board games. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Casira
msg tools
Hello! First post. Looking for a deeper two player board game with more interesting decisions.
Two player games I have:
ACBAS
Jaipur
Battle Line
Patchwork

Suggestions don't have to be exclusively two player games. I see a lot of the same games in these posts and they are a little more on the lighter side, is that all there is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ACBAS I assume is Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small, yes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play exclusively 2 player and prefer heavier games. Along those lines I'd recommend Uwe Rosenberg's Fields of Arle, A Feast For Odin, and if you want something even meatier give The Colonists a try. All these are great for 2 players. I also think Brass is excellent for 2 players.

Welcome to the forum by the way. And get yourself a microbadge on me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
when i get home, i'm so tired. just roll over, please, i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Android: Netrunner
Twilight Struggle

These are both quite a bit heavier than the games you mentioned, but both excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sick01 wrote:
I see a lot of the same games in these posts and they are a little more on the lighter side, is that all there is?

So many Euros work great at 2 players and you can pick one based on the level of complexity you desire.

Some examples:
Light-Medium: Coal Baron, Grand Austria Hotel
Medium: The Castles of Burgundy, Concordia, Lewis & Clark, Rococo
Heavier: Alchemists, Trickerion: Legends of Illusion, The Gallerist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lithuania
Vilnius/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyflower is an excellent 2 player game (although supports more) that is medium weight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Castles of Burgundy and Alchemists.

There are tons of heavier games, though rarely are they exclusively two player. I'd recommend, if nothing more than a starting point, The Manhattan Project, Merchants & Marauders, Dominion, Tiny Epic Western, and Tiny Epic Galaxies as a place to start your research. Don't be afraid of games that aren't two players only--there are a lot that scale really well and give you the heavier experience you're looking for. My suggestions are not the heaviest out there, and mainly probably represent the med to med-high area. (We have two kids, so heavier games are not practical right now.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
War of the Ring 2nd edition

Amazing game. Assymetrical game play. Highly thematic.

However, the person playing the "light" side will be getting attacked a lot --- so if either of you have an aversion to this, it might not be the game for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sick01 wrote:
Suggestions don't have to be exclusively two player games. I see a lot of the same games in these posts and they are a little more on the lighter side, is that all there is?

Not all there is by a long shot. The suggestion for War of the Ring (Second Edition) is, from my perspective, the best so far, but might be a step too far. Can you narrow your request down a bit in terms of playing time and subject matter? If price or table space are factors, name those as well.

There are literally hundreds of games I might suggest that are heavier than the ones you mention and good for two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casira
msg tools
Time isn't really a factor or table space. I'm not a fan of sandboxy games. I considered feast of Odin, but it's often composed to Caverna which I didn't enjoy. I really like concordia, but with two and the base maps, seem far too open. Each person builds there own way. Looking for something with replayability, analysis paralysis, multiple paths to victory, and not abstract, doesn't lose much when scaling down, and is tense and probably punishing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin W
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
mbmbmbmbmb
Targi one of the most underrated 2 player games and excellent game, with a lot of decisions to make. Get it you will not regret it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heir to the Pharaoh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Jacksonville Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargames Wargames Wargames!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
sick01 wrote:
Hello! First post. Looking for a deeper two player board game with more interesting decisions.
Two player games I have:
ACBAS
Jaipur
Battle Line
Patchwork

Hawaii
Race for the Galaxy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly play 2 player games with my wife and I can recommend Lewis & Clark, our current favourite. And Manhattan Project and/or Manhattan Project Energy Empire. if you want something with a little light combat in it we also enjoy Onward To Venus.

All work well in two player but also work very well with four so I can take them to my gaming group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pax Porfiriana
Polis: Fight for the Hegemony
A Few Acres of Snow
Greenland
7 Wonders Duel
Aton
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Jacksonville Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wife's favorite games.

Innovation
Mystery Rummy Jack the Ripper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Archer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Five Tribes is better with 4 players, but we've had plenty of fun with 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe it took so long for 7 Wonders Duel to be mentioned It's not very heavy, but it feels like a much bigger and meatier game than most other games with a similar footprint and playtime.

I also want to second Trickerion, but for 2 players you should definitely make sure to get the Dahlgaard's Gifts expansion as well, as it contains some stuff that makes the 2 player game much better. Be warned though, Trickerion is a lot heavier than many of the other games mentioned. There is definitely room for deep analysis!

I've only just got Targi, and have only played it once (online) so far. But it looks very promising on emergent complexity (deep complexity that emerges from simple rules, like chess for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casira
msg tools
I did consider five tribes at one point, though does it feel samey after a few plays? Or does it stay interesting? Thanks for all the ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set
Puzzle Strike (Third Edition)
Claustrophobia
Belfort

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
I can't believe it took so long for 7 Wonders Duel to be mentioned It's not very heavy, but it feels like a much bigger and meatier game than most other games with a similar footprint and playtime.

I think because the OP was looking for deeper than Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small (average weight 2.35) and 7 Wonders Duel is going in the wrong direction, average weight 2.25.

Nice game, but I wouldn't consider it a step in the "deeper" direction from ACBAS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, many people enjoy Agricola with 2 players. A solid medium-heavy game, many more decisions than its little bro ACBAS. For one thing, you have to feed your family. And there are all kinds of interesting "occupations" etc you can specialize in. And you have fields where you can plant vegetables. Very meaty, interesting game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Bückeburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
just kidding
mbmbmbmbmb
check out Theseus: The Dark Orbit. plays pretty well with 2 players,
with some deep strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyes - either recently made available again, or about to be depending on where you live; meaty game and lots of interesting decisions to make

Keyflower - wonderful tactical game that plays well at all supported player counts; tough decisions here with only two

Steam - if you make the effort to track down (or print) some of the maps designed specifically for two players, can work nicely... although it is better with more

Hammer of the Scots - wargames can be fun if conflict is ok, and range from easily approachable fare to much more complex (Hammer is relatively easy and has a nice theme for "board game and a movie" night)

Scythe - fairly new and popular, but also scales well all the way down to two

Concordia - haven't played this yet, but it looks brilliant and is reputed to be very good with two
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.