Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Small World» Forums » Variants

Subject: My Custom Special Powers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Expansion [+] [View All]
Jake Ritter

SanAntonio
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm looking for feedback on custom Special Powers I'm going to make.


Ancient (5)- Replace all the Lost Tribe tokens still on the map with a single one of your Active race tokens. Instead of entering from the map, your conquests must begin adjacent to one of the regions. If you do not have enough tokens to replace all the Lost Tribes, replace as many as you can, and leave the remaining ones on the board—you do not use these tokens or score points for them.

Chariot-Riding (5)- You may redeploy your troops before each player’s turn. Note: Discard this power if playing with only 2-players.

Diseased (3) – During redeployment, you must return one of your race tokens to the tray. Roll the reinforcement die for each region adjacent to one of your regions that has another race (in-decline or active). If the die is 1, 2, or 3, treat the region as if it were conquered.

Gambling (4)- Whenever the reinforcement is rolled for any player’s final conquest, including yours, you may pay 1 coin to force the player to roll it again.

Mad (or Merciless, or Murderous) (5)- Collect a bonus coin for each different race (active and in-decline) you conquered this turn.

The King’s (4) - On your first turn, place your King token in your Palace token on a region you conquered. Only your King may occupy the palace. Your palace gives your King +2 defense. For each round your King is alive, score 3 bonus points. This ability continues when you go into decline. If another race conquers the region with the Palace, they can destroy or use it.

Pirate (4) – Conquer coastal regions at one less token than normal. Additionally, when you conquer a region occupied by an active race, take 1 coin from the player it and place it on the board upside down. If your Pirates or Active race occupies this region at the end of the game, add these coins to your pile. If not, discard it.

Rebellious (5)- Conquer regions occupied by the active race that occupies the most territory at one less token; when you do this, take a bonus victory coin. If you occupy the most (or are tied for the most) regions, this power has no effect.

Religious (4)- Collect a bonus coin for each different race (active or In-decline) one of your Religious are adjacent to.

Slave Master (2)- When you conquer a region with another active race, take any tokens that would have gone to the tray and add them to your hand. You can use these during redeployment and your subsequent turns as long as you always have two of your tokens on a region with the slave. You may not use enslaved tokens if you do not have two of your own race tokens with it. If the race whose token is enslaved conquers one of your regions, they can take their token back and return one of your tokens to the tray. You do not get the abilities of the races you enslave. Note: If playing with Igors, tokens that are taken as slaves do not act as corpses.

Stronghold (or Builder) (5) – During redeployment, you may add one Stronghold to the map and take a bonus victory coin. This increases defense by +2. A stronghold cannot be destroyed; it stays on the map throughout the game. It always takes an extra 2 tokens to conquer. If another race conquers your Stronghold region, they can destroy it or use it. (You have four Strongholds)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like "Gambling", simple yet adds more choice and fun to the game! Most of these home brew type powers/races (I've tried to make a few myself on BGG) the simpler the better IMO.

Pirate/Tritons could get crazy fast...arrrh
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Well I was going to try and let others have a chance at giving feedback but looks like there are no takers. But fear not thread for you shall not be ignored.

Insert usual disclaimer about please don't take things personally or feel insulted.

Jake Ritter wrote:


Ancient (5)- Replace all the Lost Tribe tokens still on the map with a single one of your Active race tokens. Instead of entering from the map, your conquests must begin adjacent to one of the regions. If you do not have enough tokens to replace all the Lost Tribes, replace as many as you can, and leave the remaining ones on the board—you do not use these tokens or score points for them.

This is a very unbalanced power. The issue with it is how badly is scales as the game progresses. If you get it turn 1 you end up maxing your conquering and if you get it on the last turn you'd be lucky to get 2 spaces out of it and no. The games where it is bad do not "counter" the games where it is good since there are no meaningful decisions involved in what makes it good and within a single game it is very unbalanced which is the test for good game design.


Quote:
Chariot-Riding (5)- You may redeploy your troops before each player’s turn. Note: Discard this power if playing with only 2-players.

I've seen this power proposed before. Overall I think it is generally inferior to defense abilities like Bivouacing and Heroic which give additional defense rather than just shuffling defense around because Chariot-Riding would be at its strongest when you have few territories and weakest when you have a lot. Unfortunately when you have few territories is when defense abilities matter the least and when you have a lot of territories is when they matter the most.


Quote:
Diseased (3) – During redeployment, you must return one of your race tokens to the tray. Roll the reinforcement die for each region adjacent to one of your regions that has another race (in-decline or active). If the die is 1, 2, or 3, treat the region as if it were conquered.

I see what you are aiming for but I don't think it's very good. That is I don't think it brings particularly good mechanics to the game. Turn 1 you have say 8 units. You conquer maybe 2 regions, next to say 5. You win 3 of your rolls. On teh following turn you now have 5 regions and 7 units one of which will die at the end of your turn. Basically this race has no meaningful decision making involved and end up offing themselves. It's also rather unfair as you could easily wipe out an adjacent opponent. Overall I probably would never want to play with it.

Quote:
Gambling (4)- Whenever the reinforcement is rolled for any player’s final conquest, including yours, you may pay 1 coin to force the player to roll it again.

Ungodly weak. You are batter off with just about any defensive or offensive ability over this one. The reinforcement die roll is not significant enough to have abilities which solely affect it even if you are affecting everyone's and having to pay for it AND being docked a unit just push it even more into the ground.



Quote:
Mad (or Merciless, or Murderous) (5)- Collect a bonus coin for each different race (active and in-decline) you conquered this turn.

Inferior to pillaging which already exists.


Quote:
The King’s (4) - On your first turn, place your King token in your Palace token on a region you conquered. Only your King may occupy the palace. Your palace gives your King +2 defense. For each round your King is alive, score 3 bonus points. This ability continues when you go into decline. If another race conquers the region with the Palace, they can destroy or use it.

I generally don't like all eggs in 1 basket abilities like this. It is unclear what the King counts as (a race token, some other type of token, does it give defense?). Regardless even if he did need defense it would only be 5 (6) tokens ot evict him which smart opponents would do instantly especially since they then would be able to use the palace for themselves (permanently modifying the board like this is usually a bad idea cause it gives opponents more incentive to attack you).

Quote:
Pirate (4) – Conquer coastal regions at one less token than normal. Additionally, when you conquer a region occupied by an active race, take 1 coin from the player it and place it on the board upside down. If your Pirates or Active race occupies this region at the end of the game, add these coins to your pile. If not, discard it.

A hybrid between Triton and Ransacking. While I see the theme you are going for, I'm not convinced that these guys are balanced as you are effectively combining 2 powers already in existence with little downside.

Quote:
Rebellious (5)- Conquer regions occupied by the active race that occupies the most territory at one less token; when you do this, take a bonus victory coin. If you occupy the most (or are tied for the most) regions, this power has no effect.

Don't like it. If you look here Desiree has a good explanation of why powers that "control" you to attack a specific opponent is generally bad. In this case it is far to easy to benefit from it and bully another player regardless if they are the one you should actually be going after.


Quote:
Religious (4)- Collect a bonus coin for each different race (active or In-decline) one of your Religious are adjacent to.

Seems fair. A different take on thieving which works on in decline factions but doesn't steal coins.


Quote:
Slave Master (2)- When you conquer a region with another active race, take any tokens that would have gone to the tray and add them to your hand. You can use these during redeployment and your subsequent turns as long as you always have two of your tokens on a region with the slave. You may not use enslaved tokens if you do not have two of your own race tokens with it. If the race whose token is enslaved conquers one of your regions, they can take their token back and return one of your tokens to the tray. You do not get the abilities of the races you enslave. Note: If playing with Igors, tokens that are taken as slaves do not act as corpses.

Sorry but this is just bad and not functional. With only 2 tokens you are not going to be able to take many slaves and even if you upped the number you would still just have very very inferior skeletons on your hand thanks to all the restrictions placed on them.


Quote:
Stronghold (or Builder) (5) – During redeployment, you may add one Stronghold to the map and take a bonus victory coin. This increases defense by +2. A stronghold cannot be destroyed; it stays on the map throughout the game. It always takes an extra 2 tokens to conquer. If another race conquers your Stronghold region, they can destroy it or use it. (You have four Strongholds)

You sorta contradicted yourself where you first say it cannot be destroyed then you say it can. As I mentioned above, permanent board modifications is tricky cause it gives incentive for your opponents to attack you. Also any power that gives automatic vp should have no more than 4 units. I suppose it could work but overall I think it would be inferior to trolls who get their defense automatically and it cannot be used by opponents.


Overall it's cool to see that you have some original ideas but unfortunately I don't see many of them being balanced/adding good mechanics to the game. Please don't be discouraged though as these things are not always easy.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.